shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m so bummed - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I''m not sure why you''re saying you must have that EXACT ring or none at all! Why not find a jeweler to make a nearly identical ring? I found a local designer who made a pendant almost identical to one I showed in a picture and I am very happy with the results.

The deal is Shenoa & Co. isn''t reliable and they even go by other names (Global Bargain Hunters) to hide their bad reputation, so chances are if you have a similar ring made and pick out your own center stone, you''ll be getting a MUCH better & higher quality ring.

Seems like that would be the best solution to the problem.

Good luck!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 11:00:39 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 10/7/2007 10:54:38 PM
Author: marvel

That would be an independent appraiser. You can find them at most jewelry stores and they will appraise a stone/ring for about $100. Good thinking though
emwink.gif

Marvel, if you find the appaiser at a jewelry store... chances are that they are dependant, not independant. If you want a truly independant opinion... you should go to a non-affliated independant appraiser, like Neil Beaty. That''s where I sent my ring and diamond. And believe me, there is a HUGE difference between a true independent and knowledgeable appraiser belonging to strict professional organizations and the guy that took online GIA courses and is telling you that you got taken... and by the way have you seen the lovely selection of rings featured in THIS store?
Hi Gypsy...which store are you referring too..I''m confused
33.gif
But you''re right, people shouldn''t have a ring appraised by just anyone...it should be a non-affliated independant appraiser. I was mainly referring to ouivalerie''s suggestion that "Somebody should start a jewelry examination buisness". This sounded like what an apparaiser would do, unless I misunderstood her post.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:51:18 AM

Date: 10/7/2007 11:00:39 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 10/7/2007 10:54:38 PM

That would be an independent appraiser. You can find them at most jewelry stores and they will appraise a stone/ring for about $100. Good thinking though
emwink.gif

Marvel, if you find the appaiser at a jewelry store... chances are that they are dependant, not independant. If you want a truly independant opinion... you should go to a non-affliated independant appraiser, like Neil Beaty. That''s where I sent my ring and diamond. And believe me, there is a HUGE difference between a true independent and knowledgeable appraiser belonging to strict professional organizations and the guy that took online GIA courses and is telling you that you got taken... and by the way have you seen the lovely selection of rings featured in THIS store?
Hi Gypsy...which store are you referring too..I''m confused
33.gif
But you''re right, people shouldn''t have a ring appraised by just anyone...it should be a non-affliated independant appraiser. I was mainly referring to ouivalerie''s suggestion that ''Somebody should start a jewelry examination buisness''. This sounded like what an apparaiser would do, unless I misunderstood her post.

I think it was just a miscommication problem... written words and interpretation and all that. You are absolutely correct, in response to that question there are many who have clearly thought the same thing... and they are called appraisers, as you pointed out. LOL. Sorry!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
LOL...No worries, Gypsy
1.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi kindastuck...... you have found a beautiful ring! it stinks the company who makes it does not have a good reputation. but you have some good pics of it. engagementringsdirect.com (mark turnowski) does custom work and from the pics i''ve seen here, his work looks VERY good. give him a call and email him the pic, see what he says. from the work i''ve seen of his, your ring looks like something he could do (with some minor changes of course to avoid copyright infringement).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go and try the ring on before you make up your mind. If you''ve only seen it online, and not on your own finger, with your own eyes, you really don''t know for sure what the quality is like, or if it sits too high, etc. Since this particular company appears to have a lot of negative feedback, I definitely would not buy a diamond from them at the very least. If you can''t live without the setting, then get the setting and know what you''re getting yourself into. Is the finish quality good? Is it practical? Are the melee diamonds and the sapphires of good quality? What kind of warranty does it have? Can you put any wedding band with it, or does it have to have a custom band?

I''ve seen a lot of similar diamond and sapphire E-rings out there. Tacori and Varna have some, but there are others too. Is it the engraving you like? Maybe if you can identify what you like most about this ring, and offer a budget, someone here can post alternatives or custom work they might have seen.

In the end, it''s your choice. You have to wear the ring, and the ring needs to stand up to some wear and tear to make you happy, right? I mean, you wouldn''t want to get your dream ring and find you can''t wear it all the time because the diamond is set too high, or stones come loose or whatever. Definitely examine it in person.

kindastuck

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:

I called Shenoa at their Manhattan store. I inquired about the particular ring and was told he had to see if they had it in stock and would call me back. He called me back within 30 minutes. They said that they did not have that particular ring in stock, but could order it. I advised the person on the phone that I didn''t want to order it without seeing it first. They said they totally understood and would call their distributor (or something like that... can''t remember what he said) and call me back. They called me back in less than an hour and said that they had one recently and it sold BUT he thinks there is either one on the way to the store or one is on order. The lady that handles all of that was out of the office on Monday and Tuesday and He said that he would call me on Wednesday and let me know for sure. He said, regardless, we can get that setting in the store so you can see it with your own eyes and try it on. Also, I asked about buying just the setting and he said sure, not an issue. So far, they have been professional, polite and called back when they said they would.

Hopefully, not the calm before the storm.

kindastuck

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 1:58:50 PM
Author: lyra

In the end, it''s your choice. You have to wear the ring, and the ring needs to stand up to some wear and tear to make you happy, right? I mean, you wouldn''t want to get your dream ring and find you can''t wear it all the time because the diamond is set too high, or stones come loose or whatever. Definitely examine it in person.

Definitely - especially considering I also have a passion for sports cars and work on my two-seater roadster often. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2007 8:03:55 PM
Author: kindastuck

Definitely - especially considering I also have a passion for sports cars and work on my two-seater roadster often. :D
You''d need to take any diamond ring off to do car work, yard work, etc. anyway!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update. Reading this with great interest. wanting to see how it all pans out. I''m glad you will be able to see it in person. My advice is to proceed with caution.
2.gif

kindastuck

Rough_Rock
I almost never do... I have a platinum and citrine ring that I leave on, also my Tag Heuer Alter Ego ladies watch... :D I''m really bad with this stuff... I''m not your typical girl... I don''t even take my watch off when I shower, because I can be a bit absent minded and will forget to put it back on. Basically I''m a sports loving, race car driving, beer snob... I have no idea why he loves me... but thank god he does! ;-)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
kindastuck, please be aware that pave rings like the one you love no matter who the designer are not made to take a ton of wear and tear abuse. the little diamonds can pop out easily if one of the beads holding it in place would get hit. seriously, many gals here won''t even put their pave ring in an ultrasonic cleaner to be cleaned. if you''re wanting a 24/7 bang around kind of ring, i''d look at more durable styles or be prepared to keep heading back to shenoa for lost stones and repairs. unfortunately, as beautiful as pave is, super durable it''s not. I would also be concerned with a diamond set up as high as it is in the ring you posted. it''s going to get caught on things and you''d have for a prong to snag while working on a car and your diamond to fly out never to be seen or heard from again. Not to scare you, just giving you some hopefully helpful advice after years of personal reseach on pave rings.

i can''t wait for you to see it in person though and give us your thoughts.

kindastuck

Rough_Rock
Maybe I will wear the engagement ring VERY carefully during the engagement and then after we are married, stick with the wedding band mostly and the engagement ring for going out to dinner, theater, etc.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2007 8:23:03 PM
Maybe I will wear the engagement ring VERY carefully during the engagement and then after we are married, stick with the wedding band mostly and the engagement ring for going out to dinner, theater, etc.
Probably a wise idea in order to keep it in beautiful condition! I love your wedding colors, by the way!

kindastuck

Rough_Rock
what about a treated diamond?

I'd hate, in my all my klutziness... to mess up a very expensive diamond.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 8:40:17 PM

what about a treated diamond?

I''d hate, in my all my klutziness... to mess up a very expensive diamond.

just make sure the ring is insured and you''ll be fine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and consider having a plain wedding band for everyday wear, and like you said before, just wear the pave ring when you go out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results