shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m so frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Need_ring_quickly

Rough_Rock
Ok, I am needing to propose to my g/f like last week and she is getting seriously upset, but I''m having problems finding the right ring. Well, I take that back...I''m having problems getting somebody to work with me on my terms and not being unreasonble or selfish when it comes to the process of selling me their product. The first problem I''m having is that my g/f prefers rectangular radiant diamonds and every jewler I talk to acts like it is near impossible to set one of these in a ring. I don''t see why that is the case, but hey I''m not the expert here. However, the main problem I''m facing is that I purchased my diamonds online and saved thousands of dollars and now nobody wants to set them for me, or they want to charge me an arm and leg as punishment for not buying their marked of diamonds!!!! If anybody knows of a company or web site where I can find a 3 stone engagement ring in white gold that would work with rectangular radiants where I can just buy the setting that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance for any responses

James

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good old gold. Give them a call, and they will take care of you.

E B

Ideal_Rock
James,

What shape side stones are you looking for in this three stone ring? Radiants? Or anything that looks good with a radiant center?

Need_ring_quickly

Rough_Rock
Yes, I bought some radiant sidestones from Bluenile. That''s why I need a 3 stone setting that doesn''t come with the sidestones already in place.

thanks james

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
james, i dont like your chances of finding a pre-made 3 stone setting with none of the stones in place; it''s just not a common 3 ring shape for a stock setting. and jewelers dont carry pre-made rings in all sizes for all shapes. even for the most common shapes for 3 stone rings (probably round brilliant and square) most stock settings come in pre-determined proportions anyway. so you''re probably looking at a custom made setting - which means probably a couple of thousand, even for white gold, and some weeks for it to be made.

i love BN and buy most of my stones through them, but you need to be aware that if you take this path you need to be working with a jeweler. i work with von bargens in new hampshire (i live in new york but i make the drive because i like their work) for custom made settings, but i normally talk to them beforehand to see which direction i should head before buying stones.

my guess is it''s unlikely you''ll find a pre-made setting, or that you''ll be able to rustle up something in a hurry. if you''re looking at a custom made setting, tell your fiancee-to-be to be calm; she''ll be getting a beautiful ring!

good luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree you are not going to find something off the shelf to fit those kind of stones, if you want to use the stones you have it''s going to be custom (thousand and up). You saved money on the front end, you will have to spend some of that in setting them.
On the main page of Pricescope, go to Jewelry resources: local jewelers. If you put in your zip it will (hopefully) bring up some jewelers in your area who are welcoming to pricescopers (working with outside stones). Please keep us posted of your project! Oh yeah, though we may have ideas of which stones work together, don''t be surprised if the vendor gives an opinion of say those stones might not work together, or are not a great pair, etc. It''s not that they are dissing your stones, just that they have alot more experience with what works and what doesn''t.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
As a TEMPORARY measure - how about buying a simple solitaire setting for the centre stone (which should be easier to find quickly, and allow you to propose), then work together with your FI to get her a really nice custom setting incorporating the side stones and possibly some fancy metal work that she would like. It may end up costing you a couple of hundreds more, but it may be worth it.

JasonFaber

Rough_Rock
If you literally want it all to be done by tomorrow, Jared can do it for you, as they have no problems taking other peoples diamonds and putting it onto their settings. They can also get it done within a day, at least that was the case for me.

For example, they had origionally shown me this setting and set a 1.2ct Radiant cut diamond on top of it, in which it looked spectacular. Their prices aren't that great when it comes to their diamonds, but I didn't buy the princess cut diamond that I ended up using from them anyhow. They stated, if I want, they can set the stone for me and have it all ready within a few hours. They do charge about $200 or so for setting the center diamond if I remember right (+ and extra $150 for lifetime maintenance), but they charge the same even if you buy the diamond from them, so it makes no difference. Seeing as how you also want your diamonds to be the side stones, I am not sure what they can do about that, but they do try to make everyone that walks in happy.

2 XS.JPG

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:55:19 AM
Author: whitby_2773

james, i dont like your chances of finding a pre-made 3 stone setting with none of the stones in place; it''s just not a common 3 ring shape for a stock setting. and jewelers dont carry pre-made rings in all sizes for all shapes. even for the most common shapes for 3 stone rings (probably round brilliant and square) most stock settings come in pre-determined proportions anyway. so you''re probably looking at a custom made setting - which means probably a couple of thousand, even for white gold, and some weeks for it to be made.

i love BN and buy most of my stones through them, but you need to be aware that if you take this path you need to be working with a jeweler. i work with von bargens in new hampshire (i live in new york but i make the drive because i like their work) for custom made settings, but i normally talk to them beforehand to see which direction i should head before buying stones.

my guess is it''s unlikely you''ll find a pre-made setting, or that you''ll be able to rustle up something in a hurry. if you''re looking at a custom made setting, tell your fiancee-to-be to be calm; she''ll be getting a beautiful ring!

good luck!

sorry-thread jack...
Whitby-I love VB!!! I grew up in Hanover so I know their store on Main St. quite well. Have you posted pics of your collection yet? I''d love to see it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 7:51:10 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
As a TEMPORARY measure - how about buying a simple solitaire setting for the centre stone (which should be easier to find quickly, and allow you to propose), then work together with your FI to get her a really nice custom setting incorporating the side stones and possibly some fancy metal work that she would like. It may end up costing you a couple of hundreds more, but it may be worth it.

This is a great idea! (since it should have been done yesteday
2.gif
)

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I agree, this is an excellent solution. Set the center for now and work with your GF to reset it later with the sides. The final ring will really be special since you both created it together...

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Or, present all three stones to her in a gorgeous silk, velvet or suede pouch and suggest you both create a ring together, as a symbol of your forever bond and the building of your new life together. Perhaps each stone is "found" separately, beginning with one of the sides until all three are found and put together... just in time for a surprise proposal. Next, have a day ALREADY planned and set-up to go to a special lunch together and then meet with your jeweler. Have everything organized and thought out ahead of time so your three loose stones do not seem like a haphazard, thrown-together gift, but, rather, part of a wonderful, romantic, MASTER PLAN!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:57:56 AM
Author: Rockit
Or, present all three stones to her in a gorgeous silk, velvet or suede pouch and suggest you both create a ring together, as a symbol of your forever bond and the building of your new life together. Perhaps each stone is ''found'' separately, beginning with one of the sides until all three are found and put together... just in time for a surprise proposal. Next, have a day ALREADY planned and set-up to go to a special lunch together and then meet with your jeweler. Have everything organized and thought out ahead of time so your three loose stones do not seem like a haphazard, thrown-together gift, but, rather, part of a wonderful, romantic, MASTER PLAN!

LOL, this is a great plan!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:02:36 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Date: 3/26/2009 11:57:56 AM

Author: Rockit

Or, present all three stones to her in a gorgeous silk, velvet or suede pouch and suggest you both create a ring together, as a symbol of your forever bond and the building of your new life together. Perhaps each stone is ''found'' separately, beginning with one of the sides until all three are found and put together... just in time for a surprise proposal. Next, have a day ALREADY planned and set-up to go to a special lunch together and then meet with your jeweler. Have everything organized and thought out ahead of time so your three loose stones do not seem like a haphazard, thrown-together gift, but, rather, part of a wonderful, romantic, MASTER PLAN!

LOL, this is a great plan!

If you did do that, I would make sure they are wrapped up individually I would hate to see your stones damage each other.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the suggestion of setting the center stone in a solitaire and propose that way. Good luck to you!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:52:11 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Date: 3/26/2009 3:55:19 AM

Author: whitby_2773

good luck!

sorry-thread jack...

Whitby-I love VB!!! I grew up in Hanover so I know their store on Main St. quite well. Have you posted pics of your collection yet? I''d love to see it.

hudsonhawk -

i LOVE VB''s - they do awesome work, and their new master jeweler (barrett satzmann) is just sensational. they did a ring for me for Christmas (photo attached) and are currently resetting larger sidestones to my engagement ring which i''ll post when it gets back (about 2 more weeks - i''m dying here!)

i''ve actually chatted with jason thom about becoming a pricescope sponsor and offering PSers a discount; will follow this up with him in the coming weeks. i think their in-house work is as good as anything else i''ve seen on here.

and isn''t hanover a gorgeous town! i love going up there for weekends away - so romantic and lovely - the quintessential New England town. lovely :)

whitbyring2a.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
whoops - sorry - should have said - they did the top ring (triple). the bottom one is a facets band, 2.68ct, - 20 x 13.5pt stones.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Put the center stone in a solitaire and let her design her own ring. Win win.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:39:06 PM
Author: neatfreak
Put the center stone in a solitaire and let her design her own ring. Win win.
Ditto. If you have fancy side stones finding a stock setting is got gonna be easy unless they, and your center are calibrated in size. You may have to do a special order or a custom design.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
I really like the idea of presenting her with the stones and then designing the setting together. I think it''s very romantic and that way she''ll get to have a say in what the ring looks like.

Of course, I''m rather picky about the design of my engagement ring, so maybe that''s why I like this idea so much.
3.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:33:55 AM
Author: Gypsy
Good old gold. Give them a call, and they will take care of you.

ditto. Plus they have a lifetime upgrade policy, and I''ve heard nothing but amazing things about how accommodating their customer service is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results