shape
carat
color
clarity

In DESPERATE need of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Hello, fellow PS''ers!
35.gif

I''m a newbie in desperate need of your help and guidance (pretty please )
12.gif

I am needing to get my engagement ring very, very soon (if possible, within these next few days
32.gif
). I''ve been reading this forum religiously ever since I first discovered PS and feel so fortunate to have found you all and just the wealth of information that is available here. I am completely amazed at how helpful and supportive everyone (members, vendors, gemologists, etc.) is here and how quick the response time is!

And, on that note, it''s come down to that time where I now seek your wisdom and advice as well as any input you''d like to share with me. After doing my own reading and research, I''ve tried to narrow down my search to several diamonds that I am now considering purchasing. (I''ve included links with each corresponding diamond.)

The vendors I''m considering buying from are JA and GOG. GOG has been exceptionally helpful in returning my emails. They have so much info about each diamond available to view, which is great, but I haven''t found a setting on their website that I would want for my ering. I''m really focused more on the diamond as I plan on getting just a simple setting for this ring. JA is reasonably priced and they have several settings that I like and can choose from. Also, I am planning on upgrading in 2 years (hence the simple setting for now), so that''s something I''m keeping in mind as well.

Basically, what I''ve found below falls within my budget (around $5K). Anything similar to the diamonds below is what I''m looking for, so if there''s something that I''ve overlooked or a diamond that you would like to suggest, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you everyone in advance!!

PS: I can’t wait until I can join you all in posting up a picture of my very own sparkly!
4.gif

Here are the diamonds that I am considering (in no particular order):

Shape:Round
Carat Weight:0.90ct
Color: J
Clarity:VS2
GIA Cut Grade:Excellent
AGS Light Performance:Ideal
Optical Symmetry:Superior
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry:Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Width: 6.19mm
Length: 6.22mm
Depth: 3.82mm
Table Percentage:56.43%
Depth Percentage:61.52%
Crown ∠:34.56°
Pavilion ∠:40.71°

Carat weight:0.92
Cut:Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color:H
Clarity:VS1
Certificate:AGS
Depth:62.0%
Table:55.0%
Polish:Ideal
Symmetry:Ideal
Girdle:Thin to medium
Culet:None
Fluorescence:Negligible
Measurements:6.24*6.27*3.88
Crown Angle:34.8°
Crown %:15.70
pavilion Angle:40.8°
pavilion %:43.10

(my concern with this one is the strong fluorescence)
Carat Weight:0.92ct
Clarity:VS2
GIA Cut Grade:Excellent
Optical Symmetry:Superior
Polish:Excellent
Fluorescence:Strong
Width:6.20mm
Length:6.23mm
Depth:3.86mm
Table Percentage:55.50%
Depth Percentage:62.10%
Crown ∠:34.60°
Crown Depth:15.20%
Pavilion ∠:40.70°
Pavilion Depth:42.90%

(something about this one looks .. off. maybe it''s just me)
Carat weight:0.86
Cut:Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Certificate:AGS
Depth:61.9%Table:56.4%
Polish:Ideal
Symmetry:Ideal
Girdle:Thin to medium
Fluorescence:Negligible
Measurements:6.08*6.10*3.77
Crown Angle:35.0°
Crown %:15.30
pavilion Angle:40.8°
pavilion %:43.00

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
All looks great.

Personal pref will actually be the stone with strong fluor. Nothing wrong with that, just can see a blue glow in the presence of UV lightsource. As long as it don''t turn oily/hazy in sun/UV source, I don''t think GOG would stock those stones anyway but best to ask, it is good to go.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:34:08 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
All looks great.

Personal pref will actually be the stone with strong fluor. Nothing wrong with that, just can see a blue glow in the presence of UV lightsource. As long as it don''t turn oily/hazy in sun/UV source, I don''t think GOG would stock those stones anyway but best to ask, it is good to go.

lol, again.. amazed at how quickly people will respond on this forum!
21.gif

Thank you Stone-cold for your input!! Is there any particular reason as to why you personally prefer a diamond w/ fluorescence (assuming that it doesn''t turn oily/hazy)? Is it the blue glow that appeals to you? I haven''t seen a diamond w/ fluorescence (in person), so I''m not sure if I would or wouldn''t like it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:45:20 PM
Author: newbieD

All looks great.

Personal pref will actually be the stone with strong fluor. Nothing wrong with that, just can see a blue glow in the presence of UV lightsource. As long as it don't turn oily/hazy in sun/UV source, I don't think GOG would stock those stones anyway but best to ask, it is good to go.

21.gif

Thank you Stone-cold for your input!! Is there any particular reason as to why you personally prefer a diamond w/ fluorescence (assuming that it doesn't turn oily/hazy)? Is it the blue glow that appeals to you? I haven't seen a diamond w/ fluorescence (in person), so I'm not sure if I would or wouldn't like it.

Ya, special light effects that normal stones do not have. :p Similar to shinning those UV lights onto a dollar bill and seeing it glows. My stones change becomes light blue in direct sunlights. Others report glowing stones in disco light but I don't go there so I do not get to see that.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:53:55 PM
Date: 3/16/2009 8:45:20 PM

All looks great.

21.gif

Thank you Stone-cold for your input!! Is there any particular reason as to why you personally prefer a diamond w/ fluorescence (assuming that it doesn''t turn oily/hazy)? Is it the blue glow that appeals to you? I haven''t seen a diamond w/ fluorescence (in person), so I''m not sure if I would or wouldn''t like it.

Ya, special light effects that normal stones do not have. :p Similar to shinning those UV lights onto a dollar bill and seeing it glows. My stones change becomes light blue in direct sunlights. Others report glowing stones in disco light but I don''t go there so I do not get to see that.

Okay, I see. Great, thanks for your input! Do you have any experience with purchasing from GOG vs. JA?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I bought from BN and Highperformance Diamond. But from what I see on this forum, GOG and JA and both great to work with.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medium or strong blue fluorescence to me can add extra interest to a diamond, this can be down to personal preference. Just check with strong and above that this isn't causing the diamond to look cloudy in some lights, doubtful with hand selected in house diamonds, but no harm in checking. You can work with goodoldgold or James Allen with complete confidence, I have seen many happy customers from each over the years.

The diamonds you posted all look promising.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I have an H with strong blue Fluor. and it''s so beautiful and WHITE. There is no hint of yellow that I can see at all. GL

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 3:45:16 AM
No. I bought from BN and Highperformance Diamond. But from what I see on this forum, GOG and JA and both great to work with.

How was your experience w/ BN? They only have the GIA report for view, so I am a little hesitant about buying from them. But, I''ve heard good things about their diamonds. How do you think their diamonds (the ones you''ve purchased from them) compare with the ones you purchased from HPD? Thank you in advance!

I am considering this diamond from them:

Carat weight:1.06
Cut:Ideal
Color:I
Depth %:61.8%
Table %:57%
Girdle: Slightly thick
Fluorescence:None
Measurements:6.53 x 6.49 x 4.02 mm

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 5:56:55 AM
Author: Lorelei
Medium or strong blue fluorescence to me can add extra interest to a diamond, this can be down to personal preference. Just check with strong and above that this isn''t causing the diamond to look cloudy in some lights, doubtful with hand selected in house diamonds, but no harm in checking. You can work with goodoldgold or James Allen with complete confidence, I have seen many happy customers from each over the years.

The diamonds you posted all look promising.

Thank you, Lorelei! I''ll check with GOG about the fluor on that diamond.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 7:07:25 AM
Author: atroop711
I have an H with strong blue Fluor. and it''s so beautiful and WHITE. There is no hint of yellow that I can see at all. GL

Thanks for your input, atroop. I hope this will be the case with the diamond I''m considering!
The ring in your avatar is beautiful!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 11:51:01 AM

How was your experience w/ BN? They only have the GIA report for view, so I am a little hesitant about buying from them. But, I''ve heard good things about their diamonds. How do you think their diamonds (the ones you''ve purchased from them) compare with the ones you purchased from HPD? Thank you in advance!

I only know of this site after I bought the BN stone. Didn''t do enough research, unlike you. :razz: The service is good but I got a stone that was rated Ex by GIA but only 3.2 on the HCA. Not too bad but not great also... Only found this site after the 30days return period, which is why I got my second stone from HPD. :p

I would need the angles for the stone you are considering.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bear in mind also that BN do not offer an upgrade policy unlike HPD if ever that might be an option for you....The crown and pavilion angles are needed for the above diamond also.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 12:12:38 PM
Author: Lorelei

Bear in mind also that BN do not offer an upgrade policy unlike HPD if ever that might be an option for you....The crown and pavilion angles are needed for the above diamond also.

I was just thinking that the other day and decided not to go w/ BN b/c I do plan to upgrade within a few years.
I am narrowing it down between GOG and JA. I have until tomorrow to make up my mind and buy this ring, so
not much time!! Thanks so much for your help, Lorelei!
4.gif

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 12:10:49 PM

I only know of this site after I bought the BN stone. Didn''t do enough research, unlike you. :razz: The service is good but I got a stone that was rated Ex by GIA but only 3.2 on the HCA. Not too bad but not great also... Only found this site after the 30days return period, which is why I got my second stone from HPD. :p

I would need the angles for the stone you are considering.

Unfortunately, BN didn''t include angles and didn''t have copy of GIA report on their site. I emailed them, but they haven''t sent it to me, yet. I don''t think I''ll go with them anyway since I plan to upgrade. I feel like I''ve done a lot of research, but seems like the more I read and find out, the harder it is for me to make a decision!!
20.gif
lol, hopefully I''ll be able to very soon as I''m running out of time. Thanks, Stone cold.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck, if you need any help in finding stones, just ask.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:16:59 PM
Author:newbieD
Anything similar to the diamonds below is what I'm looking for, so if there's something that I've overlooked or a diamond that you would like to suggest, please feel free to let me know. [/b]
I'd say have a look at Whiteflash, their ACA (patented brand name) line, their simple setting (simplest, but all of their settings are fun to look at because they make them), and their upgrade policy. They're at least worth considering. Best regards.

http://www.whiteflash.com/

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 3:45:38 AM
Good luck, if you need any help in finding stones, just ask.

Thanks, Stone cold! I''ve narrowed it down to two... finally!!
36.gif

I just have to wait for an Iscope on one of them.
Once I get that, I''ll post links and specs to get opinions on which of the two to pick.

5.gif

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 4:27:24 AM
Author: Imdanny
Date: 3/16/2009 8:16:59 PM

Author:newbieD

Anything similar to the diamonds below is what I''m looking for, so if there''s something that I''ve overlooked or a diamond that you would like to suggest, please feel free to let me know. [/b]

I''d say have a look at Whiteflash, their ACA (patented brand name) line, their simple setting (simplest, but all of their settings are fun to look at because they make them), and their upgrade policy. They''re at least worth considering. Best regards.

http://www.whiteflash.com/

Imdanny- WF was one of the first vendors I checked out.. and their ACA''s and settings are so beautiful
30.gif
. Unfortunately, it was a little out of my price range with the size and everything else I was wanting, so I''m going with a diff vendor, but, thanks anyway!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results