shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m thinking of a reset - what should I do with this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, its looking like a slow night, so I thought I'd post a sapphire necklace - pendant (sorry only one photo so far) getting too late and so sorry about the big ol' finger print right on it
14.gif
. Anyhow this was made by my cousin jeweler in cambodia it is a sapphire and diamond, but the chain is heavy and I'm sad that I don't wear this that often - like notta, as it just is too "much" for me, and a bit busy. what do you guys think I should do? leave it alone or reset it into something a bit more contemporary - simple? since I'm more of a "less" is more kinda gal? any thoughts any comments. I;ll try some neckshot. Not sure when I will reset, since I'm looking for ideas right now.

pinktourmasschermoz 012.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, i got some terrible night shots
14.gif
but it''ll give you an idea

this is how long the necklace is - way too long for my short neck

sapphirependantdt1 001.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a little closer up with the chain

sapphirependantdt1 002.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the heavy chain

sapphirependantdt1 0041.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
showing my 15inch very dainty chain that I like the length of but the pendant is quite heavy for it. as you can see the sapphire is also pretty dark not the greatest but it was a gift.

sapphirependantdt1 003.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm.... I kindda like it on the dainty chain.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the setting as it is, with one exception. I would change the "halo" part to be more like a "typical PS halo" - get rid of those spoke-like bits of gold, add more diamonds if necessary, and probably bezel it (bezel would be more contemporary than prongs). I really like the part where it comes down off the chain though.

ETA: Oh, and I'd turn the pear upside-down, so the point is at the top.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 1:51:07 AM
Author: jstarfireb
I actually like the setting as it is, with one exception. I would change the ''halo'' part to be more like a ''typical PS halo'' - get rid of those spoke-like bits of gold, add more diamonds if necessary, and probably bezel it (bezel would be more contemporary than prongs). I really like the part where it comes down off the chain though.

ETA: Oh, and I''d turn the pear upside-down, so the point is at the top.

I second this! I would not put it back on the heavy chain, but maybe look around for a chain in the length that you like that is a little thicker than the dainty one you have.

I think you could really turn it into an awesome pendant for yourself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it the way it is. The only thing I would change is to turn the pear around so it's a teardrop when you wear it. I think the halo is unique because the spokes make the diamonds and sapphire look much bigger. The chain in itself is very unique too; very pretty. It's something I'd love to wear. Then again, that must be the high karat gold lover in me showing through.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I like it; all of it, just not together.

Maybe you could set a cabochon in a bezel and reuse the chain that way when you wear a turtleneck or inside the V of a white blouse. And I would do the setting in the same color gold as the chain.

I assume you don''t want to make the whole pendant over. I can''t tell what is causing the chain to be gold and the pendant to be white? So, perhaps use a white chain. I have had a jeweler remake prongs. Are those prongs or spokes? I would speak to a jeweler about cutting them down and also flip the bael to the other end.

If I were to make it over entirely, I would consider flipping the sapphire into a teardrop position and perhaps just putting one diamond at the top. You dont know the size of them, I assume. Or, you could sketch out taking four of the diamonds and making a diamond shape at the top, or an X or a flower.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey guys- thanks for all the suggestion, I like the idea of bezeling the outside diamonds, I too do not like the gold spike
33.gif
not quite sure what was going on there, and definitely agree to turn the pear pointing upwards. I forgot to mention, that I think the pendant part might be platinum? not sure, its quite heavy though as I was comparing weight with my other gold gemstone jewelry. I think I might just re make the whole thing. I'm not sure what the size of the sapphire is, I can sure try to use the good ol' ruler method... lol
Thanks guys for the compliment the chain is quite nice and heavy, but its either not long enough for an over the head to go... the darn what do you call those clasp? I'll call it a "M" clasp its a bugger to take them on and off with a few chipped nails along the way. I think i'll draw out a sketch using all of your ideas... Thanks again! Its always nice to hear what others can see that I dont
9.gif

ETA: you know whats funny is looking at the first picture, it looks like I got like three different kind of karat weight gold going on
40.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T,
The easiest way to open the clasp is to twist it instead of trying to pull it open/apart.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 9:08:51 AM
Author: Chrono
D&T,
The easiest way to open the clasp is to twist it instead of trying to pull it open/apart.
yep, do that too, but it so annoying sometimes that I don''t get the "gaps" closed in very tightly then the "m" gets all mishaped too, with this bail, no problem, but with my bracelet -its an "S" shaped clasp and I''m always so nervous that my bracelet will somehow unloop itself and come undone
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it''s much easier with necklaces than bracelets. Bracelets are where I need hubby''s help or I just wear my bracelet all the time without taking it off.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 9:21:48 AM
Author: Chrono
Yeah, it''s much easier with necklaces than bracelets. Bracelets are where I need hubby''s help or I just wear my bracelet all the time without taking it off.
I use my teeth
9.gif
, me too, once I put it on, its not coming off unless I go swimming, so during the summer months, sadly I don''t wear it
7.gif
I''ll have to post up my ruby bracelet, don''t think I have, is there a thread for colored jewelry?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds lovely! You should start a new thread with pictures and one in the Show Me in the CS forum.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m of no help in deciding what to do with it. I just wanted to say that I think it''s very pretty.
9.gif
Is that high karat gold in the chain? The fasteners look typical of the Asian made high carat gold chains. I have a 24 karat bracelet with the same type of fastener.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
You did not mention in the beginning that you think it is plat! Can you find out? My opinion would change, esp since TL points out that the gold may be high carat. Sometimes you just enjoy high quality pieces as they are. I am wearing a neckalce today that looks very eighties, but it is still what I want to wear today. You may feel entirely differently about that piece in a couple of years. I don''t think I would wear it with a stripe sweater, as in the photo, but I assume that just happened to be whatg you were wearing. You can easily shorten the chain in back if your hair is long with somtething. I would probably go for one of those little rubber bands that my daughter wears on her braces.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 9:48:18 AM
Author: Pink Tower
You did not mention in the beginning that you think it is plat! Can you find out? My opinion would change, esp since TL points out that the gold may be high carat. Sometimes you just enjoy high quality pieces as they are. I am wearing a neckalce today that looks very eighties, but it is still what I want to wear today. You may feel entirely differently about that piece in a couple of years. I don''t think I would wear it with a stripe sweater, as in the photo, but I assume that just happened to be whatg you were wearing. You can easily shorten the chain in back if your hair is long with somtething. I would probably go for one of those little rubber bands that my daughter wears on her braces.
lol. Yep, it was my go to bed shirt
9.gif
ok, I looked at it some more under normal day light condition, the chain is actually stamped 18K but very thick, and the pendant itself, in the back is gold then half (prong and the diamond part that you see) front part looks like its dipped in Rhodium to turn it white gold looking, however it has not turned yellow as it has been 10 years since I''ve received the gift.
posting more pictures of the sapphire... I just cleaned and louped it, and it looks there is an internal fracture
39.gif
seeping out I see a slight crack.
7.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you see what I see? a fracture on the right side? the belly side?

sapphireloupedt1 001.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sapphireloupedt1 002.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sapphireloupedt1 003.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
last one.

sapphireloupedt1 004.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry last one

sapphireloupedt1 006.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s hard to tell. Normally, it''s easier to see it from the bottom up (upside down). Try looking at it that way.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unfortunately the diamond prong portion covering the back quite a bit, but there is a little crack on the surface with a very long internal fracture. Should I leave this as is, as to not harm this sapphire any more
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't sound good - I'd leave it as it is then. Sorry D&T. I know you were looking forward to improve the look of the sapphire.
7.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bummer
39.gif
... well guess I''ll go back to looking for settings for my loose stones again. I guess on my next wish list will be a nicer NOT fractured blue sapphire ( I guess this is a positive so I can now shop for a sapphire) I was hesitant on wanting another blue sapphire seeing as I already had one albeit not the best color and cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results