shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing stones to the UK

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone out there in the UK bought either a ring or stone from an online vendor such as James Allen or Whiteflash?

If so,could you please explain how it worked and what happened with regard to customs and excise

Thanks

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I''ve previously shipped diamonds from sellers to the UK and other international locations after being sent to me for verifcation etc.

Essentially, the package is shipped with the appropriate documents declaring the values. These values are used to determine the amount of the taxes, Vat, duty etc, that you are subject to paying.

You pay the amount due when you go to get the package, generally at a Fedex office, but MIGHT also be a customs office.

Hope this helps answer your question....

Rockdoc

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spoke to Customs and Excise for when I get my ring sent to the UK.

For a Platinum Diamond ring I was told the costs would be:

VAT 17.5%
Import Duty 2.5%

This is based on the total cost of your ring + the shipping costs.

Hope this helps
1.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the UK and I''ve bought a few things from PS vendors. I have to pay a customs charge at this end. The delivery company pay the charge to get the item through customs, then deliver it to you once you pay them. Adds a couple of extra days delivery time. When I bought studs from WF, the customs + VAT was £179 (value of the purchase was around £900) to give you an idea of the additional cost.

Still a better deal than I could have got locally!

Hope that helps.

Jen

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs M - when you bought from WF did the parcel come to your house or did you have to collect it at the shipping company? I know that in the US they have to collect the parcel.....

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
It came to my house, and (naturally) I was out, so they took it back to the depot. I called and asked them to re-deliver it to my office the next day, which they did and I got my perfect little studs half way through the dullest meeting I ever attended. That was nice!
9.gif

Fed-ex use local couriers for the last part of the journey (from their depot) if it''s outside a major town, I think. One of the small advantages to living and working at the edge of nowhere!

Jen

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for replying. Its really helpful to hear from someone over here who have used WF.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results