shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m NEW, my story...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2danes

Shiny_Rock
I''ve spent a TON of time looking at all your lovely sparkelies. I hope to be able to post mine soon.

Here''s my story: DH and I are coming up on our second anniversary. I''m also coming up on my 40th (yikes) birthday. What I wanted more than anything for my 40th was a pair of RB diamond studs.

Well, in November I had a little accident walking my dogs, I broke my ring finger.

After 3 months, the swelling didn''t go down, and I had to have my wedding ring, my eternity band, and my engagement ring CUT OFF! I was devestated. My ring finger is MUCH larger now than it ever was, so I now wear my wedding ring and eternity band on my right hand. But I feel empty without something on my left.
So sweet, dear, DH suggested getting my e-ring reset (oh joy!)

I''ve got my heart set on a split shank halo setting (I never would have even known that unless I''d seen all your lovely ones posted here.)

So, I impatiently wait. Had an MRI two days ago to see if there is ligament damage, or a need for surgery. All I really want is to KNOW what my ring size will be so that we can get on the SETTING train.

Anyhow, thought I''d finally say hello~~ and thanks for keeping me excited about something through all your beautiful rings.

Annie

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Hi there 2danes! Welcome!

I hope that your finger is feeling better soon, and that it''s not anything more serious.

What a wonderful anniversary/birthday treat! Do you have any settings in mind yet? This is one of my favourite split shanks, here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/birks-new-split-shank-design-remarkable.79569/

Do keep us posted as you make your decision!

Best of luck!
35.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hi 2danes! You broke your finger walking your dogs?? Ow! Hopefully you''ll get good news and will proceed with your re-setting as soon as possible! I can imagine how hard it must be. Can''t wait to see what you choose!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Oh! So sorry about your finger! I hope there is no ligament damage! Did you get your MRI results?

I can''t wait to see what you select!

Good Luck!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Lane and AmberWaves!

Lane, I LOVE that setting! I''m looking for a halo as well, though. While I LOVE my diamond, I do wish it was a tad larger (What do you PSers call that? Diamond shrinkage syndrome?) I love how halos really seem to make a stone stand out. I can''t remember who posted a halo before and after that made my jaw drop.

I''m wanting a split shank to simulate my eternity band that will probably NEVER fit on my left hand again (it barely fits on my right hand!)

There''s a beautiful one from James Allen that I noticed (not sure yet how to post links or pics...)

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Coatimundi!

I (hopefully) find out today or tomorrow about ligament damage. It''s been totally frustrating! The MRI was one of the most claustraphobic moments of my life!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a setting I love from James Allen:

http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_294-1142_build.asp?module=setting

It''s maybe a bit more than our budget will allow, but it''s stunning!
The center stone in that setting is huge, though.
Mine diamond is just under carat. It''s a .90, so it''d look different, lol.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gee, some people really will do anything for an upgrade....
9.gif
2.gif

I''m sorry you have to get one this way, but we''ll choose to look on the bright side!
36.gif

And that setting would be lovely with a stone your size, really!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
lol!
Does it make me look desperate?

Once I figure out how I''ll post pics of my old setting (it''s cut in two right now... )
so that when it''s all said and done I''ll have before and after shots.

It is very fun to have something to look forward to.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Is your name an indication of what kind of dogs you have? If so, no wonder why you broke your finger! So sorry to hear that happened to you...but what a wonderful consolation to get to re-set your stone. How fun!!!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek, that sounds terribly painful and I am so sorry about your rings (and finger, of course
2.gif
). But a new setting....how exciting!

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
2Danes,

I was struck by your story about your finger, because something like that happened to me last year. I somehow injured it (not broken, probably hurt from rock climbing the week prior), just one day woke up to a stiff, sore, middle sausage-finger (we joked that it was the bird-flue :) ). The injury progressed to some pretty bad swelling in which I could hardly bend it, always hurt and it was obviously not healing. X-rays, oral steroids and LOTS of ibuprophen later, it wasn''t getting better after about 3 months. The last resort the orthopedic gave me before exploratory surgery was a shot of cortisone right into the nerve sheath. I gave in and within three days of the shot I had my finger back. I had to do a lot of at-home therapy to get the motion back as well as keep it wrapped with Coban all the time for about 6 weeks, but it finally did heal.

THe story I got from the doc was that the nerve sheath is the only place in which fluids other than blood are exchanged in the fingers. It is a tiny space. He said that when I initially got swelling in the finger that opening just closed off so that the fluid couldn''t get out. The shot was to make the swelling go down in the sheath, the coban was to keep the fluid OUT until it all healed. I don''t know if this will help you any, but thought I would write it out in case it rings a bell with you.

Good Luck, and can''t wait to see your new ring when you get it!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your finger and woo hoo for a new setting.

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS!
35.gif

You must have some strong dogs! Ouch!

I hope your bling finger gets better real soon!
1.gif

Date: 3/6/2008 1:42:03 PM
Author: 2danes
Thank you Lane and AmberWaves!

Lane, I LOVE that setting! I''m looking for a halo as well, though. While I LOVE my diamond, I do wish it was a tad larger (What do you PSers call that? Diamond shrinkage syndrome?) I love how halos really seem to make a stone stand out. I can''t remember who posted a halo before and after that made my jaw drop.

I''m wanting a split shank to simulate my eternity band that will probably NEVER fit on my left hand again (it barely fits on my right hand!)

There''s a beautiful one from James Allen that I noticed (not sure yet how to post links or pics...)

2danes, Sorry to hear about your finger. I hope it has healed. I''m an owner of a split shank halo. I initially saw the James Allen one that you posted, but the price was out of my budget. I actually had my e-ring in another setting before changing it to the Simon G setting (didn''t know if you were referring to me).

Here''s a link to my old setting: old setting

Here''s a link to the new setting: current setting

Good luck with your setting search!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 7:24:08 PM
Author: Alleyoop
2Danes,

I was struck by your story about your finger, because something like that happened to me last year. I somehow injured it (not broken, probably hurt from rock climbing the week prior), just one day woke up to a stiff, sore, middle sausage-finger (we joked that it was the bird-flue :) ). The injury progressed to some pretty bad swelling in which I could hardly bend it, always hurt and it was obviously not healing. X-rays, oral steroids and LOTS of ibuprophen later, it wasn''t getting better after about 3 months. The last resort the orthopedic gave me before exploratory surgery was a shot of cortisone right into the nerve sheath. I gave in and within three days of the shot I had my finger back. I had to do a lot of at-home therapy to get the motion back as well as keep it wrapped with Coban all the time for about 6 weeks, but it finally did heal.

THe story I got from the doc was that the nerve sheath is the only place in which fluids other than blood are exchanged in the fingers. It is a tiny space. He said that when I initially got swelling in the finger that opening just closed off so that the fluid couldn''t get out. The shot was to make the swelling go down in the sheath, the coban was to keep the fluid OUT until it all healed. I don''t know if this will help you any, but thought I would write it out in case it rings a bell with you.

Good Luck, and can''t wait to see your new ring when you get it!

HOLY SMOKES!
26.gif

You''ve given me SOMETHING to hope for!
That sounds so strangely familiar! What''s crazy is that I initially needed stitches, and we thought that was the whole problem. When I got the litocane (sp?) shot to numb my finger it swelled up like a balloon. The swelling hasn''t really subsided for months, thus the cutting off of my rings.
I''m going to seriously inquire about trying a cortisone shot!

Thanks so much for posting this!!!!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 4:05:08 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
Is your name an indication of what kind of dogs you have? If so, no wonder why you broke your finger! So sorry to hear that happened to you...but what a wonderful consolation to get to re-set your stone. How fun!!!!!

It''s true. I have two great danes, but they are just about the sweetest babies. As in most accidents, it was pretty much my own fault. I wasn''t paying attention, I was actually on my cell phone (drat!) when something spooked them.

I am excited for a new setting, though.

2danes

Shiny_Rock
First of all,
THANKS SO MUCH YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE! you''ve all made me feel so welcome!
Curious,
I am in love with that setting! It''s exactly what I''ve dreamed of.
Your diamond is gorgeous too.

lightseeker

Rough_Rock
I hope that you will be able to determine what size your finger will be soon, and that you are able to get something that you love!

I was ringless for about 6 months last year after a fall in Cancun in Feb 07 led to having my ring cut off my VERY swollen finger in an emergency room. They had no ring cutter, so a bolt cutter was used (by a Dr. that spoke no English)...NOT an adventure that I would care to repeat!

I left my finger bare until mid summer hoping my knuckle would shrink back to a size 5 1/2. It never did. Our 30th was in June, so we started designing a new ring (size 6 1/4)...which I finally got in August. I have tried on 5 1/2''s since that time, and I have accepted that my finger is not ever going there again.
8.gif

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Lightseeker,

Thanks for your story! It sounds like it was a TERRIBLE experience! I can''t even imagine!!!

I''m still awaiting the results from my MRI, and I think I might have to wait a LONG time to deterimine my ring size.
Guess I can count on never wearing a 5 1/2 again, though. That''s for sure.

Do you have problems with your ring twising with your new larger size?

Annie

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I''m sorry about your finger and your poor cut rings! I hope you are able to get your finger to heal soon so that you can get some bling back on that finger. I would feel nekid if I had a bare left hand!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks All for your well wishes!

Got the results from my MRI. No ligament damage, so that''s good news. Now I just need to meet with my doctor to try to figure out what to do next.

ALL I REALLY WANT IS TO HAVE MY FINGER IN RING SHAPE SO THAT WE CAN SERIOUSLY START LOOKING!

Thanks for giving me a place to vent, and some beautiful rings to drool over!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 3:09:55 PM
Thanks All for your well wishes!

Got the results from my MRI. No ligament damage, so that''s good news. Now I just need to meet with my doctor to try to figure out what to do next.

ALL I REALLY WANT IS TO HAVE MY FINGER IN RING SHAPE SO THAT WE CAN SERIOUSLY START LOOKING!

Thanks for giving me a place to vent, and some beautiful rings to drool over!
Just tell the doc this is the numero uno goal, do whatever it takes. Pronto.
11.gif
9.gif

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Well DRAT,

I heard from the dr. last night. Looks like a chip of bone might have taken some ligament with it.
Guess I can put my quest for a ring on hold... going to have to have surgery.
I guess the good news is that maybe after surgery there won''t be such a significant difference between
my knuckle and the lower part of my finger.

I am sad, though. Was hoping the healing would be sooner rather than later.
Will enjoy looking at your lovely rings while I heal.

Annie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2008 7:55:27 AM

It's true. I have two great danes

Annie, my daughter would flip. She volunteers once a month at the local Great Dane rescue, holding a dog during a "show" at a local pet food store. The rescue people have owners bring their adopted dogs in to show people so that they, also, get interested in adopting Great Danes. My daughter goes just so that she can be with the dogs! She did this even while our own Lab was alive. She just loves Great Danes. Do you have any pictures you can post?

Deborah
34.gif

2danes

Shiny_Rock
I do, and you are sweet. My girls are my babies.
I''ll see what I have here at work...
AND, I''ll see if I can actually figure out how to post.

Annie

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear of the impending surgery, but if that''s what it takes to get a ring on your finger, so be it. And look at it this way, it just gives you more time to scheme, I mean dream, of what you want.

2danes

Shiny_Rock
I''m going to try this.
This is my girl Penny. This is the photo from my phone.
Hard to believe that this angel face is part of the reason for my finger misery, isn''t it?

PenFace.jpg

2danes

Shiny_Rock
oh jeeze.
too big!
Almost life size that pic.
Let me figure this out...

Sorry all.

Annie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results