shape
carat
color
clarity

Important Information about GIA Certified Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone.
Here''s the scoop.
The term certified implies that someone or something is guaranteeing someone or something.
For example- the gas pumps are certified to assure you''re really getting a gallon.
Doctors are board certifed.
Gemologists are NOT.
Nor are diamonds.
GIA examines diamonds, and the Gem Trade Laboratory issues reports.

GIA prefers that thier product is refered to as a "GIA Report"- which is exactly what it is.
It really comes down to interpreting the numbers on the GIA report, and correlating it witrh the physical evidence- the diamond.
That''s one of the things a gemologist does- makes sure the diamond matches the GIA report.

THERE ARE NEVER MONETARY VALUES ON AUTHENTIC GIA REPORTS

If anyone , anywhere, beside GIA in NYC or GIA in Carlsbaad issues any type of paper , report, certificate, certified appraisal, whatever- It is NOT a GIA report.
Anyone rpresenting to do so is attempting to pull a fast one-

We''ve heard a lot of tales of people buying "certified 2.00 D''VS2 Diamonds for $12,000" ( it really costs more than $25K)
Certifed???
Yep- the guy at the store was GIA approved and he certified my diamond.
Right.

So there''s no confusion- always ask for a GIA report- and make sure that''s what you get.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
david,
does any of this change the fact that you are certifiable?

9.gif
just kidding
9.gif

thanks for posting that pertinent and important information.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2005 11:50:50 PM
Author: belle
david,

9.gif
just kidding
9.gif

Rofl!
belle you rock

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2005 11:50:50 PM
Author: belle
david,

9.gif
just kidding
9.gif

Certifiably round brilliant you say?
2.gif

Heather

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Very good information David. Thank you.

This kind of scam has been put forward both in live venues and in some places on the 'net.
Any major lab report will treat itself exactly as that... A report.

If it has a monetary value on it, run, don't walk away.

GIA has both a full report and a smaller diamond dossier - without inclusions plot - often used with smaller diamonds as it costs less.

AGS reports are the Diamond Quality Document, which includes a grade for cut - usually associated with 'ideal' diamonds - and the Diamond Quality Report which does not have a cut grade.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock

David,

This is actually a very wide spread practice even in the legitimate trade

Many of us are incorrectly naming reports; certificates it’s sort of become a habit
Our own staff often uses the term “we only sell certified diamonds”
Dealers offer us goods as GIA, AGS or HRD certified.

I agree David it’s an incorrect term and we should all try and avoid it

Johan

mdx

Brilliant_Rock

OK here is another bit of food for thought on this subject,

The labs certify nothing they create a report based on their findings and offer an opinion based on a set of grading rules.

The seller however in terms of common law is certifying the diamond if his sales document says something like:

1crt diamond E color vs1 clarity GIA report no. 13526262 set in a 6.5gr Platinum setting.

Should the sales document not say?

1diamond graded by GIA report no. 13526262 as 1crt E color vs1 clarity and set in a 6.5gr Platinum setting.

In the first example the seller is saying, “I am selling (and by implication warranting) to you the customer, a diamond with the following specifications----- and with a GIA report”

In the second example the seller is saying, “I am selling you a diamond that the GIA report claims to be with the following specifications-------” In this case the seller warrants nothing and in fact nor does the GIA.

Consumer thoughts could be interesting

Johan

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Who cares?
A cert is a report is a paper.
Storm in tea cup

David they have had that story on their website for years
big deal

They still cant tell us if a diamond is good?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Methinks the original post is an appropriate consumer advisory. Reiteration now and again is a lighthouse warning.

Trade peeps and long-of-tooth prosumers know - but babes in the woods can get eaten by big bad wolves bearing 'GIA certified' pricing...

"My, grandma. What big VALUE you have."

And why is Strm in a tea cup?

There's another good fairy tale in there somewhere.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That was a good one belle, you always crack me up. Yes why is storm in a tea cup??
33.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Garry, love the response! Concise and to the point
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm....does anybody know the odds for a boxing match between Garry and David?.
11.gif
here's the way i see it.

Garry is more of the newer generation type vendor,whom believes in today's high tech.

David is more of the older generation type vendor,whom only believes his pair of eyes and no high tech.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2005 2:51:07 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
11.gif
here''s the way i see it.

Garry is more of the newer generation type vendor,whom believes in today''s high tech.

David is more of the older generation type vendor,whom only believes his pair of eyes and no high tech.
Dancing- I would run away from a boxing match! My hands man!!!!! Can''t risk it.
I''ll gladly challenge Garry to a guitar duel though..........

If you saw my office, you''d see my love of things high tech.
In the case of diamonds, the high tech I am intrested in happens at the cutter.
Many of the cutters we deal with use amazing technology in planning and cutting the diamonds.
Once they are done, the magic of the stone must be seen by human eyes- a GIA report identifies the diamond yet it can not tell us if a diamond is desirable, and never will.
It can tell us a lot about the diamond, but the info will NOT include the most important answer- do we want to buy it?

Garry, how is it possible for anyone to say a diamond is "Good"? It''s not possible to predict what people will like.
Nor is it possible for GIA to enforce the copyright protection in other countres- this allows some unscrupulous individuals to make bogus claims - claims which GIA prosecutes in the US. I''d think that in Austrlia this is also an issue.

It is possible to identify diamonds. This is important to many people - it assists in the decision making process.
GIA''s identification, and reporting of diamonds is unsurpassed in the world today. Unless you know of a lab which is more accepted?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2005 3:22:56 AM
Author: diamondsbylauren

11.gif
here's the way i see it.

Garry is more of the newer generation type vendor,whom believes in today's high tech.

Dancing- I would run away from a boxing match! My hands man!!!!! Can't risk it.
I'll gladly challenge Garry to a guitar duel though..........
David
you got no chance. if Garry grows some hair on his face,i think he's ......
6.gif

http://www.ericclapton.com/

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
It ain''t in the beard my man.
It''s in the heart the head and the hands.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2005 2:13:05 PM
Author: kaleigh
That was a good one belle, you always crack me up. Yes why is storm in a tea cup??
33.gif
Reference to "tempest in a tea cup" e.g., "much ado about nothing."

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a valid point even on mall signs they will say thing like 1,000,000 certified diamond sale. And people are drawn in because of that. We trust things like that because it is a term we hear in other places (ie those Honda ads). People feel like they are getting a guarantee about how much the stone they are buying is worth. I have read a lot of things on e-bay relating to those little IGI cards and people wanting just half of what was on there. And seen them sell.
14.gif
Besides we never know when there are newbies on who want to learn, and that is something they need to know. GIA or AGS can give you information but they are not gaurenteeing that the stone is worth any certain amount of money. Sellers often represent it otherwise.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
11.gif
here's the way i see it.

There is something to learn from both sides.
In a lot of cases neither side is totaly right nor totaly wrong.

... that would be a very big tea cup. LOL

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jenn, that makes perfect sense!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree solidly with David. Language matters and this is a problem in the industry that leads to a great deal of confusion on the part of both consumers and dealers. A huge amount of the nonsense that that people are told is based on this assumption and the parallel assumption that all labs offer the same service. It's a battle that GIA will never win and many consider it tilting at windmills but it’s a benefit to everyone that they continue to try. If not them, who?

Right or wrong, an enormous number of people care.

I would like to add that genuine GIA reports are pretty distinctive documents. They’ve changed their format a few times over the last few decades but for at least the last 25 years they have always been a single page plastic laminated report that is clearly authored by ‘GIA – Gem Trade Laboratory’ and they have never included a price. Older reports list an address in Santa Monica CA and they used to include an LA office. The new ones list only an address in NY and one in Carlsbad CA. Reports written by GIA graduates are no more GIA reports than papers written by Harvard graduates are publications of Harvard Medical School.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Neil- I will post some photos of GIA documentation.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2005 3:41:55 PM
Author: IrishEyes
Garry, love the response! Concise and to the point
2.gif
I actually found it to be quite unnecessarily rude.
33.gif

Heather

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2005 3:42:23 AM

Date: 7/17/2005 3:22:56 AM
Author: diamondsbylauren

11.gif
here''s the way i see it.

Garry is more of the newer generation type vendor,whom believes in today''s high tech.

Dancing- I would run away from a boxing match! My hands man!!!!! Can''t risk it.
I''ll gladly challenge Garry to a guitar duel though..........
David
you got no chance. if Garry grows some hair on his face,i think he''s ......
6.gif

http://www.ericclapton.com/
I LOVE Eric Clapton!

Here''s a photo of me- taken in 1980 at the Ritz in New York City.
Whataya think of the costume- Glam to the max
ritz.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Many of you might not know it, but David is a serious musician.

He recently played at a concert with one of the (former?) members of the Grateful Dead.

At the time I was pumping him for information on a 10 carat fancy yellow diamond I was appraising. I heard the band tuning up while he was answering my questions, with calm patience.

Heh heh heh... I love this business.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results