shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm coming clean...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because I need the thoughts of my fellow diamond maniacs to help me make a decision!

I am thinking of selling my 1.67ct J VS1. On a whim, about a month ago I contacted some PS vendors to see what I could get for it and was stunned to discover that with diamond prices going up up up, a number of them were willing to buy it from me for a little more than we paid 16 months ago.

And this unfortunately got my wheels turning. We were in a slightly different financial situation when we made the decision to upgrade to this diamond 16 months ago, and recently I have been feeling guilty about so much money tied up in what is essentially luxury and hedomism ;)) I'm all good with a little spoiling oneself, but this felt a bit excessive. It is no chump change to us. Although to ponied up the money over a three year period, receiving it back in a lump sum would be pretty sweet. We will have two kids in daycare in just 7 short months (time flies by, our youngest is already 2 months old)... well I will not bore you with details but the *responsible* side of me is saying we should sell the ring and free up some equity for upcoming expenses. We would never sell for a loss. But to break even? It is utterly and completely tempting.

But geez I don't know how to make the decision!! I keep hoping for a lighting bolt of clarity, but it does not come. Help!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
If the money would be better spent elsewhere, I would do sell it. That being said, I do mean 'better spent' ie. I wouldn't sell it just to sell it, or to make life just a little bit more comfortable (like funding my morning coffee, etc.). I'd sell it if I had a place for this money to go--day care expenses, college fund, pay off a home loan, something else for you, etc. Sometimes, when I have cash to burn, I do just that: burn it. Usually I don't, but I wouldn't want to see you sell this gorgeous e-ring just to 'burn' the cash. If I had a 'good' place for this money to go, I'd absolutely sell it. I'm not trying to make the implication that you would do that Dreamer (I know you are very responsible from your posts!!), just saying its something to think about.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't do it! Your ring is too lovely to let it go!

If you did sell it, what would you replace it with or just go without? With rising diamond prices, it would be hard to get the size and quality you were looking for in the near future! Sometimes, logic has to go out the window w/ diamond jewelry purchases. You also have to think of it as a family heirloom that you will eventually pass on to the next generation.

Just my 2 cents...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1313960510|2995902 said:
I am thinking of selling my 1.67ct J VS1. On a whim, about a month ago I contacted some PS vendors to see what I could get for it and was stunned to discover that with diamond prices going up up up, a number of them were willing to buy it from me for a little more than we paid 16 months ago.

Really? That's awesome! So you would make money?! I would totally do it!

Man, if I could sell my 1.8 for MORE than I paid, I totally would. What would you wear though for an e-ring? I do think you'll really miss it. And with prices being so crazy, unfortunately you might never be able to buy a comparable stone again. Would you be okay with that?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We would only "make" about $500. Still, a pretty good return considering.

At this point we will likely split the proceeds and buy this: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8494/. The stone used to belong to Aelionarpa: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/van-craeynest-810-gog-avc.150538/. The remaining we would use to pay off debt! Is that a good use Indy? ;))

Yes, I think I would miss it. But I would love an AVC. And I would love to be debt free. 8) Or maybe I would regret it forever ;(

I am banking that diamond preces will fall eventually. I had no plans for my ring to be an heirloom. My two sons cn buy their own rings one day :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1313961624|2995923 said:
And with prices being so crazy, unfortunately you might never be able to buy a comparable stone again. Would you be okay with that?

I don't know, people are notoriously bad at predicting future emotions.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1313961142|2995913 said:
If the money would be better spent elsewhere, I would do sell it. That being said, I do mean 'better spent' ie. I wouldn't sell it just to sell it, or to make life just a little bit more comfortable (like funding my morning coffee, etc.). I'd sell it if I had a place for this money to go--day care expenses, college fund, pay off a home loan, something else for you, etc. Sometimes, when I have cash to burn, I do just that: burn it. Usually I don't, but I wouldn't want to see you sell this gorgeous e-ring just to 'burn' the cash. If I had a 'good' place for this money to go, I'd absolutely sell it. I'm not trying to make the implication that you would do that Dreamer (I know you are very responsible from your posts!!), just saying its something to think about.

I agree with Indylady...dont sell it and waste the money. If you have something definite that it would go to and its important
than I would sell mine.

That AVC is nothing to sneeze at either. It would make a lovely ring and...if you miss the size you can work your way up again.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, AVCs are so gorgeous! :appl: Even though it'd be smaller, I bet the amazing light performance and chunky facets would make up for it. What about a setting though?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1313963254|2995943 said:
Ohh, AVCs are so gorgeous! :appl: Even though it'd be smaller, I bet the amazing light performance and chunky facets would make up for it. What about a setting though?

We are debating a temp solitaire or just going for the three stone look I love.

116JVS2.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm, interesting situation. On the one hand, the pleasure we derive from diamonds, while very real, is an intangible. On the other hand, the relief that comes with not having to worry about money? That's very tangible.

I don't think the big deal part of this is the $500 you'll make: it's being debt-free, and not feeling any guilt when you look down at your hand (spurious or not, if you're feeling it, you're feeling it). And with the AVC, it's not like you'll be lacking in beauty to admire.

Also, given some of what I remember your saying about dream sizes and every-day diamond size and comfort levels ... if the question's even arisen, frankly, knowing how much you generally love diamonds, I think it says it all in terms of what you thought you wanted vs. what you really want. I say, sell.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would sell it if I were in the same situation. You said that on the how big is big thread that 0.80 to 1.2 carat was large to you. You now have a chance to pay off some debt, and still wear a big diamond at 1.17 carats. It sounds like a win-win to me!

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
The 3 stone configuration is spectacular. I don't know that I've seen an AVC in 3 stone yet. Anyway, if I was able to sell the round and get the 3 stone, I'd do it in a heartbeat if it made the financial sense you described above.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would listen to what your gut tells you to do. If you buy the diamond from GOG (I see it's on hold) you'll still have a lovely diamond to wear and how wonderful to be able to pay off some bills. Good luck!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I think I would sell, even though I LOVE your current ring. It's a fairly rare opportunity. I think the AVC comes with an upgrade policy? Most likely prices will go back down, which means that a few years down the line you could get back up to your current size, giving you the opportunity to use the money when you need it AND having saved some money overall.

As others say, if you need it, if you have a definite, necessary use for it (and it sounds like you do) I would free up that money. And that AVC is one fabulous stone!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is tough. If you NEED the money and it would be hard to pay off the debt without doing this, I say do it. I know you'll miss this stone, but the idea of a 3stone AVC and paying debt off at the same time is quite tempting.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it's not something you'd be sentimental about losing, I'd go for it. The money you'd get would come in handy. I love diamonds but I'm too practical sometimes.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I wouldn't know what to do in your shoes! I want to get 2 smaller AVC's to set in a 3 stone with my RB, so I can definitely see the appeal there. I think you should go for the 3 stone AVC if that is in the cards. If you were totally satisfied with your RB, you wouldn't be thinking about selling at all. The money is already spent, so putting some or all of it toward a forever type of ring would be a good idea. I wouldn't use proceeds towards other debts. Down the line, years from now, you'd be kicking yourself most likely. You've always wanted a 3 stone, go for it already!!! :bigsmile:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting!

So how long would it take you to pay off the debt without selling your diamond?

Would being debt-free that much sooner be as enjoyable as owning your current diamond?

And would you really be happy with a much smaller diamond? Or would you be back on the upgrade train, except this time, diamonds cost a lot more?

julia_girl

Rough_Rock
Hi Dreamer,
do you mind me asking which vendors are willing to buy preownded diamonds? I am also trying to sell my 1.2 carat Hof diamond and setting, which was appraised at around $23k a year ago and has also gone up recently. I am not trying to make any money on mine at this point, and Im willing to give someone a great deal. I'd just like to sell it and move on and now seems like a good time to do that. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Seems you'll use the money to pay off some debt. In today's world, I think that is a wise decision. You'll still have an absolutely beautiful ring at the end. I'd do it.

Everyone's loss in terms of diamond prices is your gain!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you could be the proud new owner of 3 AVCs and still have some money freed up to pay off some things?! What a great deal!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say- 3 stone AVC so you have great coverage- only if you can still bank some $

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1313968246|2996016 said:
Interesting!

So how long would it take you to pay off the debt without selling your diamond?

Would being debt-free that much sooner be as enjoyable as owning your current diamond?

And would you really be happy with a much smaller diamond? Or would you be back on the upgrade train, except this time, diamonds cost a lot more?

good thought.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I say don't do it.

After you sell yours and buy an AVC whether it be a solitaire or a three stone, how much will you actually be left with?
I don't mean tell me. I just mean, will you really be able to pay off that much debt , as opposed to how much it would cost you to reverse this decision if it does indeed turn out to be the wrong decision.

I have had an AVC and went back to an RB. Why, because I felt it looked better with my eternity. I think you may find the warmth of the AVC such that you will not like it with your F's (I think thats what they are, in your E band). I am not saying you won't love the AVC but you may not welcome the contrast.

I love both the AVC and the RB and would be happy with either if they were the right SIZE and right COLOUR.
Do not, I repeat do not do this lightly, as I am worried you (like me!!!!!) are trying to scratch an itch by doing the opposite of what you want. Me - 3 stone, halo, or art deco setting when what I TRULY desire is a larger RB with an improved colour!!!! :devil: :rolleyes:

To continue down this road may affect you ability to reach your true desire and put you an ever lasting upgrade/setting search/cycle.

I hope you know that this reply was written from a place of love and deep understanding of your situation, please don't be offended by anything I have said!!!! ::)

E B

Ideal_Rock
susimoo|1313971525|2996066 said:
Honestly, I say don't do it.

After you sell yours and buy an AVC whether it be a solitaire or a three stone, how much will you actually be left with?
I don't mean tell me. I just mean, will you really be able to pay off that much debt , as opposed to how much it would cost you to reverse this decision if it does indeed turn out to be the wrong decision.

I have had an AVC and went back to an RB. Why, because I felt it looked better with my eternity. I think you may find the warmth of the AVC such that you will not like it with your F's (I think thats what they are, in your E band). I am not saying you won't love the AVC but you may not welcome the contrast.

I love both the AVC and the RB and would be happy with either if they were the right SIZE and right COLOUR.
Do not, I repeat do not do this lightly, as I am worried you (like me!!!!!) are trying to scratch an itch by doing the opposite of what you want. Me - 3 stone, halo, or art deco setting when what I TRULY desire is a larger RB with an improved colour!!!! :devil: :rolleyes:

To continue down this road may affect you ability to reach your true desire and put you an ever lasting upgrade/setting search/cycle.

I hope you know that this reply was written from a place of love and deep understanding of your situation, please don't be offended by anything I have said!!!! ::)

Edit: This, this, this. Only 2 seconds too late. :cheeky:

This is just a suggestion, but have you considered a five-stone AVC band? I don't know Jon's plan to have more cut in the future, but you may be able to swing it for around the same cost as the 1.16 but you'd get a) more finger coverage, b) AVCs (!) in higher colors and c) a good chunk of change to put toward the debt.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My upgrade came after 25 years of marriage. Our home, our two children, our careers and other finances came first. Then I got a big bonus from my company, there were no other immediate needs, and it was finally time for my diamond upgrade. Until then I had been sporting a 0.18 ct solitaire, and I went to a 1.5 ct F VS2.

So, I get it when you have small children and money is tight. It makes sense to me to free up some cash to take care of other concerns. Who knows what will happen in the future? Work hard, raise those children right, and enjoy life as it comes. Besides, I love those AVCs, and you will still have a beautiful ring. :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buying the solitaire AVC would still leave us $5000 in cash. For us, that is certainly nothing to sneeze at!

I don't like a 5 stone look, many small stones is not the same as one larger one at all! But thanks for the suggestion!

I would not wear this ring with my half eternity, but I will ponder the color issue some more.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1313974551|2996114 said:
Buying the solitaire AVC would still leave us $5000 in cash. For us, that is certainly nothing to sneeze at!

I don't like a 5 stone look, many small stones is not the same as one larger one at all! But thanks for the suggestion!

I would not wear this ring with my half eternity, but I will ponder the color issue some more.

I'm sure you've already considered this, but is there any other way you could get $5k? Become an extreme couponer for a few months? Scrimping/saving/selling some of your other jewelry on eBay, etc.? For "only" $5k (which I agree is nothing to sneeze at! :cheeky: ) I wouldn't give up the big rock!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an AVC 3 stone would be amazing, but I wouldn't personally do all 3 AVCs...bullets or traps would set it off so nicely! :lickout:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much would be leftover if you went w/ the 3 stone AVC, including the cost of the setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results