shape
carat
color
clarity

Image questions

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I love detail, and I'm wanting to increase my general knowledge level.

I've seen some experts draw lines and circles on images, and I wonder if this is something you all routinely do before recommending a stone. If so, other than lines crossing in the middle, what do you look for? (and next time I'm choosing different colors and making those lines thicker!)

In my image below, I feel like the yellow circle shows some wonk. Is that just a symmetry issue?
And with all this talk of painting and digging, is that what's going on in this image - red circles?
And the arrows aren't dark like in an ACA. What does that mean?

And what's the practical result of all of this - other than decreased light performance? Are the edge circles going to result in less fire or less whiteness? Or will the yellow circle make things appear a certain way>

Overall, I'm really liking this stone as a stud, and am just playing "get to you know before I bring you home" as we search for its mate.
Thanks again to all!

Symmetry question.png

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Great post. I’m interested in getting a better understanding of how to evaluate images as well. There might also be some videos on YouTube.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to learn more as well. In the image you posted, it looks like the diamond isn't sitting completely straight. Perhaps it's leaning slightly to the right? I could be totally off on my interpretation, but tilting it to the left a bit might solve the appearance of the off center issue, and affect the brightness level on the ends.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I straightened the diamond a bit more in the video, but it was taken at a slight tilt to begin with. I don't draw lines when sifting through stones--that would take far too much time! I look for signs of an unevenly cut pavilion. A lot of stones, like this one, are photographed at a slight tilt, so it's possible that when perfectly aligned, the circled areas wouldn't be there.

diamond.jpg

The darker areas at the edges are usually from the environment, like in this WF ACA.

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104120158048-diamond-224129.webp

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Appreciate you, @Kim N!
Those videos are so hard to stop at the right place! Makes my eyes go: o_O

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I straightened the diamond a bit more in the video, but it was taken at a slight tilt to begin with. I don't draw lines when sifting through stones--that would take far too much time! I look for signs of an unevenly cut pavilion. A lot of stones, like this one, are photographed at a slight tilt, so it's possible that when perfectly aligned, the circled areas wouldn't be there.

diamond.jpg

The darker areas at the edges are usually from the environment, like in this WF ACA.

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104120158048-diamond-224129.webp

Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
just a quick note: if the arrow shafts are different lengths the longer arrow shaft points to the direction it is tilted.
The exception is if the crown is tilted in relation to the pavilion when it was cut which is not common these days to be bad to that degree.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results