shape
carat
color
clarity

Imperial topaz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Can this 11+ ctw peachy-pink topaz be called Imperial Topaz (by any stretch of the imagination)?

Or is it too light?

Thanks
Ger

peach topaz orig.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Hi again, Stone is from Brazil

Ger

path914

Rough_Rock
True Imperial Topaz will have more of a saturated orange color with at least a little red as well. Although it seems that lately anything in the orange-brown spectrum is being labeled Imperial by many sellers.

Paul, GJG (GIA)
www.dercodiamonds.com

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
In agreeance...

I think that it can defnitely be "called" imperial Topaz.. but it is not an example of what is considered a good color, sought after color,etc. Yet, it is still... or could still be called an imperial topaz.. Of course, the most sought after being the pink.

Attached is a picture of an imperial topaz from Palagems.

imperial-topaz.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
This was actually called apricot pink natural untreated topaz. I just really liked the color, the size (humongous), and then thought...hmmmm, I wonder if this could be Imperial. The supposed Imperial Topaz I had gotten (and returned) from JTV was dark yellow with no pink or orange, and looked like a Citrine! It was indeed a Topaz (by testing), but I think was just a plain ole yellow Topaz.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Thanks!
Ger

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Many sellers ( particularly on Ebay ) take "trade names" of that have rather specific meaning to a person who understands these trade names and sometimes very unfairly use them to hype up the "quality" of what they are selling.

Due to the fact that your photo may not be representative of what the actual color is, I hesitate to say that "you can''t call it Imperial" as color appears differently on everyone''s monitor. However, if the actual color of the stone, is what i see on the screen, I would say calling it "Imperial" is quite a leap. There is no LAW, that controls this, and as such dealer who want to sugar coat what they are selling come up with very creative "names" to impress buyers. As an example, consider a colorless topaz, and I want to write a creative description..... I might say its Silver Imperial Topaz.

I believe that most experienced and ethical dealers would represent a topaz that was more of a sherry color, and a lot more saturate, than what most are selling as Imperial. The "correct" description for most topaz of the "caramel" type color is more properly referred to a precious topaz. Imperial is a term used to describe a rather "unique" color of topaz.

What is worse than the use of IMPERIAL is the use or PARAIBA on ebay. To an expert, Paraiba is a neon colored stone of blue to green, and "reserved" for tourmaline. Seems a lot of different stones on ebay are now being called Paraiba... from flourites, to diamonds. Same with the term Padparascha, which was to mean a very particular color of saphirre. Now there Padparascha ''anything'' being hawked on ebay.

Rockdoc

Barbara

Rough_Rock
My two cents,

This crystal shows the color that I, personally, would consider having enough of a reddish orange color to be called Imperial.

Imp.tpz.xtl.jpg

Barbara

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw one of these the other day - but much much smaller about 1 carat maybe 1.5 - and I *loved* it!!! Does anyone know if diamonds come in this peachy sort of color??

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CB:
think there are some specimens on Cherrypicked. $$$

nickynewark

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 8:59:34 PM
Author:ger100
Hi,

Can this 11+ ctw peachy-pink topaz be called Imperial Topaz (by any stretch of the imagination)?

Or is it too light?

Thanks
Ger
No-

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
From what I see on my moniter, the stone ger 100 pictured above fits the critera to be included in the imperial topaz catogory. I see a yellowish brown with a secondary color of reddish orange. The reddish orange is seen most in the mirrow reflection but can also be seen in the stone to. The tone and saturation are rather light to be much of a match for what is considered near the top of the ladder as these things go. But I think it fits the definition of imperial as described by the guide. For what ever that is worth. And like all things related it is just an opinion.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results