shape
carat
color
clarity

Imaginary sapphire e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I had this picture posted on another thread (compliments to girlie-girls'' photoshop talent) as an idea I had for an engagement ring - but I thought I''d get more responses in this forum. I found a setting I love, but the diamond size that looks good in it is out of the budget right now. So instead, since I like gemstones anyway, I thought about one in this setting as a hopefully soon e-ring. (If you want to see pics of the setting with a diamond: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-lazare-setting-and-photoshop-people.93453/) I love the setting, and I love the idea of a colored stone. But I can''t decide if I love this - don''t know why though, because I have seen so many other of you guys'' BEAUTIFUL and such unique settings that compliment gemstones so well, and this seems to fit right in. I think I''ve just seen it with a diamond so much that that''s all I''m used to.

So what does everybody think about this with the Richard Homer sapphire? (Also any ideas of other colors that would look great in this setting - blue is definitely not the must-have.)

LTSLazare1 2.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I really like the setting- it''s a little different, but not TOO crazy out there.

And the sapphire?
18.gif
The color is stunning! Honestly, I think you can put pretty much any color stone you like in that setting. I definitely don''t think it demands blue or pink or yellow or anything. It''s really up to you and your preferences. Spend a lot of time poking around here, and you''ll figure out pretty quickly which your favorites are! (or you''ll be like me and end up loving EVERYTHING
3.gif
)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Just my opinion here, but I think the concave cut is too busy looking for that setting. Now, it may be that I''m just not a big fan of the concave cut, I''m much more a lover of the native cut, but that''s what you asked.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like concaves either. Have you thought about a white sapphire? If you''re not attached to a color (like I am to blue...) then that could be an option.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
If anyone has photoshop, try putting this sapphire into the setting and see if it looks any better/different.

DSCN2644.JPG

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so far for the comments! Yes I agree, the concave cut would look better on its own - the starburst is such a unique look, I think it should hold its own and looks too busy with RB diamonds around it.

Here is another sapphire, if anyone reads this with some photoshop skills and would like to show me what it would look like in the setting I''ll post here. This is Lost Sapphire''s blue sapphire - looks so beautiful, just like a blue diamond!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Lost Sapphire''s lovely - I think something cut like this would look awesome in that setting

LS123456789.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think that type of sapphire would be beautiful! I''m sorry that I''m so inept at photoshopping. Let me see if I can find some similar rings to give you just an idea. (I know this is the setting you want. I''m not trying to talk you into another one, just trying to give an idea how it might look.)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Both of these rings are from Knox Jewelers. They should give you an idea how a stone would look in your setting. Hope this helps!

sapphireringsfromKnox.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Other stones that would fit the budget - fancy sapphire (yellow, orange, purple/violet, green), faceted chrysoberyl, tourmaline (yellow, rubelite, blue, chrome), spinel (red, purple/violet, blue). Take your pick
2.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable - thank you so much for those ideas!!
1.gif
I''ve always thought Knox has lots of beautiful pieces. Those you posted definitely help me get an idea of what this setting may look like. Yours is beautiful, I LOVE the color - mind if I ask where you got it?

So you all think blue/color would definitely look nice in that setting though - not too busy?

Frekechild - I have thought about a white sapphire, but only in the context that I found one with a concave cut. But I never thought about having one cut like a diamond! Would it look the same??

Ma re - Thanks for all the ideas - I have heard before that spinel is just about as safe as sapphire is for an engagement ring as far as durability - true?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 8:59:12 AM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Upgradable - thank you so much for those ideas!!
1.gif
I''ve always thought Knox has lots of beautiful pieces. Those you posted definitely help me get an idea of what this setting may look like. Yours is beautiful, I LOVE the color - mind if I ask where you got it?

So you all think blue/color would definitely look nice in that setting though - not too busy?

Frekechild - I have thought about a white sapphire, but only in the context that I found one with a concave cut. But I never thought about having one cut like a diamond! Would it look the same??

Ma re - Thanks for all the ideas - I have heard before that spinel is just about as safe as sapphire is for an engagement ring as far as durability - true?
It''s not as scratch-resistant, but it''s just as breakage-resistant as sapphire, so in the long (loooooong) run sapphire will hold on better i.e. it''s better suited for heirloom. Now, if we''re talking color, you need to check out the shades of blue spinels so that you don''t end up surprised, cause they''re quite diferent from those typically found in sapphires. All of the stones I mentioned before are suitable for an e-ring (with a possible exception of rubelite - they''re often more included, and inclusions can mean breaking/chipping points).

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think putting a colored stone in there is a FABULOUS idea! I think just about anything would look great - blue, purple, green - whatever your heart desires!
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
White sapphires are a different breed from diamonds. I haven''t seen one in real life, but from what I''ve seen online they can look very similar, but they look white white and don''t display the dispersion that diamonds do. There was a really stunning white sapphire that a guy had made for his FF not too long ago, and it was amazing...

Link

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:14:22 PM
Author: FrekeChild
White sapphires are a different breed from diamonds. I haven''t seen one in real life, but from what I''ve seen online they can look very similar, but they look white white and don''t display the dispersion that diamonds do. There was a really stunning white sapphire that a guy had made for his FF not too long ago, and it was amazing...

Link
I saw some this weekend, right next to a diamond and that''s how I would describe it. They''re more glassy, less sparkly, more white....if that makes any sense....you can definitely tell them apart from diamonds if they are next to each other. They do have their own amazing quality though.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a beautiful setting, and I think it will look better with a coloured stone than diamonds. Not too busy at all.

How about a nice padparadscha sapphire?

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
whoops, this was supposed to be attached:

PA2058_1.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:20:30 PM
Author: tessari

Date: 9/9/2008 12:14:22 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Link
I saw some this weekend, right next to a diamond and that''s how I would describe it. They''re more glassy, less sparkly, more white....if that makes any sense....you can definitely tell them apart from diamonds if they are next to each other. They do have their own amazing quality though.
IMHO, white sapphires are ok for small melee, but I can''t really see using them as a large centre stone, *especially* when there is diamond melee adjacent to it.

My $$ would be on a coloured stone as opposed to a white sapphire...

LS

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
luvthemstrawberries, can i just tell you that your name/avatar combo is just the best?
I smile every time I see your posts. Thanks and good luck with ring shopping!
35.gif

historychick

Shiny_Rock
Ummm, I think that the Homer cut sapphire that you posted would make a twist tie look good but I am partial to his cuts, I deffinitely understand why others have said that it might be too busy for your chosen setting. I love the idea of a white sapphire in the setting btw. It''s more affordable and unique in a way that still nods to traditon. It might be a good compromize for you. Later if you want you can replace the gemstone in your ering with an diamond and have the gem for an awsome right hand ring. Just be carefull, if you have your heart set on a diamond in that setting then no substitue no matter how beautiful will make you happy. In the end the only person''s taste you have to worry about accomidating is your own, b/c you will be the one wearing the ring everyday.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m late to the party, buttttt....
hope this helps. :)

WithBlue.jpg

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I like both of these soooo much more than the concave cuts. :)

WithRed.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
pjean - I LOVE the color of that padparadscha - I have been eyeing that shade as one I really have liked a lot in my searching

swimmer - hehe thanks for the fun compliment - that has been my name since I first ever got on a computer, I''m not very creative but I LOVE strawberries, so there it was - and the spoiled little dog in the picture is our chihuahua Pixie, hehe she''s so funny. Glad we could make you smile.
9.gif
It''s always good to make somebody happy in this world. Hehe it made my day when I read your post!

anangel - thank you so much for the photoshop pics!! That REALLY gives me an idea of what 2 of my favorite color stones would look like in the setting - you are awesome. And I do agree, I think I like these better because they resemble a diamond cut.

I really like the concave cut still, so I''m thinking I''d more prefer one of those alone or in a simple setting to show them off more. Maybe a fun RHR?

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2008 3:50:45 PM
pjean - I LOVE the color of that padparadscha - I have been eyeing that shade as one I really have liked a lot in my searching

Yay! I''m glad you like it. I think it''s gorgeous, but it''s very much the colour of my own ering stone, so I''m probably biased. I will warn you though, if you get it for an ering, you will have 2 problems:

1. Many people have seen my ring and responded with some variation of "oh! It''s... pink!"
2. I have nearly fallen downstairs twice, no exaggeration, watching the colours in the ring change as the light changes.
6.gif

Just thought you should be warned.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Haha pjean, do you constantly have to tell them what color it actually is? Do you actually say it''s padparadscha, or just that it''s not pink??

Hehe you made me laugh about falling down the stairs
3.gif
- I do it already just being clumsy, so I''d have to really watch out if I had that in a ring I guess!! Where did you get yours from? Mind if I ask the basic specs on it? It''s so preeeeetty.
18.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 7:31:40 PM
Haha pjean, do you constantly have to tell them what color it actually is? Do you actually say it''s padparadscha, or just that it''s not pink??

Hehe you made me laugh about falling down the stairs
3.gif
- I do it already just being clumsy, so I''d have to really watch out if I had that in a ring I guess!! Where did you get yours from? Mind if I ask the basic specs on it? It''s so preeeeetty.
18.gif

Sometimes I fight the padparadscha battle, but often I just say it''s sapphire when I''m asked what it is. I think people are (a) surprised that it''s not a diamond, and (b) surprised that I ended up with "pink", since I''m not very traditionally girly.

I got my stone from the Natural Sapphire Company (that''s where I pulled the above photo from too). Mine is an oval, 1.08 carats. It''s cut kind of shallow, which turned out well for us since (a) I felt we could afford it, and (b) my ring sits very low. We had the setting made for it at a local jeweler in Chicago. I do have a tiny surprise diamond on the palm, and I need to try to get better pictures of it. Maybe some day soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results