shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing Burmese Rubies - Im confused.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it legal or not?
I was looking at some at http://www.israel-diamonds.com/ but then read about the
import ban so I looked elsewhere.
I had a question about a Sapphire they have so used the chat function of their website.
While talking to the sales person I mentioned the import ban and he said they ship the burmese rubies to the US all the time legally and had never heard of a ban.
In other cases I’m aware of just shipping them from another country does not make it legal to import them.
What’s the scoop here? Am I missing something?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't know, I was talking to a guy yesterday that just came back from Thailand with stones from Burma last week.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmm strange......

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There a bunch of issues here. First 'burmese ruby' may mean 'good quality ruby' not 'ruby from Burma'. Second: yes, Burmese goods imported from Israel are not illegal. Third, rubies are not perishable goods: so, all those could ve been shippments from older stock (very common). Fourth: Burmese goods do pass through alternative Asian gem hubs (such as Thailand) as they have for ages. Fifth: if you want to enforce the ban, don't buy ANY 'Burmese' ruby, since there isprobably no way for the legal authorities to insure origin for you. And one more: avoiding goods labeled as 'Burmese' may not be correct enough since, for quite some time, most outstanding goods for all over the world are called 'Burmese' to hint at quality rather than origin (as mentioned at #1). Hopefully, nicer, larger rubies get a cetificate oforigin based on gemological characteristics rather than shipping papers, but, this is not an exact science. So? If you really stand by that embargo, keep away from all things red and blue, beacause one can never tell. If you check at Palagema or Ruby-Sapphire you can find a list with all types of gems Burma produces. Diamonds are on the list too....
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks valeria
actualy I think that the embargo is a bad idea and will just punish the working class the ruling class will not suffer much over it.
I was just wondering what is going on I would not want to order something just to have it seized at customs....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha,ha ha!

I might have never been in Burma, but about embargos and stupid politics I might now a thing or two, just look at my address!
2.gif
You shoud have no problem receiving a small package from Israel (or such) containing 'jewelry', or 'ruby' or whatever it is customary to say for a retail sale of jewelry items...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results