shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm new and I need some advice!

caitnyc

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I have been following spindle the forum for a couple of months. It has really been a great source of information.

My boyfriend and I have been looking for and engagements ring over the past few months. When this process started I thought I wanted a princess cut on a diamonds band. When I tried on a princess I realized I do not like them. They are just too harsh looking for my taste. So we started looking at rounds. I wasn't in love with those either. Finally a very nice jeweler showed me a royal asher cut. They were gorgeous, however a little beyond what we are looking to spend. The same jeweler showed me a ring that he made. It is a almost a very subtle halo. The diamonds are in the swoop of the prongs. I fell in love. He mostly carries rounds, princesses, and royal ashers. I wanted something else.

After a decency amount of looking I decided I liked square shaped radiants and cushions. The jeweler I liked said if we could find a nice stone in those shapes he would be happy to make the ring for me. I would like to use him as he is very nice and very helpful. I know someone else who had a ring made by him and they are very happy with the results. He also gave us a very reasonable price estimated.

So now I am looking for a stone. I am looking under a carat. I am 25 years old and live in NYC. I want something nice but not outrageous. I would like to spend as little as is needed to get a nice stone.

So I finally come to my question. Of course I have come across August Vintage Cushions on this site. They right now have a beautiful stone that is well priced. The only problem it is an L color. Tell me I am crazy and that it will look awful in a halo so that I can move on.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: I'm new and I need some advise!

Sorry. I can't tell you you are crazy. I think an L color diamond in a halo will be lovely. You can minimize the contrast with the center stone by getting warm colored SINGLE CUT melee for the halo. The single cut stones will allow the warmth to come forward in the melee and will help match the center. I'd ask for J/K single cut melee in the halo. If your jeweler can't get it put hm in touch with Victor Canera.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: I'm new and I need some advise!

I would like to point you toward this stone for a center though. Since you said you liked the RAs.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1260282.asp The stone is completely eyeclean, and a fabulous performer and it's a great price at $4,000 because of the SI. And would look amazing in a halo.

ASET:
file.jpg

Sarin:
file.jpg

Vendor Pic:
file.jpg

Here is in a real life pic:

Asscher JA F SI.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA does also have a showroom in NYC by appointment only. If you like that asscher you can ask for them to bring it to NYC for you and you can see it in person.

caitnyc

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much gypsy. I love your plain shank halo. I would have a plain shank as well. It's funny I have come so far from what I thought I wanted. I'm very half my boyfriend is ok with me being so involved. I guess I will have to go out to GOG and see the stones in person.

I have seen cushions and radiants in person. I do like them.

The stone you posted is super pretty. It's something else to think about. ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome. I do want to say though, if I wanted the most bang for my buck. I wouldn't be looking at branded cushions.

I would be looking at ovals. And GOG can find you a gorgeous oval. Ovals have great spread, look amazing in halos and are amazing on the hand. If you are making a trip out to GOG ask them to pull in a couple of beautiful ovals for you that way you can see everything all at once and make a choice then.

Plain shank halos are definitely the way to go!

And I KNOW you said you wanted to go with your local person for a setting but I would like to just point out that this setting (which will cost you less than the listed price if you ask for the PS discount): http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/102PP1/ Would be my choice, no matter WHAT shape center I wanted if I wanted a halo on a budget. Beverly K will customize to your stone's shape. GOG carries Beverly K.

caitnyc

Rough_Rock
I feel like I change my mind every week so I will probably fall in love with something else next week. I looked at a cushion in a mall store. I had no intention of buying there I just wanted to see diamonds. It was a gia stone in h color and the same size. It actually cost almost $1000 dollars more. So I guess this one seemed reasonable.

I've also been thinking about getting in touch with ID Jewelry to see what they can find me. I just hate walking down that street.

I actually really want a more square shape than an oval. I know it is odd I don't like princesses but I really like square.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
caitnyc|1335236659|3179080 said:
I feel like I change my mind every week so I will probably fall in love with something else next week. I looked at a cushion in a mall store. I had no intention of buying there I just wanted to see diamonds. It was a gia stone in h color and the same size. It actually cost almost $1000 dollars more. So I guess this one seemed reasonable.

I've also been thinking about getting in touch with ID Jewelry to see what they can find me. I just hate walking down that street.

I actually really want a more square shape than an oval. I know it is odd I don't like princesses but I really like square.

Not odd at all, since I feel exactly the same way. I'm NOT a princess fan. But I prefer square and rectangular shapes.

Have you considered a round in an octagonal halo?

Here is an image for the concept.

ch_SS1104_A_front.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Webdiva is getting this halo (with some custom accents to make it her own) by Beverly K for her octagonal stone:

ring_modified.jpg

She's got a beautiful modified cut corner square brilliant from GOG, under a carat:

diamond_9.jpg

And here's the concept image:

photo%205%20(2).png

I don't know if 4k for a center is in budget for you, but if it is... that asscher is one she considered for a short while for her ring (but she already had her stone, and didn't change stones, still that asscher is one in a million with that eyeclean SI and that price). Plus the setting with the airline (the gap between the center and the halo) really maximizes finger coverage with smaller stones.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Someone buy that asscher so I stop wondering if I need a Right Hand Ring!!!! ;-) hehe Seriously, I have that stone bookmarked on my phone. No really, someone buy that stone. :naughty:

Whatever you choose, Beverley K and Gabriel & Co have very affordable, beautifully made rings that they customize to your stone - and GOG carries them. That setting without customizations is about $1350 - super affordable and beautiful. Our ring incl. stone and customizations comes out to about $4250 and will look like a $10k ring.

Go make an appt with GOG and just try stuff on for fun - see what feels good on your hand. You really need to try stuff on in person, I went through the same journey as you (check out my LA jeweler review thread). I had a princess temp ring, then went asscher, then went radiant, then cushion and now Princess of Hearts to get the bling and square-ish feel. You need to see what speaks to you on your own hand.

http://www.beverleyk.com/semi-mounts.html
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/styles?category=ER

Good luck!

caitnyc

Rough_Rock
Those are all beautiful settings. However, nothing is beating to me the one I tried on by the local guy. I wish I could describe it better. My budget for the stone is under $4500. I would like to spend less. I gave been trying to stay around $3000. I hope to spend as little of my boyfriends money as possible. He just wants to make ne happy. I have mostly been looking in the .70-.90 carat range. I feel like with the halo that will look plenty big. I feel like at this point in my life I don't want something too big. I work on the upper east side of Manhattan so I see women with these huge beautiful rings every day. I just can't imagine myself wearing them.

I'm sure I will feel differently in 5-10 years but that is what anniversaries are for, right?

I have also looked at those Princess of Hearts. They are beauties and are definitely on my list.

happybridetobe

Rough_Rock
caitnyc|1335233342|3179016 said:
Hello everyone. I have been following spindle the forum for a couple of months. It has really been a great source of information.

My boyfriend and I have been looking for and engagements ring over the past few months. When this process started I thought I wanted a princess cut on a diamonds band. When I tried on a princess I realized I do not like them. They are just too harsh looking for my taste. So we started looking at rounds. I wasn't in love with those either. Finally a very nice jeweler showed me a royal asher cut. They were gorgeous, however a little beyond what we are looking to spend. The same jeweler showed me a ring that he made. It is a almost a very subtle halo. The diamonds are in the swoop of the prongs. I fell in love. He mostly carries rounds, princesses, and royal ashers. I wanted something else.

After a decency amount of looking I decided I liked square shaped radiants and cushions. The jeweler I liked said if we could find a nice stone in those shapes he would be happy to make the ring for me. I would like to use him as he is very nice and very helpful. I know someone else who had a ring made by him and they are very happy with the results. He also gave us a very reasonable price estimated.

So now I am looking for a stone. I am looking under a carat. I am 25 years old and live in NYC. I want something nice but not outrageous. I would like to spend as little as is needed to get a nice stone.

So I finally come to my question. Of course I have come across August Vintage Cushions on this site. They right now have a beautiful stone that is well priced. The only problem it is an L color. Tell me I am crazy and that it will look awful in a halo so that I can move on.

My future mother in law gifted my fiance and I with a warmer colored round center stone (it was appraised as an M in its old yellow gold setting, but I do wonder if it truly is a tad lighter). We reset the stone in platinum in a cushion shaped halo, and in my opinion, it really came alive. I was worried how it may turn out color wise, but I am very very very happy with the reset and I do think it looks splendid. Here is a link to the thread. There is video on the first post and then real life pictures on the second page of the thread. Hope this helps!:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-victor-canera-oec-split-shank-cushion-halo-ring.174402/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-victor-canera-oec-split-shank-cushion-halo-ring.174402/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results