shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m having my diamond reset into a custom halo mount, by one of Canada''s BEST!! I''m so excited!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
here you go

sideofparadehalo.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Or..some sort of scroll work as seen in this pic.
I''m wondering which one I won''t tire of...I kind of like the criss-cross styling..I just wonder if this will be easier to create . Again..trying to keep it simple for the benchman! Which side view is prettier ? If I wear a band with it later..I don''t want it to sit flush..I want the gap between the halo and band...so the gallery must allow for that too.

option two.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Diane, your ring is gorgeous..LOVE the profile! Upgradable..thanks for the pic. I don''t plan on putting any diamonds on the sides (gallery), it would be plain gold, or engraving I suppose. Would that look odd with the criss-cross..maybe the scrollwork would work better if it''s plain gold on the sides of the ring?? Hmmmm

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 3:35:04 PM
Author: beau13
Diane, your ring is gorgeous..LOVE the profile! Upgradable..thanks for the pic. I don''t plan on putting any diamonds on the sides (gallery), it would be plain gold, or engraving I suppose. Would that look odd with the criss-cross..maybe the scrollwork would work better if it''s plain gold on the sides of the ring?? Hmmmm
Thank you, Beau. I got stumped on the profile for mine, too. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me....just didn''t look right until Mark at ERD sent me a CAD with that small air space beneath the halo and it made all the difference to me. Will your designer be creating CADs for you? If so, do you think he would create two CADs just to give you a visual of both? I was partial to the scroll design until you reminded me in the above post that you did not want diamonds on the sides....then the thought of a metal criss-cross sounded really interesting, too. If it was left smooth, with no engraving, it could be really fluid and delicate....keeping it simple but elegant. Hard decision...good luck!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I love your solitaire but that will be just gorgeous too!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Looks gorgeous, I can''t wait to see it
35.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see even a sketch of the ring!! The jeweler was supposed to have a drawing for me Monday..when I called him late yesterday, he said there was nothing in his e-mail yet..it almost seemed like I was bothering him. I have the worst luck with jewelers and rings! I'm not going to call him again..if I don't hear from him by Friday, (that would be 2 weeks since I said "lets get this started"), then I may have to go to plan B !
7.gif

I found a lovely halo setting for a 7X7 cushion shape diamond, and sent an e-mail asking if my 7.7mm round diamond would fit into it..and of course..haven't heard back either..it's been days! Any other reputable vendors sell a similar setting , that I can have in my hands in the next couple weeks??

beau13

Ideal_Rock
The jeweler called today. Told me that Myerson''s sent a quote of $3300 for the ring to be made (what happened to the $1400 they stated initially?..is what I said!). I think I may try to find a halo mount that doesn''t have to be made now. If anyone has any ideas, please share! Thanks

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
You could look at the Tacori halo settings. They are beautiful, but will cost you more than the estimates you have received for custom work.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Why so much for just a setting? This is the e-mail I received today.

"Myerson''s has just supplied us with an email quote
of $3,300.00 which is an 18Karat gold mount with 16 x 0.015 ct diamonds,
bead set around the circumference of your main stone and 4 x 0.03 ct
diamonds on each side. All edges have a mill grain finish, an actual
artist sketch is on the way. Considering the quote is quite a bit higher
than our original estimate I will do my very best to sharpen my pencil for
you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The diamonds seem awfully small..for a price of $3300? That translates to $ 2625 (US $) by the way! Surely there must be someone out there who can offer a delicate looking halo (only diamond are around the mains stone, and 4 on each side of the shank), for less that this?? "Sharpen my pencil" he said?? The quote came in at more than double what he told me about 9 days ago. Would it make a big difference to switch to 14k instead of 18k? Can I go with smaller diamonds..or are those pretty small as it is???

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2009 4:13:25 PM
Why so much for just a setting? This is the e-mail I received today.

''Myerson''s has just supplied us with an email quote
of $3,300.00 which is an 18Karat gold mount with 16 x 0.015 ct diamonds,
bead set around the circumference of your main stone and 4 x 0.03 ct
diamonds on each side. All edges have a mill grain finish, an actual
artist sketch is on the way. Considering the quote is quite a bit higher
than our original estimate I will do my very best to sharpen my pencil for
you.''
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The diamonds seem awfully small..for a price of $3300? That translates to $ 2625 (US $) by the way! Surely there must be someone out there who can offer a delicate looking halo (only diamond are around the mains stone, and 4 on each side of the shank), for less that this?? ''Sharpen my pencil'' he said?? The quote came in at more than double what he told me about 9 days ago. Would it make a big difference to switch to 14k instead of 18k? Can I go with smaller diamonds..or are those pretty small as it is???

beau, if Myerson''s is custom casting a mounting to fit your stone exactly, I don''t think that''s high because you''re also getting a quarter of a carat of diamonds, and I''m going to assume they''re "our" quality diamonds. Did they tell you what color and clarity they''re using?

The price difference between 18K and 14K won''t be that much, I don''t think. Certainly not enough to save you a significant amount of money. $2,625.- in the U.S. would be a good deal for custom work with diamonds.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
that does sound high to me...is that USDs or CAD?
ETA: I just got a quote from a PS vendor (great one) that was for a PLATINUM custom setting - Including 2 x .5 side stones for LESS than you're getting quoted for White Gold and melee....just sayin'
15.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto gemgirl, that doesn't sound exorbitantly high, especially if they're one of the "best" in Canada
shrug1.gif
But I'm not well versed in gold/white gold, only plat.

It is odd that it would increase so much from his earlier quote. .015s are already quite small. The stones in my wedding band are 0.019 each, for reference:

museysweddingband007.jpg

That's not to say you can't go smaller, you certainly can, it all depends on the look you're going for.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 4:50:50 PM
Author: mela lu
ETA: I just got a quote from a PS vendor (great one) that was for a PLATINUM custom setting - Including 2 x .5 side stones for LESS than you''re getting quoted for White Gold and melee....just sayin''
15.gif
Good to hear from you Melalu. It''s almost hysterical the "luck" I''ve had..trying to set this diamond. (for what..a year and a half now??). Can you send me the info (through FB) of this jeweler you dealt with, if you don''t mind. Maybe he''ll take pity on me, and create me a masterpiece..I''d be GREAT advertising for him! lol
If EVER I get this darn diamond reset ... I will shout from the rooftops, and tell EVERYONE who made my ring!! For now..the ring sits in a box (seriously considering selling it at this point), and I may just wear my 5 stone band on it''s own!!
emsad.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 4:59:14 PM
Author: musey
Ditto gemgirl, that doesn''t sound exorbitantly high, especially if they''re one of the ''best'' in Canada
shrug1.gif
It sounds high, when I was originally told $1400..how could they more than double the price suddenly? They knew what I wanted from day 1. Guess I should of got it down in writing! For $3300, I could probably trade in my diamond for a larger one, could I not ??

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 5:00:21 PM

ETA: I just got a quote from a PS vendor (great one) that was for a PLATINUM custom setting - Including 2 x .5 side stones for LESS than you're getting quoted for White Gold and melee....just sayin'
15.gif
Good to hear from you Melalu. It's almost hysterical the 'luck' I've had..trying to set this diamond. (for what..a year and a half now??). Can you send me the info (through FB) of this jeweler you dealt with, if you don't mind. Maybe he'll take pity on me, and create me a masterpiece..I'd be GREAT advertising for him! lol
If EVER I get this darn diamond reset ... I will shout from the rooftops, and tell EVERYONE who made my ring!! For now..the ring sits in a box (seriously considering selling it at this point), and I may just wear my 5 stone band on it's own!!
emsad.gif
Heya. I'll give you my jeweler's info. They are not cheap, but they are flawless. I still love your solitaire though...you're still wearing it in the meantime, right? No sense keeping that beeeeeeeeeeautiful RB hidden away
11.gif
I admit, you haven't had the easiest time...have you tried getting a 'gently enjoyed' mounting, a la Signed Peices, or something similar? Just wondering... Custom will always be pricey. IMO.
Even my custom peice I'm holding off on for now since we have so many baby expenses coming up
17.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to the info MelaLu. Two jewelers I spoke with flat out said to me "I won''t set a diamond your size in a mass produced setting" (not sure why)..they really emphasize that it should be a custom piece for my diamond (again..not sure why, I think they just see $$ signs in their eyes). There''s no money to be made simply setting a diamond into a setting that I provide them with right? I love your halo..it looks very well made. Is this the jeweler that you will be telling me about? I''m going to Toronto next weekend, and if I knew where to find a few stores close together (the diamond exchange I think??), I could look for mounts there.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Beverly K halos? Pearlman''s has one that is less than $1K if I remember, and it''s a very pretty one. I suspect you have probably scoured the net at this point, but I figured I''d toss that out there anyway.

If you could find a mass produced setting you like, I''d say there''s no reason not to use one.

I''d be irritated with a quote more than doubling like that, too. Yikes!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
1400, is extremely reasonable!
and that is gorgeous!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 1:56:26 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Have you looked at Beverly K halos? Pearlman''s has one that is less than $1K if I remember, and it''s a very pretty one. I suspect you have probably scoured the net at this point, but I figured I''d toss that out there anyway.

If you could find a mass produced setting you like, I''d say there''s no reason not to use one.

I''d be irritated with a quote more than doubling like that, too. Yikes!
is this the one?

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/116PP1/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 7:02:58 PM

Date: 1/23/2009 5:00:21 PM

ETA: I just got a quote from a PS vendor (great one) that was for a PLATINUM custom setting - Including 2 x .5 side stones for LESS than you''re getting quoted for White Gold and melee....just sayin''
15.gif
Good to hear from you Melalu. It''s almost hysterical the ''luck'' I''ve had..trying to set this diamond. (for what..a year and a half now??). Can you send me the info (through FB) of this jeweler you dealt with, if you don''t mind. Maybe he''ll take pity on me, and create me a masterpiece..I''d be GREAT advertising for him! lol
If EVER I get this darn diamond reset ... I will shout from the rooftops, and tell EVERYONE who made my ring!! For now..the ring sits in a box (seriously considering selling it at this point), and I may just wear my 5 stone band on it''s own!!
emsad.gif
Heya. I''ll give you my jeweler''s info. They are not cheap, but they are flawless. I still love your solitaire though...you''re still wearing it in the meantime, right? No sense keeping that beeeeeeeeeeautiful RB hidden away
11.gif
I admit, you haven''t had the easiest time...have you tried getting a ''gently enjoyed'' mounting, a la Signed Peices, or something similar? Just wondering... Custom will always be pricey. IMO.
Even my custom peice I''m holding off on for now since we have so many baby expenses coming up
17.gif
Mela is this the jeweler you told me about in the Preggo thread a little while ago, starts with a B? Can''t recall the name, I am not being "cloak and dagger"... I may need a flawless jeweler soon for something I am planning too!
31.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 5:03:06 PM
Date: 1/23/2009 4:59:14 PM

Author: musey

Ditto gemgirl, that doesn''t sound exorbitantly high, especially if they''re one of the ''best'' in Canada
shrug1.gif
It sounds high, when I was originally told $1400..how could they more than double the price suddenly? They knew what I wanted from day 1. Guess I should of got it down in writing! For $3300, I could probably trade in my diamond for a larger one, could I not ??
That''s why I said "It is odd that it would increase so much from his earlier quote." You''re welcome for the visual
3.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
A local jeweler I had spoke with last week, called me today to come by and take a look at a ring he just had made for a customer. I'm glad I went in to see it! It had pretty much everything I wanted in a ring. VERY heavy, solid, well made piece!
It reminded me of a Simon G halo, (that I found on the website, but the site won't allow me to save the photo). It was made to fit her 1.25 carat stone, so a little smaller..but still gave me a great idea of how it would look on my hand! His quote was approx. $1900..a little more than I wanted to spend, but I think in the end it would be a beautiful "showy" piece!! (Think "Housewives of OC"). He will get back to me today with a guaranteed price, and if I accept, I will be dropping off my diamond to be shipped out this Thursday! He told me to give it 3-4 weeks. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm awaiting one more quote from the jeweler who recently swapped out the head of my e-ring, and did a great job! I'll see what he is offering, and at what cost! At least now..I have a couple choices! YEAH!! If the ring ends up being more than $1900..I think I may just list my 5 stone band for sale..I know I could get more than I paid for it. I won't be wearing it with the new halo ring!!
31.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lets hope this new guy doesnt double his estimate!

Whats the stats on your 5 stone band? I may be looking into getting one. Any links to pictures?

beau13

Ideal_Rock

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 4:20:34 PM

Date: 1/27/2009 3:09:31 PM
Author: tyty333

Whats the stats on your 5 stone band? I may be looking into getting one. Any links to pictures?
I don''t think the estimate will double. It will be made by Precious Platinum. (but will be 18k white gold)
The link to pics/stats on my 5 stone ring are here tyty...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-most-beautiful-5-stone-band-ive-ever-seen.94883/
Beau, I wanted to wish you luck with your setting dramas!!!! They just get more unbelievable hey????

I always take things like that to mean that you avoided a bad job or something by seeing the red flags very early on!!!! Although in your case its been red flags for an awfully long time!!!! (You poor thing).

Hopefully now it will all work out and you will look back and be glad that everything took you to this place aqnd this design.

Lastly I wanted to say that with your pretty looks......who needs diamonds.....you are way enough WOW factor girl!!!!!
9.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 5:42:49 PM
Author: Sharon101

Date: 1/27/2009 4:20:34 PM

Date: 1/27/2009 3:09:31 PM

I don't think the estimate will double. It will be made by Precious Platinum. (but will be 18k white gold)
The link to pics/stats on my 5 stone ring are here tyty...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-most-beautiful-5-stone-band-ive-ever-seen.94883/
Beau, I wanted to wish you luck with your setting dramas!!!! They just get more unbelievable hey????

I always take things like that to mean that you avoided a bad job or something by seeing the red flags very early on!!!! Although in your case its been red flags for an awfully long time!!!! (You poor thing).

Hopefully now it will all work out and you will look back and be glad that everything took you to this place aqnd this design.

Lastly I wanted to say that with your pretty looks......who needs diamonds.....you are way enough WOW factor girl!!!!!
9.gif
Aww..thanks Sharon, that was the sweetest compliment (especially coming from a female..it means more!). My husband must have been talking to you..that's usually his line! lol Thanks for the well wishes with regards to the ring setting too!!

I can't believe how difficult it's been to have my diamond set into something to be proud of!! I might be heading in the right direction finally. Two quotes came in today at $1800 and about $1860..so now I guess it boils down to which designer's work I like better. I will likely go with the ring I saw first hand today..that way I KNOW what I'm actually getting (the weight and feel of it, and the exquisite, hand engraving that is done by one of the top 3 in Canada)! I have an idea of what the finished product will look like. The time frame for both is 3-4 weeks. So..maybe next month at this time..I'll be stopping traffic..with my new blinged out hand of course!!
28.gif
I'll be sure to post pics once it's finally attached (never to be removed) from my finger!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I want dibs on the 5 stoner! That ring is georgous! I''ll give you $401 for it
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 6:33:57 PM
Ok, I want dibs on the 5 stoner! That ring is georgous! I''ll give you $401 for it
2.gif
I just had it re-rhodiumed..it''s brand new looking again. I''ll be listing it tomorrow I think. Hubby gave me the go ahead for the new setting..but I tried to sweeten the pricetage by saying I''d sell the 5 stone. He said I didn''t have to..but I know it will go unworn if I keep it.

modernsparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 2:12:39 PM
Author:beau13
The jeweler contacted me today, and told me that Myerson''s (one of Canada''s best, and longest running jewelry manufacturer, who creates custom masterpieces), will do a sketch and wax from the pics I provided them. I LOVE the Jack Kelege ring, with the cushion halo, and round diamond. I''m not sure who this ring belongs to, but I added the pic for reference (hope she doesn''t mind). They said they would do it in 18 k white gold, with diamonds the same quality (color/clarity) as my diamond..for $1400 ! I think that is VERY reasonable!! How could I say no ? (still haven''t consulted hubby, but I''m sure he''ll say ''get whatever makes you happy''). Only one side of the shank will have diamonds, just the top, not three sided, as this one is. I would like to have some pics of how high I want the profile to be, and what I want the gallery to look like..so I''d love for anyone who has a halo ring, to PLEASE post pics of it''s profile, and even underside (I want it open under the diamond for easy cleaning). Thanks ladies..this is super exciting, although I will be apprehensive about sending my diamond away..for a few weeks!

Hi beau,
Hope you are having more luck with other vendors in your search for the right setting. This is actually my ring (used to be ringplease but my computer wouldn''t let me login anymore so I am now modernsparker). Let me know if you want some more shots!

Also, I am totally not surpised at the quotes you are getting. Hand made pieces like Kelege are very high qualty and you definitely pay in $$ for it!!! But, you will know it will last forever for you and future generations.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results