shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing From USA to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Canadian Wonderer

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and i am rather new to the diamond world. I would first like to say ''Hi'' to everyone.

My questions is, i noticed there was a removal of excise tax into Canada from the USA. I was not aware of the cost implications before and am i correct to assume that the excise tax is now gone ?

One more question is that i have noticed that prices online are significantly less expensive than: retail stores and wholesalers here in Canada. Is this method safe and why are these websites able to supply such great diamonds at such low prices ?

I look forward to any comments or replies.

Thanks very much and happy postings !!
19.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey fellow Canadian!
35.gif
Here are great places to get your diamond in Canada: Diamond Exchange Toronto (www.diamondexchange.ca) and canadian-diamonds-wholesale.com

Where are you in Canada? I''m in Montreal, Qc.

Canadian Wonderer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

I am near Toronto, Ontario about an hour east.

Have you ever bought a diamond off the internet or through the below links ? I am looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend and have found that the prices online are much more attractive.

I am a bit leary about purchasing a diamond over the internet but maybe you can shed some light to ease my mind.

Thanks alot and i look forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome CW! I am on the West Coast (Alberta) and have made many jewellery purchases in past from Ebay, without incidence. Most parcels were mailed using the insured US Postal Service and altho Canadian Customs opened the packages, they were always carefully resealed and intact when I received them. Any taxes due were paid at the Post Office where I picked them up. BUt you are right, since the Excise Tax has been eliminated, what remains is the GST and for you the PST as well. Remember as of July 1, the GST will drop to 6%.

More recently, I have purchased two diamond bracelets online from vendors featured here on PS--one from James Allen and one from Winfields. Both experiences were pleasant and easy.

Although I was apprehensive with my first larger purchase, the delivery systems (FedEx) were efficient and took care brokering ther parcels for me. They provide you with a waiver to sign so they can do this on your behalf, and you end up paying the GST on the exchanged rate to FedEx.

With the stronger Can. $, our buying power across border has lately increased, but take care you do the exchange rate properly (actually go online and there are many site that will do this for you...I jsut type in Can. dollar exchange and several pop up) so there are no unpleasant $$ surpirses for you.

BTW, I believe USA Certed Diamonds is in ON, so you could always have them birng in a stone for you and you could see it in person before buying. Search their name here on PS and find out what folks had to say about their shoppng experiences with them.

Good luck.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results