shape
carat
color
clarity

i'm engaged! - GOG asscher in Canera setting with sidestones

cardamoms

Rough_Rock
My fellow popped the question last weekend, and I want to share my ring because I think of it as the ring that pricescope built. I have lots of pictures to share, but before I get to that, I thought I would share the story of how the ring came to be in case it helps other people like me who come to this site completely new to the fine jewelry game.

When my BF and I started talking about getting engaged, I knew that I wanted input into the ring. But after visiting a few jewelers, he and I both felt so ignorant. We didn't know anything about diamonds, settings, or pricing. I learned so much from all the good folks here, from learning about trusted vendors, to being exposed to many different kinds of settings, to getting a sense about fair pricing. Because of all the information and friendly people here, my guy and I did the whole ring sight unseen without ever meeting any of the vendors face-to-face or laying our eyes on the diamond until it was set. And we couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Visiting real life jewelers helped me realize that I wanted an asscher with sidestones. I think trying different kinds of rings on in real life is important. When this process began, I thought I wanted a round diamond in a halo with lots of intricate carving. But when I tried those kinds of rings on, they just didn't feel right. I ended up realizing that I preferred sleek, unadorned settings, and squarish stones. I fell in love with an asscher on the GOG website through a video I found on eBay. After a few chats with the good people there (and with all the good experiences people here have had with GOG), my BF and I worked up the confidence to purchase the diamond without seeing it in real life. The stats are below.

Shape: Asscher
Weight: 1.710 carats
Measurements: 6.67mm long x 6.68mm wide x 4.70mm in depth
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Total depth: 71.00%
Table percentage: 51.40%
U.V. florescence: Faint
Color: I
Clarity: VS1

Although my BF and I knew the general kind of setting we wanted, we purchased the diamond before we had chosen a vendor to set the ring, so GOG held on to the diamond for us until we had that figured out. I looked at lots of photos here on PS to get inspiration. I visited some local jewelers to discuss settings, but the quality and price available either for existing settings or custom work paled in comparison to what we could get through many of the vendors favored on PS. After seeing a few of Victor Canera's settings on PS, my BF and I decided to go with him. He was great on the phone, open to suggestions, but also able to step in and let me know when I was requesting something that he thought might be sub-optimal. He got the ring done for us very quickly (we had a tight deadline before my BF had to fly off to another country for work) and communicated with us really well all along the way. I found this communication to be particularly helpful when it came to picking out sidestones - I think I have over 20 emails from Victor from that decision alone. The good communication was important to me because I wanted to not only love the final ring, but also enjoy the process of having it made. Victor took pictures for us along the way of his making the ring. I think my BF really enjoyed seeing that process, and I like knowing that the ring on my finger was made specifically for my BF and me.

One last note before I get to the photos, even though I had made all the decisions regarding the ring, seeing it in real life for the first time when my BF proposed was still a complete surprise. So, if you're a gal like me who wants some say about her ring but is worried that you won't have that 'wow' factor when the proposal comes, don't worry. The ring dazzled me. It was so much more than I could have ever imagined. Which, I guess, is only appropriate because being engaged is much more than I could have ever imagined as well.

Without further ado, here is a glamour shot sent by Victor. More photos will follow.

MariasRing.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: i'm engaged! - GOG asscher in Canera setting with sidest

Gorgeous, classy ring -- can't wait til you post hand shots! And Congratulations to you both!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stunning :love: Victor did any absolute amazing job on your ring. Looking forward to more photos!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is gorgeous! The proportions are perfect! Can't wait to see handshots!

cardamoms

Rough_Rock

Here are two more photos. Hand shots will be coming soon - the sun disappeared before I could grab any.

glamour sparkle.jpg

glamour angle.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love it and I can't wait to see more pics! Congratulations, by the way!

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock

Holy moly! That's one gorgeous asscher ring. It's such a classically beautiful design, too. Congratulations on your engagement :)

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock

beautiful!! haven't gotten my hands on an asscher yet, but they certainly are lovely to look at- a girl can dream right? :halo:

love the setting too! perfect claw prongs :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just gorgeous! So classy!

Congratulations :)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

amazing...very classic but unique at the same time

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

That ring is a masterpiece!!! It is so classy and elegant. Congratulations!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful, classy ring. You are so right when you say you have to try them on to see what you really like on your hand. So many beautiful rings look terrible on my hand, but beautiful on my friends. Enjoy that sparkler for many happy years!!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's amazing! I agree that you never know what you'll like until you try engagement rings on. three stone asschers are probably my favorite kind of ring - i can't wait to see it on your hand!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm in love!!! It's stunning.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

beautiful!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock

So beautiful! It's fun seeing something that's a little farther outside Victor's usual style that's still superb- that asscher is yummy! Congratulations :bigsmile:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

It's stunning! Congratulations on your engagement and the beautiful ring!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

What a gorgeous, classic ring! Congratulations and wear it in good health! :appl:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring!!!! Best wishes on your engagement!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Victor outdoes himself once again. That man makes a damn good lookin' ring.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

texaskj said:
Victor outdoes himself once again. That man makes a damn good lookin' ring.

Ditto this! Everything I've seen on here from him is just stunning :love:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The side stones add the perfect pizazz to a beautiful asscher! Congrats!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock

Stunning ring. Love those step cuts! :love:

asymons412

Shiny_Rock

wowza! :love:

cardamoms

Rough_Rock

Thanks all for the congratulations. :)

I'm back with some hand shots. I'm just now appreciating how difficult it is to get decent photos of such small and detailed items.

hand shot.jpg

side angle.jpg

ring 2.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful, congrats!

renogirl

Shiny_Rock

Your ring is so beautiful! Victor did a fabulous job, your center stone is stunning, and it looks perfect on you!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What an elegant design :love: and that is a seriously gorgeous stone!

BIG thritto to trying stuff on - and how it really can change your mind! I had solitaire envy at one point.. until I tried some on, and yeah, they don't look right on me at *all*!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous, gorgeous ring! It looks wonderful on you. Victor did a beautiful job!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just superb - I love your sidestones in relation to the asscher - outstanding!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results