shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm not sure what it is, but look what I found

oooohh shiny

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone! I've been lurking for a while; one day I got bored and well now let's just say I'm obsessed with learning about diamonds. I don't currently have any diamonds or real jewelry but the other day I asked my mom about cleaning my cheap jewelry and she cleaned some of hers. Well she pulled out this ring that I had never seen or knew existed and I'm in love with it! It was from my great grandfather's house when he passed but beyond that I don't know anything about it. The little stones on the sides sparkle and Mom said they may be diamonds, I was skeptical because you can see right through it but if you look at it through the "bottom" there is a little fire. After looking at the pics, it looks as though the stone may be upside down. What do you think? Would a jeweler be able to tell me anything for free or do I need an appraisal? I definitely don't want to sell it but I guess if the stone is upside down I should see about getting that fixed. Oh and it's stamped TCHECOSLOVA... with one or two letters more I think; I could only make it out on the pics and batteries ran out so when they are charged I'll see if I can read the end of it. Here's my not so great pictures-

OldRing1.jpg

OldRing2.jpg

OldRing3.jpg

OldRingSide.jpg

oooohh shiny

Rough_Rock
After much eyestrain and some help from Google I believe the stone is a single cut that is turned almost sideways. If I tilt it just right so that I'm looking right at the table, it does show more reflections than I saw before and is less glass like and a lot prettier and whiter (compared to clear). Kinda strange, the ring has 9 prongs. The rest of the letters are half worn but I think the ring used to say TCHECOSLOVAQIE which all I found was 2 references to glass items and 1 or 2 jewelery items that did not include any clear/white stones so with that and the fact that the ring does not have any indication of what type of metal, I'm thinking it is probably glass/crystal but I want to take it to a jeweler and have them test it. Regardless of what the stone is, I think it should be fixed if possible so it can shine; I did notice it sparkling a lot in the bathroom, LOL. I've only ever read about single cuts in reference to pave, are/were larger diamonds ever cut as single cuts?

OldRingWhite.jpg

OldRingStamp.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
What is seem up side down to you could be a rose cut diamond Dear! Rose cut are always place like this in the setting. Ask to a jeweler to test it for you!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it may be a rose cut stone.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks to be a rose cut to me too. Nice find!

oooohh shiny

Rough_Rock
Thanks hoping to get to the jeweler this week. I have a charm that I want to get checked out too. Anyone know what I should expect to pay to have the prongs checked & possibly tightened? I'm afraid to wear it since it's missing 2 stones :( I don't want to loose more.

pkanawha

Rough_Rock
Jewelers often charge nothing to check the prongs. It's easy for an expert to do and costs them nothing in materials. And if it does need new prongs, they hope you'll get your work done through them. And if you don't need new prongs, perhaps you'll spot some nice little piece of jewelry in their shop that you just can't live without. While I can't quote you a price on having the prongs repaired, should they need it, I can tell you that you surely don't want to wear the ring without getting them fixed if they do need it. Anyway, congratulations on your nice little find. Rose cuts, by the way, are one of the oldest cuts as antique cuts go.

mrsjacob

Shiny_Rock
Sure looks like rose cut diamonds. I used to have one in a similar setting, and it was like shimmery glass. Your ring is very very sweet and beautiful!

oooohh shiny

Rough_Rock
Well it turned out the ring was costume jewelery however my pendant charm I also took in is gold with rubies, sapphires, and pearls so score! It's been gone 9 days while it was waiting to be looked at, I am so nervous. It's getting prongs fixed now, hopefully that will not take so long.

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
Wonderful! Can you post pics of the pendant?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results