shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m back looking for a 6mm ish Round Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies, and gents
I''m back looking for a new spinel, about a month ago, I was about to get a pink spinel (thanks to Chrono
2.gif
)from Michael, but couldn''t do it, as was told that my bezel would be destroyed, anyhow Michael said he could repair it as long as the rest of the ring was in tact. So I''m back to look for a 6.5mm ish round stone, I''m open to colors that will work for yellow gold not just pink. So if there are anyone out there who feels like shopping vicariously through me, please feel free to post gems on here. I have also contacted Michael for some of his selection as well. so we shall see, I won''t be getting the stone set immediately though until I get my final ering setting made by Mark Morrell and the waiting list will be well after July... but I guess I start my search now
1.gif
Thanks all!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ugg. went on five sites already and ones I thought of that would work and a real beauty are sold
7.gif
I''ll just keep plugging away, if you have any other recommended sites not listed already above that would be wonderful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, a 6.5 mm round spinel for a yellow metal. Do you mind sharing your budget?

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Are you going to wear this everyday? Any color preference besides pink?

You might want to ask to have a stone custom cut for you. Barry, Gene, Gary or John are all great to deal with. I''d also recommend Dan too, but I don''t have any personal experience with him.

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
I recently worked with both Barry and Dan to find a round spinel the same size for my ering and they both came up with stunning pieces and are really helpful so I would definitely recommend asking either of them
1.gif

Dayna

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
about $150 no more than $200, as for cut, how do they all differ on their style for rounds? I'm trying to search for their cut on round stones. I really want the cut to bring out the sparkle factor. and I'm thinking they cut differently? no?
ETA: I forgot to mention no purple/lavender, (maybe lavender/pink color ok?) since I already have a purple amethyst in yellow gold setting as well. But I'm really open to any other color that would look great in yellow gold... Again Many thanks,, you guys are a real GEM here
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your priority colour or cut? There aren''t all that many different round designs, and the primary purpose of the cutting is usually to bring out the best colour out of the rough material.

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
Both of mine have been less than $200. My Dan spinel is a portuguese brilliant, and it really is so sparkly! I haven''t received my Barry stone yet, but looking at the pictures he has sent me the facets seem alot chunkier when compared to the Dan spinel.

Hope this helps, if you want to see the vendor pictures of both to see the difference then just ask
1.gif

Dayna

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
The rounds you'll come across most are standard round brilliant (SRB) and Portuguese round. Then there are variations.

This spinel from John is 6 mm, if you will end up having the head rebuilt.
http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=198
It's one of his older stones since it's photographed on the black background. You might want to request new pictures if you're interested.

These garnets are both a little larger and more expensive, but show the round brilliant vs. Portuguese.
http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=159

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=189

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted a 5mm round spessartite and Dan not only cut it to order for me it is a stunning gemstone. I have a color shift spinel from him that is really pretty too. Good luck with your search.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm, oh boy- i''d like an interesting facet pattern, but i also want some sparkle in the stone, as for the color, I don''t want something too neony (if that makes sense) so for color it just depends- here''s the setting that it will go in

tnset5Picture 0061.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 9:58:05 PM
Author: Barcelona
The rounds you''ll come across most are standard round brilliant (SRB) and Portuguese round. Then there are variations.

This spinel from John is 6 mm, if you will end up having the head rebuilt.
http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=198
It''s one of his older stones since it''s photographed on the black background. You might want to request new pictures if you''re interested.

These garnets are both a little larger and more expensive, but show the round brilliant vs. Portuguese.
http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=159

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=189
wow those are good looking stones, the last malaya- such an awesome cut.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
there are so many options here... you guys are so helpful!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pink spinel looks very bright. The 2nd Malaya might look better in yellow gold. The 1st Malaya looks more suited to rose gold.

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
thought you might like to see what some stones might look like in your setting, here is that first pink spinel for you
1.gif
please excuse the amateur photoshop attempt - i need more practice at it!

Dayna

dtspinel1.jpg

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
the peachy malaya

dtmalaya1.jpg

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
the other malaya

dtmalaya2.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DAYNA- THANK YOU THANK YOU! I was wondering how they would look like, wonderful job!

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
no problem, happy to help
1.gif

Dayna

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 10:37:44 PM
Author: MissDayna
the other malaya
This one looks best in yellow gold (2nd Malaya).

MissD,
Can you also post the colour "changed" malayas in the same setting too? The brownish yellow and the orangish cinnamon ones?

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
yeah sure, here''s the colour change on the first one

dtmalaya1b.jpg

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
and the second one

dtmalaya2b.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I love the way the peachy malaya looks in the setting!!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, it's pretty clear based ONLY on the pictures alone, the 2nd Malaya is the clear winner for the yellow gold setting.

MissD,
Thank you for your photoshop assistance.
36.gif

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
Hey, you are welcome, always glad to help out fellow coloured stone lovers
9.gif

Dayna

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow... seriously my own photoshop guru to help me
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 10:52:49 PM
yeah sure, here''s the colour change on the first one
so the peachy malaya changes to a slight brownish tinge?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 9:57:33 PM
Both of mine have been less than $200. My Dan spinel is a portuguese brilliant, and it really is so sparkly! I haven't received my Barry stone yet, but looking at the pictures he has sent me the facets seem alot chunkier when compared to the Dan spinel.

Hope this helps, if you want to see the vendor pictures of both to see the difference then just ask
1.gif

Dayna
Yes. I have a Barry stone it's set and sparkles. Today I got a stone from Dan. It is a very sparkly spinel and the facets seem slimmer than Barry's, but it is also a smaller stone.

Rain all day today and the photos I have are very poor, don't show the color or sparkle. Rain expected the rest of the week but I'll try for more photos.

HTH

ETA: I LOVE the setting you're going to use!! I personally think the regular RB look best in that setting. The Port. is so different and your setting is so classic. Of course go with what you like!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooyyyyy decisions
33.gif
, I sent an email earlier to Michael to see what he has also in stock before I started the post, so I''ll report back in the AM. keep em coming if there are other stones you might think will look good in the setting. Thanks for all your efforts, it truly is appreciated. I definitely wouldn''t mind getting a stone cut, but I have a hard time with rough stones and seeing what it will come out looking like so I just buy the already cut (diamond seemed like such a breeze compared to gemstones), surprises are not my forte I guess.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter-
would love to see them when you get a chance,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results