shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m new - but I have a newfound appreciation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
I'm looking forward to all you on Pricescope who are experts. I know that cut quality is the most important to me. I can also see color and it happens to bother the heck out of me (I can pick out tone differences from D to E). The problem I'm having is with the shape. I know that shape is based on preference, but my girl only wants "square," and there are a lot to choose from. I checked the FAQ and didn't see to much there to help me. I also tried to read "The Book" section, but I can't seem to find "The Book."

I prefer round, but she likes square, so square is what she's getting.

Q1: Which square shape is the most brilliant in terms of light return?
Q2: Which square is the best value?
Q3: Since AGS0 doesn't exist for some of these modified squares, how can I easily search and compare prices? A reputable shop only sells rounds & princess, so I can't compare easily.
Q4: Where can I go to have access to all these different shapes? Most shops only carry a small number and will ship what you want in advance.
Q5: Pricescope doesn't seem to have an easy way group cuts of these modified squares.

My stone budget is 8-$10k, 1.00-1.50 carats.

A little background since this is my first post:

My name is Mike and I have fallen in love in a woman that I intend to marry. I have to admit, I didn't care much for diamonds in the past (I enjoy investing), but I try to get the best for me and my girl, and she'll be the best investment of all...

With regard to diamonds, they all looked the same to me. In my late 20's, I've never been able to tell the difference between diamond and didn't see much point in spending too much for something that looks good under a scope. Now that I've researched this a bit, I couldn't even think about getting anything less than the best cut diamond that I can afford.

First time I looked, I went to Rogers & Hollands. Second time to Tiffany's (just for fun). Then I found GOG, Pricescope and proceeded to DimendScassi for some visuals (what a great guy Isaac is).

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Mike, wecome to Pricescope.

1) for "the book," hit forum at the top left, scroll 1/2 way down.

2) A conservative approach on this is Kennys and mine...live with the constraints, and stick with Pricessess & AGS0

3) Or, if you''re in either Chicago or NYC, and find you can trust Isaac''s or Jonathan''s "vision," on this...maybe they will serve as a credible expert for you, and you can shop outside princesses. Determine for yourself the extent you can trust them to guide you.

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Ira.

I would love to go with Isaac, but he appears to specialize in Princess & Rounds more than the other modified square cuts. Does GOG really have that good of a selection? I would consider flying there to have a look.

In your opinion, do you think some other square cuts have better brilliance, fire, and scintillation light return than a princess cut? That seems to be the consensus on GOG.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mike, I actually have no opinion on that...but am predisposed to think that success follows the mean...and that if princesses are second most popular, they may be a pretty optimized option. Not sure. I was just thinking that...to the extent you want to explore non-standard options, professionals such as Jonathan could point you in the right direction. I have no reason, myself, to think you should seek anything out apart from a Princess. Unless...someone like Jonathan might steer you that way. For example...I''d entertain a non-AGS option from either him, or Barry at Superbcert in NY. You might check out exceldiamonds.com for their offerings, too. They have a very strong presentation of princesses...though that may be their only square option, not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results