shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m at a loss for a ring setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kzx87

Rough_Rock
I have the diamond I want to use (.80), but I don't know what to do about a setting. She loves the antique and detailed style of milgrain. She wants sapphires on the band and maybe diamonds too. Alot of the stuff she likes is on faycullen, but they have too strict a return policy for me. I have about a $2k budget (+/- a little) for the setting. I would hope I could score platinum in that range, but so far the local B&M guy quoted me $2100 for 14k gold =( He says its a custom job (+$600 for custom work), but I don't know how custom you can call it when you order the rough ring design from a catalog and then channel set sapphires where diamonds were originally pictured. Plus it has the huge honking prongs that I don't think I really like.

So maybe you gentlemen and ladies can help me find something. I want something delcate, elegant, and classy that adds a little bling to the overall ring. My gf is 5 feet tall, 5.5 ring, and fairly tiny. Nothing that sits way high off her finger or looks like a bulky college ring.

I think something like this is absolutely beautiful and what I'm looking for, but I would add blue sapphires in there somewhere per her request.

p.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out Kirk Kara designs ... you should be able to find out which retailers carry him. VERY PRETTY designs with sapphires ... don''t know the price though.

Platinum is very high right now - it doesn''t suprise me that a detailed setting WITH sidestones would be over 2K in platinum. 18K white gold is a popular pick for those vintagey settings too -- in fact, many of my grandma''s genuine antique rings are 18K W.G. ...

Let us know what you pick!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aha! ... Here''s your setting ... $2090 in 18K WG ...

You''re welcome
3.gif
31.gif
9.gif

kirkkarasaphh.jpg

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
the prices aren''t available without asking, but the Richard Landi settings at Good Old Gold''s website seem similar to what you want

kzx87

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 12:00:49 PM
Author: tanuki
the prices aren''t available without asking, but the Richard Landi settings at Good Old Gold''s website seem similar to what you want
thanks, i''m right outside of NYC so if I could find something I could actually go see, that would be totally awesome.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Couple of ideas (all made by Tacori): www.tacori.com

tacorisapphirehalo.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And the side of that one:

tacorisapphirehaloside.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Another:

tacorisapphirebaguettes.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And the side of that one:

tacorisapphirebaguettesside.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Last one:

tacorisapphirebullets.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And the side:

tacorisapphirebulletsside.jpg

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Tacori makes great rings, so do Simon G and Danhov. I''d check out all 3.

I think any jeweler who makes a ring "just for you" regardless of how much effort went into making it is going to have a strict return policy because it''s not a ring they normally stock. Especially if you return it and ask them to remove your diamond. The ring could be damaged beyond repair, put yourself in their position too.

I wouldn''t worry about the prongs, a good diamond setter will shave them down and make them look as small as possible during the setting process.

kzx87

Rough_Rock
i really like the halo set just below the center solitaire like my original picture. everything i find seems to be flush =(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then you could always contact someone like WhiteFlash who makes a prong-set halo setting and ask them to make it semi-custom to add the milgrain and substitute some sapphires for some of the diamonds.

/images/site/g_lostF.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
kzx87, welcome to the forums
35.gif

You may ask for adding 6 tiny sapphires as shown too.

ETA: what you are looking for is called "prong halo" around here, opposite to "bezel halo" term which i believe you named "flush".

PrincOrnBlue1.jpg

kzx87

Rough_Rock
hi thanks!

i''ve been learning at about mach 3 on this website. it really helped me pick a better diamond since I realized just how different all of blue nile''s "signature-ideal" cuts are when u consider crown/pavilion %''s. I made a very educated choice and am very happy with my stone.

A setting is sizing up to be much more tougher though!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Now I know it isn''t usually good to buy on ebay, but this place is supposedly located in NYC (where OP is, correct?). They have this halo setting for a 3/4ct-1.25ct center stone in 18kWG that looks like it might work for well under budget ($950). If they have a shop, you might be able to see before you buy:

Vintage Sapphire Diamond Setting

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 11:35:45 AM
Author: decodelighted
Aha! ... Here''s your setting ... $2090 in 18K WG ...

You''re welcome
3.gif
31.gif
9.gif
thank you deco!!! I found a ring that I put into my saves pile - awesome!! what other links do you have??? :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results