shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m sorry....yet another question about apprasials

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
If we buy a diamond on BN and get it appraised and then put it in a seting, do we have to get it reapprasied? Or should the setting come with an apprasial and we just give both apprasials to the insurance company?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on how you go about doing it. your jeweler should give you another appraisal with the settings. If you want to do another appraisal, you can do so.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
So I can combine the diamond apprasial and setting apprasial if they are done by two seperate people? I wouldn''t care to much about an independent apprasial on the setting.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Complying with the minimum requirements of the insurance companies is usually pretty easy but the real answer to your question is to ask your insurance agent or the underwriter.

As a general observation: When I have clients take back a ring to the jeweler due to problems discovered during the appraisal session, the #1 reason is craftsmanship problems with the mounting, problems with the setting job or damage caused to the stone and/or mounting while setting. If you discover these things early in your ownership it’s easy to go back to the jeweler but if you discover them later the insurance company can dismiss the claim as ‘pre-existing damage’ and the jeweler can dismiss it as an expired warranty. That leaves you in a pickle. In my opinion, the most important time to get a professional appraisal is after the project is complete and that can then serve as a benchmark attesting to the condition and quality immediately before the start of the insurance contract. You are not insuring a collection of components, you are insuring a ring.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 9:34:39 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Complying with the minimum requirements of the insurance companies is usually pretty easy but the real answer to your question is to ask your insurance agent or the underwriter.

As a general observation: When I have clients take back a ring to the jeweler due to problems discovered during the appraisal session, the #1 reason is craftsmanship problems with the mounting, problems with the setting job or damage caused to the stone and/or mounting while setting. If you discover these things early in your ownership it’s easy to go back to the jeweler but if you discover them later the insurance company can dismiss the claim as ‘pre-existing damage’ and the jeweler can dismiss it as an expired warranty. That leaves you in a pickle. In my opinion, the most important time to get a professional appraisal is after the project is complete and that can then serve as a benchmark attesting to the condition and quality immediately before the start of the insurance contract. You are not insuring a collection of components, you are insuring a ring.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results