shape
carat
color
clarity

Important Question about the Cartier Tank! Watch Aficiandos Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
EDIT: Sorry I spelled "aficionados" wrong!

We recently bought a ladies SS Cartier Tank for myself. It was "certified pre-owned" from a well-known store who is an authorized dealer. It came with all the paperwork. However, I noticed a few things, and so I have some questions.

1) Is the face Ivory?! Mine is more off-white than white. Does the face simply yellow over time? Or is it supposed to be ivory?

2) If it is yellowing over time, do you know if you can pay Cartier to replace the face?! Is this a crazy question!? This is my first "nice" watch...

3) Cartier will charge $200 for a polishing and new battery. Is this standard for watches bought at their store?

Thanks for any kind help!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2009 10:35:05 PM
Author:UCLABelle
EDIT: Sorry I spelled ''aficionados'' wrong!

We recently bought a ladies SS Cartier Tank for myself. It was ''certified pre-owned'' from a well-known store who is an authorized dealer. It came with all the paperwork. However, I noticed a few things, and so I have some questions.

1) Is the face Ivory?! Mine is more off-white than white. Does the face simply yellow over time? Or is it supposed to be ivory?

2) If it is yellowing over time, do you know if you can pay Cartier to replace the face?! Is this a crazy question!? This is my first ''nice'' watch...

3) Cartier will charge $200 for a polishing and new battery. Is this standard for watches bought at their store?

The dial is not ivory.The tank watch has had many colors used on the dials including many shades of white,creme,off white and light browns or golds.
I would contact them to see what a new replacement dial would cost,but would recommend keeping current dial as long as you like the color.200 SOUNDS LIKE ALOT for a standard polish and battery change.If the scratches are not noticable then just get a battery change,but ask what it will cost first...im sure that any Cartier repair work will be overpriced ...consider going to a reputable watch shop and asking for a quote to change battery and do a water tightness test.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 12:21:48 AM
Author: jewelerman

EDIT: Sorry I spelled 'aficionados' wrong!

We recently bought a ladies SS Cartier Tank for myself. It was 'certified pre-owned' from a well-known store who is an authorized dealer. It came with all the paperwork. However, I noticed a few things, and so I have some questions.

2) If it is yellowing over time, do you know if you can pay Cartier to replace the face?! Is this a crazy question!? This is my first 'nice' watch...

The dial is not ivory.The tank watch has had many colors used on the dials including many shades of white,creme,off white and light browns or golds.

I would contact them to see what a new replacement dial would cost,but would recommend keeping current dial as long as you like the color.200 SOUNDS LIKE ALOT for a standard polish and battery change.If the scratches are not noticable then just get a battery change,but ask what it will cost first...im sure that any Cartier repair work will be overpriced ...consider going to a reputable watch shop and asking for a quote to change battery and do a water tightness test.

Thank you so much for the quick feedback! I had no idea they have had many colors used on the dial. I think mine is an off-white or creme. I love it. But wasn't sure if it was wrong... I thought $200 was a lot too. If should be fine now, and the watch is pretty new so no battery is needed yet!

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
36.gif

teetee

Shiny_Rock
I have the Tank Francois and the face is ivory/off-white/creme...depending on the lighting. It''s differently not white. Fun fact - I''m not sure if all models have this but if you look at the numerals under a loupe, you will find the words "Cartier". On my watch its part of the V on #7.

You may want to research some watch shops as jewelerman suggested. My friend had her watch polished by Cartier (South Coast Plaza store) and she was very unhappy with the results. They took a really long time to do it (4 months and didn''t even call her when it was ready). Hers was a gold watch and they charged her around $300+ and the case looked like it wasn''t even polished when she got it back. You are better off going to a professional watch place that can change the battery and refinish the case and do it quickly.

Congrats on your new watch!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
$200 doesn''t sound like a lot to me ... Tiffany is about the same -- but maybe they replaced my crystal as well .. can''t remember. Maybe the $200 includes that too? You''re talking about something that only needs to be done every 8-10 yrs or so ... w/normal wear.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2009 12:21:48 AM
Author: jewelerman

EDIT: Sorry I spelled 'aficionados' wrong!

We recently bought a ladies SS Cartier Tank for myself. It was 'certified pre-owned' from a well-known store who is an authorized dealer. It came with all the paperwork. However, I noticed a few things, and so I have some questions.

2) If it is yellowing over time, do you know if you can pay Cartier to replace the face?! Is this a crazy question!? This is my first 'nice' watch...

Ditto, the SS Tank is available with different colour dials, some are more of an off white than bright white apparently. You could probably have this replaced but I would imagine it wouldn't be cheap, however as you bought from an AD you should be fine and have a genuine Tank Francaise.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 2:12:36 AM
Author: teetee
I have the Tank Francois and the face is ivory/off-white/creme...depending on the lighting. It''s differently not white. Fun fact - I''m not sure if all models have this but if you look at the numerals under a loupe, you will find the words ''Cartier''. On my watch its part of the V on #7.

You may want to research some watch shops as jewelerman suggested. My friend had her watch polished by Cartier (South Coast Plaza store) and she was very unhappy with the results. They took a really long time to do it (4 months and didn''t even call her when it was ready). Hers was a gold watch and they charged her around $300+ and the case looked like it wasn''t even polished when she got it back. You are better off going to a professional watch place that can change the battery and refinish the case and do it quickly.

Congrats on your new watch!

Thanks for the info! I would have had it done at South Coast---they told me 3 weeks (but other items have taken longer there, despite what they said), and it was $200+. I will not go there--thanks for the info that it didn''t turn out great!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 9:14:38 AM
Author: decodelighted
$200 doesn''t sound like a lot to me ... Tiffany is about the same -- but maybe they replaced my crystal as well .. can''t remember. Maybe the $200 includes that too? You''re talking about something that only needs to be done every 8-10 yrs or so ... w/normal wear.

Deco-they charged you!? My husband just had his done and it was free...along with the battery. I wonder if that was because of the crystal replacement?

I know that polishing doesn''t need to be done all the time...had no idea it was 8-10 years. Clearly mine doesn''t need it that bad ;-)

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Now you must show pictures of this cartier tank! Totally my dream watch at the moment. Such a classic!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Question: What does Cartier say when you ask them why it takes so long and is so expensive to do minor work?....3 weeks is a very long time to get a polish and battery change back(this type of work takes a minimal amount of time for an experianced bench person, unless they have problems with the sapphire crystal.)Either they are sending all work to a central location and are under staffed or the are sending it to an independant watch person in the area who has multiple accounts besides Cartier and when the watch gets back then Cartier is adding a huge mark up on the repairmens retail cost...a regular watch shop would charge any where from $50-75.00 for this type of work....to put in a quart battery,do a water test, polish the case and re-attatch the leather strap is easy work for an experianced watch person!

starburst

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Belle,

The $200 is actually typical of what Cartier charges. I heard they replace the entire movement when you send it in, which I''m sure is one of the reasons why it''s so expensive. If you send your watch to a non-authorized dealer to have the battery replaced, it will void the warranty. But it may not matter since it is a certified pre-owned Cartier. I had my battery changed recently at an authorized dealer & it took about 2 months. It was free this time b/c it was under the 2 yr warranty still.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
UCLA Belle

Cartier stores do send the watches to a central location for battery changes and cleaning, and it does take awhile, and $200 sounds about right because it was $175 when I had it done several years ago. I love my 2 Cartier tanks, but that is one of the downsides, especially how long it takes to be done.

As I understand it, Cartier watches require a special tool to take the back off to change the battery and service the watch. There was a class action lawsuit that was settled and now non-Cartier dealers can buy the tool. Those of us who had Cartier watches serviced during a certain time period got a $100 certificate towards merchandise but not service.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2009 12:26:48 AM
Author: rainwood
UCLA Belle

Cartier stores do send the watches to a central location for battery changes and cleaning, and it does take awhile, and $200 sounds about right because it was $175 when I had it done several years ago. I love my 2 Cartier tanks, but that is one of the downsides, especially how long it takes to be done.

As I understand it, Cartier watches require a special tool to take the back off to change the battery and service the watch. There was a class action lawsuit that was settled and now non-Cartier dealers can buy the tool. Those of us who had Cartier watches serviced during a certain time period got a $100 certificate towards merchandise but not service.

Oh this was so helpful! Thank you!!!! The main downside was the time...wasn''t willing to part with it yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results