shape
carat
color
clarity

Im a newbe looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

takeitez

Rough_Rock
Well this whole diamond buying can be a little overwhelming. Im thinking about going with:
princess cut
1+ caret
F-H color
VS1, VS2 clarity

Im thinking of going with white gold apposed to platinum. Think i put the $ in the diamond.

The setting im thinking about is a 3stone with diamonds in the band. Im just concerned this will be too much diamond bling. I know its not a huge center diamond but when wearing it all youll see will be diamonds. I havent adventured out in the stores yet but will be soon.

I have been told to go to independent jewelers rather than the mall chains. What are the independent jewelers?

Is it ok to buy diamonds online with a GIA cert.? Im hesitant in doing so because i do alot of buying online/ ebay and i dont want my girl thinking this is just another internet purchase rater then going shopping at stores.

I have more questions but ill start with these, Thanks!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

It is fine to buy online from a reputable vendor, companies such as www.whiteflash.com spring to mind, they do some beautifully cut Princess shapes and have gorgeous settings too. Plus the online vendors are expert and experienced, you can trust them to give you the best advice and selections, make use of their skills! Purchasing from a reputable online vendor is a method that thousands of people have used with great results and it seems these are increasing!

This link here gives you some examples of superbly cut Princess diamonds.
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/default.aspx

Under Resources at the top of the page, you will see a vendors list. Popular ones here include

Good old Gold
James Allen
Wink Jones
Engagement Rings Direct

Have a look on their websites to see what is available, cut is the most important part of a diamond's beauty, these guys will be able to steer you in the right direction, they are always pleased to help and answer any questions.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
GIA is good. Use this to check yourself (also above under tools), and narrow the range (GIA Certs will typically come with this data to plug in, and narrowing your search to GIA excellent and HCA under 2, will eliminate diamonds with most controversy). This db (above, under prices, the search by cut one) in particular does some of the math for you, out of the box.

Welcome to Pricescope.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this whole diamond buying can be a little overwhelming. Im thinking about going with:
princess cut
1+ caret
F-H color
VS1, VS2 clarity

Ira, he is looking for a Princess cut.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Oops, thanks Lorelei.

Then, see my comments here.

Particularly, since you say:

Date: 7/24/2007 1:39:33 PM
Author:takeitez

Is it ok to buy diamonds online with a GIA cert.? Im hesitant in doing so because i do alot of buying online/ ebay and i dont want my girl thinking this is just another internet purchase rater then going shopping at stores.
I would caution you about buying GIA, unless you work with a dealer, like GOG, who deals extensively with in-house diamonds, who has experience ferreting out better from worse, and has an explicit policy of looking at any diamonds they''d consider bringing in for you, not already in stock.

More conservatively, just go with AGS, earning 0 for light performance.

takeitez

Rough_Rock
everything i have read says go GIA.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm. Barry at SuperbCert might agree with you.

Note, my own position changed only when the cut was noted.

The search engine works on this site in a conventional way. Have you used it?

It''s your money.

Warmest regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results