shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m FLY-ing, are you????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
So, Stonehunter''s comment that other stay at home moms seem to be better at de-cluttering, cleaning, cooking, etc. touched a special place in my heart.

And you can be a working woman, working mom, stay at home mom, retired woman, or stay at home dad, working man, working dad, you get picture here (it doesn''t matter) to benefit from her "ways".

Here''s her homepage:

http://www.flylady.net

Here''s how to start:

http://www.flylady.net/pages/flyinglessons.asp

It took me a few months, but I realized it was working when I threw 3 major parties in 2 months and didn''t have to clean my house for them, because it was already clean!

Then I noticed that it was working when my neighbors were knocking on my doors to see our remodel & I could take them everywhere because my whole house, closets and all are tidy.

Then I knew I would FLY forever when my stepmom said to me "wow, you do a really good job keeping your house beautiful with a baby at home, I don''t know how you do it".

I''ve never spent LESS time cleaning my house than I do with Flylady.

I''ve never relaxed my standards as much (I used to be a perfectionist---NO MORE BABY!) & now my place is cleaner.

I have more time for relaxation.

I am more patient.

She''s my savior, FLYing is my religion now..LOL....Ok, I say that tongue in cheek, but I can''t get through a day without her & thought I''d share.

She made my life easier, so hopefully I can pay it forward by turning even one person on to her.

Much Love....

Jeannine

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh man.... about 5 years ago I did that and still have nightmares about "are your shoes on?" "Is your sink shiny?" lol I couldn''t keep up with the emails, I was drowning an am much happier with my cluttered life lol

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I think the idea of Flylady is great. I just can''t keep up right now and can''t get to the effortless habit part of it all.

I enjoyed this:

Saying Yes to Mess

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
divergrrl, I haven''t checked out the site in depth but I was absolutely floored by the first ''babystep'' which is to clean your sink! Every time my mother comes to visit, she cleans my kitchen sink. The sink is made of some kind of composite material (not ceramic) that stains easily. She gets it looking spanking new with bleach. Every time I clean the sink with bleach my husband jokes ''was your mother here''? So now I''m thinking, gee, my mother''s house was (and still is) always clean and neat even though she always worked full-time when I was younger. And her sink is always spotless. hmmmmm, maybe there''s something to this!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 1:48:08 PM
Author: Maria D
divergrrl, I haven''t checked out the site in depth but I was absolutely floored by the first ''babystep'' which is to clean your sink! Every time my mother comes to visit, she cleans my kitchen sink. The sink is made of some kind of composite material (not ceramic) that stains easily. She gets it looking spanking new with bleach. Every time I clean the sink with bleach my husband jokes ''was your mother here''? So now I''m thinking, gee, my mother''s house was (and still is) always clean and neat even though she always worked full-time when I was younger. And her sink is always spotless. hmmmmm, maybe there''s something to this!
haha I have to admit I do like a clean sink - clean all the way around back and I''ll get out the toothbrush to get the edges if I need to..... even though my time might be better spent dealing with the 4 baskets of laundry in the livingroom ;-)

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve been known to get carried away with a toothbrush too! Yep, let''s clean every nook and crannie that no one''s ever gonna see while the rest of the house is trashed. As for better spent time, GETTING OFF THIS COMPUTER once in awhile might help me, LOL. If only my house were as organized as my laptop. I know where everything is on this baby! And the delete key -- if only I could use that on all the crap laying around here.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Divergrrl, thanks for sharing this link! I am not sure whether it will work for me, and it seems kind of confusing to get going. But I started a few of the things already (like having a nightime routine) and I am getting ready to clean my kitchen sink! Thanks for sharing. It means a lot to hear a real person''s endorsement. I try hard to keep my place clean, but I am naturally messy so it''s like fighting nature every single day!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read that website (a friend or two have sent it my way), and have found the concepts helpful, even though I don''t necessarily adhere to them on a daily basis.

It definitely is a good guideline to help one keep up with housework and to not become overwhelmed. I try to do a few necessary things every day so I don''t spend a whole weekend cleaning once a month, but I do have several of my own methods that don''t exactly follow flylady''s that are good for my particular household, just because I have a small house and DH helps me with a lot of chores.

Thanks for posting that site again, though! It''s always a good reminder, especially this time of year when we can all feel overwhelmed!
35.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting this! I tried using this before, but got out of it... I like her rules/tips/guidelines though... nice refresher to start off the new year!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2006 7:04:00 PM
Author:divergrrl
So, Stonehunter''s comment that other stay at home moms seem to be better at de-cluttering, cleaning, cooking, etc. touched a special place in my heart.

I''ve never relaxed my standards as much (I used to be a perfectionist---NO MORE BABY!) & now my place is cleaner.

Much Love....

Jeannine
OK I have done Flylady before but never made it to the highlighted level of enlightenment!

I really do think some people have skills or maybe were taught things that make housekeeping easier. Flylady does try to teach you those things...I''m just a slow learner.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2006 1:18:00 PM
Author: gailrmv
Divergrrl, thanks for sharing this link! I am not sure whether it will work for me, and it seems kind of confusing to get going. But I started a few of the things already (like having a nightime routine) and I am getting ready to clean my kitchen sink! Thanks for sharing. It means a lot to hear a real person''s endorsement. I try hard to keep my place clean, but I am naturally messy so it''s like fighting nature every single day!
Yeah that''s what I''m saying. Plus I felt like the emails were just another kind of clutter. I wasn''t even on the computer much during the day so they didn''t pop up and alert me like they were intended. So each time I checked my email I had days of email clutter to deal with. LOL

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify-- I do think she has alot of helpful ideas. I think she''s trying to teach me stuff others learned a long time ago.

And some people think my house is organized and clean. I don''t though ''cause it''s such a struggle.

So if you''re overwhelmed do give FLYlady a try!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 10:46:01 AM
Author: Stone Hunter

OK I have done Flylady before but never made it to the highlighted level of enlightenment!

I really do think some people have skills or maybe were taught things that make housekeeping easier. Flylady does try to teach you those things...I''m just a slow learner.
I know what it takes to have a clean house. Effort. I just hate doing it. All the emails in the world clogging my mail won''t light a fire where one is not lit lol

I am by nature cluttery - but I used to (before kids) make an effort at least once a week where the house was *spotless* from top to bottom, ready for better homes and gardens to come take pictures. I really got off on that. The entire thing filled with little vignettes... HATED if anyone rang my doorbell between perfections. Then I had kids and the first mostly kept things okay but once the boys hit I was losing and had to reevaluate. Now I don''t GAS if the dust gathers or things are cluttering and staying cluttery or if there are dishes in the sink. The time I used to have to devote to this is now given to the kids but *I* still require the same amount of down-time - maybe more! lol So now I let people in when the house is less than perfect and you know, people see more comfortable in it anyway. I did a poll on a message board I''ve posted on for about 6 years a few years ago and asked people if they''d rather be in a filthy messy house or a totally perfect and spotless house and while no one wanted to be in a filthy house - the general agreement was that a little clutter and mess made people feel more comfortable and relaxed - like it was okay to put their coat or purse down, that this was a house you could put your feet up in. So now I just run with that LOL I don''t like dirty toilets and sinks and I do wipe down the counters (picture me lifting the cluttr and cleaning under it - replacing the clutter) but dusting baseboards and polishing all the wood more than once a year? Nah.... except the dining table but that''s just because we use it constantly and the heathens will destroy it if it isn''t protected lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results