shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m engaged -- it''s official!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
As much as I wanted to, I couldn't hold on to the incredible Whiteflash ring I bought any longer. As a few people may remember from my original post/poll, I was debating whether to go ahead and pop the question, or wait until my birthday (which was supposed to be a surprise for ME) and ask then. I elected to go ahead and pop the question.

We are a fairly private couple, so I kept it simple. I know she wouldn't have liked a very public proposal.

Yesterday was the three year anniversary of the day we met. Obviously, that's not really that big of a deal...but we agreed to go down the street to a local restaurant for dinner just for fun. Not a big deal. Meanwhile, I secretly made reservations in downtown Washington, DC at the restaurant where we had our first date. Yesterday, I sent a dozen roses to her in her office along with a note inviting her to dinner at eight. I suggested a walk around the monuments at night afterwards. She loved it! It's so funny that she got so excited over a few little flowers considering what was to come. Hahaha.

Anyway, I picked her up and we went to dinner (which was excellent). I had a moment of panic when I couldn't figure out where to hide the ring. It's been very warm here in DC, so I couldn't put the box in a jacket. And if I just put it in my pants it was way too obvious. So, I took it out of the box and kept it loose in my front pocket. Needless to say, I was compulsively checking on it all night long!

Just in case she thought something was up, I threw her off course a bit during dinner. She mentioned a friend had told her that her boyfriend had promised to get engaged before Christmas...so I groaned and complained he was making me look bad. She said she didn't care, that she could wait, that she understood money was tight because of my grad school (all true, but she didn't realize I'd been saving for months plus got a bonus at work with which I bought the ring). I just nodded my head and tried to look pathetic. It was great!

After dinner, I drove over to the Jefferson Memorial. In my opinion, the best site in DC. I mentioned that if she was tired, we didn't have to go (more subterfuge). And she bit on that one, demanding that we go! Playing right in to my hands.

There is awesome stretch of path right next to the memorial, where you can see all three major DC sites (Jefferson, Lincoln and Washington monuments). The weather was perfect, too...70 degrees. I couldn't have planned it better.

I made a show of snapping some pics of her, and she commented that the night was perfect. That was my cue...I told her that I had a little present for her, nothing big. But she had to close her eyes. She closed them, and I got out my ring and got down on one knee. And then...SHE PEEKED! She saw I was on one knee and freaked out! She started crying and I didn't even have chance to say anything. She just kept saying "oh my god." Finally, I was like "is that a yes???" And she said "of course!"

I don't know if I noticed this beforehand or if it was just dumb luck, but we were right next to one of the high-intensity lights that they use to light up the monument. The ring was practically exploding with fire and brilliance. I was floored, and so was she.

So I put the ring on her finger, and I told her all about how I had searched for it and bought it and picked out a setting. We were both so happy. She actually managed to hold off on her urge to call her parents (who I had contacted the night before, BTW) and we finished our walk...taking lots of pictures. I'll see if I can post them.

So that's the story. Thanks for all the advice from everyone here at Pricescope. I can't believe it, but one of the first thoughts in my head was "I can't wait to post this".

-Arlington

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
congratulations! its so wonderful to read such a thoughtful engagement story.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
WAY TO GO, Arlington!

Awesome story!

(We girls just ruin everything, don't we?
wink2.gif
)

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
What a great proposal, Arlington. The weather last evening in DC was perfect for your stroll. Can't wait to see pictures.
appl.gif

Diamondlil

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/4/2003 1:45:27 PM aljdewey wrote:

WAY TO GO, Arlington!

Awesome story!

(We girls just ruin everything, don't we?
wink2.gif
)
----------------

Yes, but it was for the best...she didn't have to hear my cheesy speech. Hehehe.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations. It was a great little story. Wishing you all the best.

rodent.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Arlington & Best Wishes to your fiancee.

I am traveling to DC this week & drive right by on 14th Street. Your story will warm my heart & I promise to give you a congratulatory honk as I cruise by *the* best monument on the Mall.

Also, the pressure is really on the "friend" to get a diamond as nice as yours. Whisper PS in his ear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results