shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m ready to propose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SB10

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone! I just started reading the posts on PS and I wish I would have found this site sooner. I am planning to propose to my gf soon (4-6 weeks) and we have been looking at rings. We started looking in the mall and we both liked a 2 ctw three stone pricess cut w/princess side stones in channel setting at Zales. (Center stone is .62.) We both knew very little about diamonds at the time. Anyway, I have spent the last week searching online and a few days ago I saw the ring we had liked at Zales on sale for $2500. However, it is not GIA certified. It is a J, SI1 according to the website. (picture attached) I bought it so that I can see for myself if it looks like a good ring. But after reading the posts on PS, I think I should reconsider. Can I afford a quality 2ctw ring for around $3000 (including ring and setting). I did some searching on BN and I liked a three stone princess cut with pave setting, .91 very good cut, G, SI2 center stone and .46 very good cut, G, SI2 for each side stone, the total was $6500. This is over my budget but do you think it is better to spend the extra money for this ring or stick with my original budget and keep the Zales ring if it looks good? Any advice is much appreciated. This site is like having tons of friends in the diamond industry.

Blue Nile ring http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5923&page=1&show_all_pages=1&filter_id=1&col=3&row=19&pos=57&set_shape=

pZALE1-2758228t400.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I''d think that if your budget is $3000, you might want to do more looking before settling on the Zales ring for good. Are you dead set on that type of setting?

SB10

Rough_Rock
I really like the three stone setting the best. It looks great on her and she agrees that it looks good.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, Zale''s isn''t known for quality or value. So it''s pretty doubtful that the the Zale''s ring will be good quality or a good deal. I think you''re much better off doing more research here on Pricescope so you can make a fully informed decision. For a $3000 budget, I''d probably go with a simple, inexpensive setting and get the biggest center stone I could.

However, if you''re set on a three stone, here are a few setting options (the prices don''t include center stones.)

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=202&rn=961&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=202&rn=808&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=202&rn=516&action=show_detail

With a center stone like this:

http://whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-312219.htm

This is an AGS 0 certified princess cut diamond, which means it scores the best it possibly can for light return. Therefore, it''s pretty much guaranteed to outperform the Zale''s ring you ordered. Plus it''s larger-.71 carats, and has better color and better clarity.

Now, if you can be swayed to go for a plain setting now (you can always upgrade the setting later for an anniversary gift or whatever) and up your budget you could totally swing a 1 carat princess cut:

http://whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-312221.htm

Please don''t go with Zale''s, no matter what you decide to do!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2007 6:06:56 PM
Author:SB10

Hi everyone! I just started reading the posts on PS and I wish I would have found this site sooner. I am planning to propose to my gf soon (4-6 weeks) and we have been looking at rings. We started looking in the mall and we both liked a 2 ctw three stone pricess cut w/princess side stones in channel setting at Zales. (Center stone is .62.) We both knew very little about diamonds at the time. Anyway, I have spent the last week searching online and a few days ago I saw the ring we had liked at Zales on sale for $2500. However, it is not GIA certified. It is a J, SI1 according to the website. (picture attached) I bought it so that I can see for myself if it looks like a good ring. But after reading the posts on PS, I think I should reconsider. Can I afford a quality 2ctw ring for around $3000 (including ring and setting). I did some searching on BN and I liked a three stone princess cut with pave setting, .91 very good cut, G, SI2 center stone and .46 very good cut, G, SI2 for each side stone, the total was $6500. This is over my budget but do you think it is better to spend the extra money for this ring or stick with my original budget and keep the Zales ring if it looks good? Any advice is much appreciated. This site is like having tons of friends in the diamond industry.

Blue Nile ring http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5923&page=1&show_all_pages=1&filter_id=1&col=3&row=19&pos=57&set_shape=

Who says it''s a J SI1 if it''s not certified? And by certified I mean GIA, AGS or even EGL in this case. In other words, if you purchase from Zales you can be assured you''re not getting what you paid for. If she has her heart set on that particular setting, you can still get a much better stone (and larger) with that setting for 3K, and get the additional two stones at a later time from a trusted vendor like Whiteflash. At least this way, you''ll know exactly what you''re getting and can be assured of an amazing stone and ring.

p.s. This may sound harsh but really, Zales is junk. Those are industrial grade diamonds as far as i''m concerned. And it''s a shame that most people don''t know this.

SB10

Rough_Rock
Thanks thing2of2! I really like the first setting from Knoxjewelers, it looks just like the zales ring and for $3600, I could get the same ring, actually with a larger center stone. Is Knoxjewelers a good place to buy from and can I send the setting to WF so that they can put the stone in? I personally think the 1 ctw solitare looks a little plain when she tried it on, the three stone stood out so muh more, it had more of a WOW factor. I really appreciate everyone''s suggestions.

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
I vote "no" for zales as well.

I''ve spent alot of time looking around for the perfect stone, and let me tell you, you want something where her mouth opens and says "wow" every time she looks at it. Here''s a story: my friend got a new princess cut at Helzberg diamonds...it was ok...the cut was terrible, there was no sparkle, it just was there. Then another friend comes by and we say to her "let''s see your ring..." My mouth dropped open. It was half the size of the Helzberg stone (I think it was a 0.50ct, but boy, did that thing sparkle like mad. That''s when I knew that those 4c''s (and especially a well cut stone) really mattered. If you''re going to buy at one of those mall jewelers, you might as well put a CZ in the setting.

Just my experience.

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Oh and btw, I had said "Wow" really loudly and without thinking...so afterwards I felt really bad because the girl who got the Helzberg stone was really excited about her giant stone...even though I wasn''t...

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for returning the Zales ring. Diamond cut quality makes a HUGE difference in the WOW factor, and is probably a big reason the solitaire seemed like a dud. Because it was.
14.gif

Now that you have found Pricescope, you can learn how to get her that WOW ring.
36.gif

Good luck!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2007 10:13:38 PM
Author: SB10
Thanks thing2of2! I really like the first setting from Knoxjewelers, it looks just like the zales ring and for $3600, I could get the same ring, actually with a larger center stone. Is Knoxjewelers a good place to buy from and can I send the setting to WF so that they can put the stone in? I personally think the 1 ctw solitare looks a little plain when she tried it on, the three stone stood out so muh more, it had more of a WOW factor. I really appreciate everyone''s suggestions.

You''re welcome! Knoxjewelers is a recommended Pricescope vendor and so is Whiteflash. I personally got my diamond and custom made setting from Whiteflash and I highly recommend them. (Ask for Sheerah-she''s my favorite sales rep!) You should be able to get Knox to send the setting to Whiteflash and have Whiteflash set your stone. (Whiteflash will probably charge a small setting fee for this.) I would definitely recommend having Whiteflash set the stone for you, though, so they will cover it in case anything should happen while setting it.

Also, Whiteflash does great custom work and you might as well ask them for a quote for the same setting to see how much they would charge for it. If it''s the same or almost the same price, it would be a little more convenient and you wouldn''t have to pay the setting fee. And I totally understand about preferring the three stone setting over the solitaire-I like more ornate settings for myself also!

One more great thing to know about Whiteflash is that they offer a lifetime upgrade policy, so if you or your girlfriend ever wants to trade in your center diamond for a larger one or a different shape or whatever, Whiteflash will give you full credit for the original purchase price of the diamond.

SB10

Rough_Rock
More great advice! Thanks! I was wondering, what do you think of the Blue Nile ring? Does BN have a good rep and do they offer the same upgrade policy?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote you return it as well. The cut is the most important "wow" factor in a diamond and I would guess the diamond from Z is far from being an ideal cut. A well cut solitaire will wow you all on it''s own so my guess is the one she tried on was very poorly cut with a low color / clarity and that is why you didn''t find it appealing. Those are the diamonds I call "charcoal". I suggest buying the best quality diamond you can afford and buy it from a place that will take it back on trade if you ever decide to go for a bigger diamond. I think you can find something very lovely in your price range from a trusted online vendor. The ideal cut diamonds will look larger as well because they are so lively and bright.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 12:35:48 AM
Author: SB10
More great advice! Thanks! I was wondering, what do you think of the Blue Nile ring? Does BN have a good rep and do they offer the same upgrade policy?

No problem! The main issue people here on Pricescope have with Blue Nile is that they don''t provide any photos, sarin reports, Idealscopes, etc. for the diamonds they sell. They don''t own their inventory so they can''t inspect it for you before you buy it, which is important, especially if you''re buying a fancy shape like a princess or emerald or whatever-you can''t really go on numbers alone for fancy cuts. (You can on rounds, for the most part.)

With a PS vendor like Whiteflash, they carry their own inventory (the diamond I posted is one of their own) but can also call in a stone from a diamond wholesaler for you and they will then inspect it and run reports, take photos, etc. before you purchase it.

Also, Blue Nile has NO upgrade policy, which sucks, if you ask me! I like having that option in the back of my mind, you know? So I would personally go with Whiteflash over Blue Nile for sure.

SB10

Rough_Rock
I returned the Zales ring. Although it seemed like a good deal and actually the diamonds did not look bad, the setting was wrong. Any advice on purchasing a setting online before you get a chance to try it on. I like the Knoxjewelers setting but I''m afraid it might not fit well like the Zales ring.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you returned it... you can do SO much better through one of the vendors here. You can always find more carat weight "on sale," but typically from a place like Zales, it is not worth the money as they are not very well cut. Going with a smaller, excellent cut will look SOOOO much better!

ETA: I had stopped into Zales for a quick look at widths of bands. The SA didn't know what I was talking about when I referred to millimeters (she couldn't pronounce it either). And the diamonds, well... sure, they had some sparkle- even glitter and glass and ice can sparkle... but that is nothing compared to a well cut diamond. Also, even there H color stones had some warmth to them while members here have Js that face up white white white... the cut makes all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results