shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m in love with this members engagement ring! Would it look ok with a cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kris30

Rough_Rock
it would be around .75 carat cushion or so. too small? Im also wondering how much a custom design of this split shank might cost me? I want to keep it around 3000 or less. Is this style good for long size 7 fingers? tia

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/better-pics-of-my-new-ering.42289/

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would look lovely with a cushion. you''d have to call around for quotes as far as knowing the price..

radiant1004.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
her radiant is .74 i think, so if you want that look with a cushion, just make sure to keep your measurements around the same size.
you should be able to getting that setting made within your budget (assuming the 3k does not include the center stone)

best of luck!

kris30

Rough_Rock
Well the 3k does include center stone but I know the member had her setting made for about $1000 so I think I can swing it. I have a request in to Knox jewelers to see if he can make it for a bit cheaper in white gold. A .75 radiant should be right around $2000 it seems? Also does anyone know how I can contact the member with this ring? tia

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 12:44:59 PM
Author: kris30
Well the 3k does include center stone but I know the member had her setting made for about $1000 so I think I can swing it. I have a request in to Knox jewelers to see if he can make it for a bit cheaper in white gold. A .75 radiant should be right around $2000 it seems? Also does anyone know how I can contact the member with this ring? tia
but hers was only semi custom. a custom piece will cost more. definitely worth a try though!

you won't be able to contact her directly but instead of making the title of your thread so generic, you could message admin (using the msg admin button above) and ask them to change the title. maybe to 'kcoursolle, i love your e-ring!'
2.gif

that will get her attention.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Is that Kcourselle''s ring? Wow! It is really beautiful and elegant! I hadn''t seen her ring before!

Kcourselle - did you do this custom in LA?
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for forwarding me this topic ps.

Kris, I''m flattered you like the style of my ring! The center stone is a .74 radiant with a nice spread and my finger size is 4.5. Belle is right about the setting, it''s semi custom--meaning they took parts they already had and soldered them together instead of creating a completely new ring. While this process was cheaper, I don''t think I was entirely happy with the end result. Parts are slightly uneven, and the various parts don''t necessarily blend that well with basket, etc. However, it was very inexpensive.

I would highly recommend Knox jewelers. They created a garnet RHR ring for me with a palladium white gold mix that was reasonably priced. You could probably keep the cost down by only having the side diamonds go about 1/2 way down the shank instead of all around. I think it would be hard to do a custom setting for 1k, but ask around for quotes and see what they say. Brian Knox is wonderful to work with.

I think this style would be lovely on a cushion! In case the custom quotes are too high, below are a few other split shanks I''ve found online that are inexpensive. None of them are quite what you are looking for and you''d need to ask the vendors if the settings could accommodate a cushion. If the custom route turns out to be too expensive, and none of these settings would work...I would put your money into your stone for now, buy a cheap temporary $150 plain WG setting, and then later on reset the stone into a custom made split shank.

http://adiamor.com/R-1060-R2772-3.htm

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=6215&page=2&show_all_pages=0&col=3&row=2&pos=6&set_shape=

This split shank almost looks like a bow-tie, you might not like it:
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=95431-1

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=94149

if your cushion is oblong, perhaps they could swap out this sapphire:
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=70067

I should be able to respond off and on for the next couple of days to this thread, but I will probably be unavailable to respond xmas eve and a couple of days afterward.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 2:32:38 PM
Author: :)
Is that Kcourselle''s ring? Wow! It is really beautiful and elegant! I hadn''t seen her ring before!

Kcourselle - did you do this custom in LA?
36.gif

Thank you! I had it semi-custom here in LA in a local B&M. The side diamonds are not high quality, but I love the overall look of the ring. It looks a lot more expensive than it actually was which is always nice
27.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a cushion would look great in this setting. Just be sure to get the type of cushion you want SQUARE or RECTANGULAR.

I like the idea of putting all your money into the stone and then getting it reset later if the custom setting costs too much.

kris30

Rough_Rock
Hi! I''m so glad you saw my post. Thank you ps for forwarding it. I really do love your ring and I think it looks perfect but I understand there are little details you may not be happy with. I did send Knox your pics and info to see what they can do. I hope that is ok? Out of the settings you posted I like this one best...

It looks similar to yours except the bands are probably a bit thicker. I''m also not sure if it could be set with a cushion or radiant diamond since it looks like a round setting? Do you think I will be able to find a decent radiant cut for around $2OOO? Could you let me know what measurements I should look for to make it appear lager ike yours does? I''m still undecided between a cushion and a radiant but I will probably go with whatever is cheaper lol. I''m also wondering if you think that ring style will look good on long fingers size 7? I know your size is much smaller but I think with that design it may take up more space on my finger which should be a good thing. thanks so much for all your help!

kris30

Rough_Rock
Oh could you also let me know the name and contact info of the store where your purchased your setting? I may end up just giving them a call to see if they could do it for me. I''m in MA but they could send me the setting and my local jeweler could set it with a diamond I buy online. Thanks again :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 8:19:29 PM
Author: kris30
Hi! I''m so glad you saw my post. Thank you ps for forwarding it. I really do love your ring and I think it looks perfect but I understand there are little details you may not be happy with. I did send Knox your pics and info to see what they can do. I hope that is ok? Out of the settings you posted I like this one best...

It looks similar to yours except the bands are probably a bit thicker. I''m also not sure if it could be set with a cushion or radiant diamond since it looks like a round setting? Do you think I will be able to find a decent radiant cut for around $2OOO? Could you let me know what measurements I should look for to make it appear lager ike yours does? I''m still undecided between a cushion and a radiant but I will probably go with whatever is cheaper lol. I''m also wondering if you think that ring style will look good on long fingers size 7? I know your size is much smaller but I think with that design it may take up more space on my finger which should be a good thing. thanks so much for all your help!

It''s fine that you forwarded my pictures to knox, that''s ok with me. Pictures are a really good way to display design information to vendors.

Fpr the setting you linked, you''d have to contact solomon brothers to see what types of stones the setting would hold, it doesn''t say. It does look like it''s made for a round though.

Finding a well-cut radiant is always a challenge, but here are the parameters I tend to use. This doesn''t guarantee that it will be a winner, but it does kick out some duds and radiants that face up too small for their carat weight. After you find a stone within these parameters, then some pictures taken by the vendor will further help.

depth 60-65
table 60-65
crown height above 10%
polish/symmetry at least VG/VG would be nice, but I''d take GD/GD if that was the only thing stopping me from the cut
girdle-thin-med, med, thin-slightly thick, avoid very thin or very thick

I would not go lower than an H or maaaaaybe an I color since radiants tend to show quite a bit of color, but you can go as low as an eye-clean SI2 on clarity with a radiant.

I would call up jim schultz (jamesallen.com) personally to help find you a radiant. He is very nice and this should help since finding a good radiant is not always easy.

As far as deciding between a radiant and a cushion...they have very different looks. A radiant often has a crushed ice look, and sometimes cushions have chunky antique facets , but modern cushion brilliants have more of the similar crushed ice look. They should be similar in price though. Both are slightly cheaper than a round brilliant. I don''t know much about cushions, so I really can''t give many suggestions there.

I think a split shank type setting should look very nice on a size 7 finger. The split shank should give more finger coverage without adding bulk. I would consider buying a tall rather than square shape, those seem to look bigger to me and slenderize the finger...but this might just be my preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results