shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm back! PLEASE help me pick my dream emerald cut!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Long story short, I almost purchased a diamond a few weeks ago, but then I backed out. Today I found a ring I loved and submitted an offer, and then the seller told me he was wrong about the color of the center diamond. It was not F/G color by any stretch of the imagination. It was a K! ( and not a certified K) :hand: ....so he canceled my offer per my request. After all of this stress and confusion, I have decided to move forward with purchasing a diamond from James Allen. (This time, it's really going to happen!) I would appreciate anyone's input on which emerald cut I should order. None of these have ASETS, by the way.

So...originally, my heart was set on this one (which I currently have on hold):

#1: http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.30-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-595342

But then I found these two beauties!

#2: http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-726491

#3: http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.33-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-726471

Which one (or TWO) would be your top choice/choices? I'm so eager to buy. Thanks for your help! :)

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Re: PLEASE help me pick my dream emerald cut!

Anyone?? (Preferably those who know a bit about emerald cuts). ;-)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why aren't you asking for ASETS? They are very important when looking for an EC. JA will let you ask for three.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because she doesn't want to waste her free ASETs by selecting 3 duds. I can't view the video properly on my iPhone so I'll take a look tomorrow on my laptop.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The J you have on hold is the best. The K shows a lot of color, and the last stone is graded I color by IGI, which explains why it looks more like K-L. I am thinking it may not do well on the ASET, either. I would recommend sticking with I-J (GIA) color unless you are seeking a stone that shows some tint.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Lookinagain|1446704606|3945931 said:
Why aren't you asking for ASETS? They are very important when looking for an EC. JA will let you ask for three.

I asked for ASETS on all of these. I was told they are not available for these three particular EC's.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Question: if you fell in love with a ring that may be a (uncerted) K and that's a no go, why are you shopping for Ks? Is there any possibility of having that vendor get the stone certified? If it comes out close to a K, you could negotiate a lower price since it is not an F/G like the listing originally said.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RetroTreeGal|1446729726|3945980 said:
Question: if you fell in love with a ring that may be a (uncerted) K and that's a no go, why are you shopping for Ks? Is there any possibility of having that vendor get the stone certified? If it comes out close to a K, you could negotiate a lower price since it is not an F/G like the listing originally said.

Because an uncerted K is likely to end up a certed P or Q. If it ever had a chance of being a true K, you can bet that the seller would have sent it to GIA because he/she can set a higher selling price for it. Looking at the original listing, there's no way it would end up graded as a K. It was beyond "warm".

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1446730680|3945985 said:
RetroTreeGal|1446729726|3945980 said:

Because an uncerted K is likely to end up a certed P or Q. If it ever had a chance of being a true K, you can bet that the seller would have sent it to GIA because he/she can set a higher selling price for it. Looking at the original listing, there's no way it would end up graded as a K. It was beyond "warm".

What Chrono said. Thanks, Chrono! :wavey: (And I do like some warmth, btw. A GIA K is beautiful to me. An uncertified K, not so much. :-o )

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1446729008|3945978 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.30-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-595342
The light performance in the middle looks weak.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-726491
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.33-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-726471
Please do not buy IGI graded diamonds. The 1.33 I VVS diamond has extremely weak performance.

Chrono, I was wondering the same thing about the first one. It does look a little weak in the middle, huh? :roll:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you run through the ct size and budget requirements again, please?
J/K colour is good and probably eye clean VS2, right?
Rectangular outline preferred over square?

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1446734032|3945992 said:
Can you run through the ct size and budget requirements again, please?
J/K colour is good and probably eye clean VS2, right?
Rectangular outline preferred over square?

You nailed it on the head, Chrono. GIA report is important to me now as well.

Looking in the 1.25-1.50 range. ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget please. :wavey:

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I must say Chrono, you are working hard today with some fabulous picks!

Singer, you dodged an ebay bullet. Congratulations! GIA is your friend! :wacko:

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1446739738|3946016 said:

Chrono, 628766 is gorgeous!!! Now I am considering that one instead. It is a little bit over our budget though. What to do. Thank you for all of your help! I don't know how I missed that one!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard for us to know its over budget when you havent said your budget?

singer

Brilliant_Rock
True. (Although it was not intentional. I just forgot to mention it.) But as you can see, all three of my choices were in the $4,000-$4,500 range. ;-) Thanks for the comment though.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1446738751|3946012 said:
Budget please. :wavey:

Looking to stay under $4,500, but I may be able to go a little higher. Just have to talk to the hubs. :$$):

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results