shape
carat
color
clarity

imaginary gems :-D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
If you could have any colored stone, any at all, but only ONE, which one, why, and what would you do with it?

Right now I am lusting over this puppy:

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Items/1702sm.jpg

I might have to just keep it in a little box and play with it---I honestly prefer loose gems to set ones sometimes. But the temptation for a simple gold cathedral setting would be immense!

(this thread started after realizing I have no money for gems for the next few years, and therefore must feed self with mind candy! )

26.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Cost not a factor ?

How about this little blue beauty

But seriously … about 3 weeks ago my wife and I went on a weekend getaway to a little town North of Chicago. We were checking out all the little stores - when I spied an interesting B&M Jewelry store. When it comes to colored stones I have not seen many impressive B&M stores (other than tiffany's) - but wow - this little custom store, owned by two gemologists, had a very nice selection of colored stones - including a stunning loose 3.2 ct pear shaped unheated blue sapphire. If I had a spare 8 grand - I would have bought it on the spot for a pendant for my wife, but alas it will have to wait a while.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
what would you do with that 38 ct monster, pendant for the wife? What sort of setting? Beautiful stone btw!

but of course, cost is no object. this is like that dinner in peter pan where they imagine the food, you can have whatever you want
31.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Who said the big one was for my wife? I was thinking of something for myself..
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dangerous thread! It reminds me of a biblical proverb, about someone who finds a great gem and sells everything they have to get it. You guys take it quite literally!
31.gif

Don't know, really. It would probably something to keep on the desk rather than wear - imagine a chunk of matrix with some colorful crystals peeking from it.
5.gif
Otherwise, I could never decide what type I like the most, let alone one item of some kind. Every rock is a good rock as far as I am concerned.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ohhhhh oooohhh.. I wanna play... Ummmm... gosh I want to ummm.... well.... ummm... let me see.. gosh....

the list is sooo long. I want a honkin 20ct Parabia.. windex blue for a pendant.... yummm yummmm.....

Ohhhhh and ummmm... goes A spinel and a garent oooohhhh oohhh a dematiod and a tzavorite and a REALLLY scrumptous perfect emerald

and and and ..............

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lockmyheart.jpg

15ct or so

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I know what my imaginary gem is: This guy's big brother.

I saved this picture from Cherrypicked just so I can admire it occasionally! It's only flaw? Too shade too small for my "dream gem". If it were 3-4 cts, it would be perfect (and its price would be perfectly insane!
9.gif
):

Don't you think this ruby would look nice with a pair of asscher sides???
18.gif

widget

woiyik.jpg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I saved that picture and its little ''comment'' box too...occasionally I ogle it and wonder at it prettiness.

To be fair I also love the pear shaped ruby up there too...

It was a close call between the emerald in my link above and that ruby.

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Hey! I wanna play too!!

I can''t think of a more beautiful stone than a huge black opal with fanciful colors playing catch inside of it
18.gif

I''d like to set it into a ring probably so I can look at it ALL the time and just get mesmerized by it!

Unfortunately, at the price of black opals nowaddays, I can either settle for a fraction of a carat or just DREAM about it!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
oooh..I had a black opal tiny ring once. stone fell out :(

open culet

Rough_Rock
A vivid orange diamond, no secondary colors, please.

Was lucky enought to see one a few years ago, about 2 carats. Prettiest colored stone I''ve ever seen. Cost more than my house.
Harry Winston had one called The Great Pumpkin or such, saw a picture in Town and Country few years back.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I think an alexandrite with an extremely strong cc would be my choice. The reason being constantly shifting color variations in different lighting. A very good cc garnet would also work.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen an alexandrite in person.

Although I do love that emerald I posted, I might have to revise my choice---
18-20 ct red diamond, no secondary colors (pigeon''s blood red), IF and cut in a pear shape for a pendant.

I don''t think this stone even *exists,* actually...

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Like widget, I would love to have a large, blood red ruby, about 5-6 cts. Now, if I could just FIND one, and become a millionaire at the same time, I''d be all set.

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Widget and LuvThatRing, I have become an absolutely ruby-maniac lately! The thing is - apart from the cost
23.gif
- rubies over 1-2 carats are rarely that clear. I suppose thre MAY be a few out there but I bet they are probably locked tight in some vault!!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm.
I trolled all over cherrypicked and just kept coming back to velvety blue sapphires!

1894sm.jpg

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1894

1349sm.jpg

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1349

ETA: Forgot to say what I'd do with it. Put it in a full or half bezel ring custom made by jewelryexperts. If it was my e-ring then sleek with channel set diamonds, but if it was a rh-ring then is should be heavily engraved perhaps with their secret garden style. Or if they could do something that reminded one of the ocean.
30.gif

leggs

Shiny_Rock
Real absolutly real Tanzanite with all the red flashes and dark royal blue money can buy..I waste hours of time serching for the real thing that I can afford
7.gif
but someday when I am rich and famous :)

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Mine, Mine Mine -Same cherry picked Emerald as first poster-

myemer.jpg

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Widget - I''ll arm wrestle you for that red beauty! I''ve been thinking about rubies lately and that one is georgous. Absolutely love the shape!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um stones, I still wouldn''t mind a beautiful 1.5-2 carat emerald in an 18k gold setting
I really like looking at rubies, but probably just to own one, not to wear.
I don''t normally like (or see myself wearing) large diamonds but I would love a large colored diamond of the champage/brown/orange shades.
tsavorite garnet of over a carat

But thinking of things to own and not wear I''ve been thinking how neat it would be to own a meteorite (metallic preferably) because my daughters into dinosaurs and some books mention the meteorite hypothesis, fossils of cool sea creatures,
a natural gold nugget, large crystals in matrix etc... She''s been learning about pirates so of course be neat to have some real pirates treasure like a gold coin (solid gold bars probably a little too much
1.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results