shape
carat
color
clarity

IGI vs. GIA vs. EGL and is this deal possible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockjock

Rough_Rock
I found a diamond at a mall jewelers...

The deal is

1.5ct
Princess
E
Si 2

Graded by IGI

$5000 USD
I was told that IGI is not a very reliable grader and that this diamond if appraised by other certifiers would probably be a G I or so. Is this true...I don't know if it is worth worrying about and should I buy it or is there something I am not being told? Should I worry about IGI vs. GIA? Every time I go to a jewelers I am told something different and I want to know some information from an objective point of view. Pleas help. Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Rock, the way to purchase a stone like that is to make the sale contingent upon an independent appraiser's evaluation and appraisal.

Most store's will go along with this. It is a reasonable request.

IGI has been known in the past for "loose grading". In the last several years it seems to me that their grading has "tightened up" somewhat. Still, I see IGI stones all the time that I disagree with the grading on.

Then again, once in a while I do agree with their grading. Perhaps that is the case with this stone, although that precipice between an SI2 and an I1 makes me a little nervous in this case.

If you like the stone, have it checked out.

Rich, GG

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I have a Sears catalog in front of me. They use IGI for their diamonds. The "certificate" has a price value on it (more than what Sears sell for, no doubt). This is unusual. The certificate says "weight estimated by formula." Hee hee! They are too busy to weigh the stone.

I don't know if the S1 or color rating would be lower with GIA or AGS. Maybe it would be the same. But still, you have a real budget so you have good options.

You can get an EGL stone (third best rating place if it is EGL-LA or EGL-NY, much worse, I hear, if it is EGL Israel or Belgium) with those specs for $4800. Or if it turns out that is really like a G-SI2, then it might be worth just $3000. An AGS or GIA stone with those specs is $6,000. I used to think you were just paying for the AGS name, but now I think most of it is that people send stones that get a bad AGS rating to someone else that will rate them higher. I would stick to AGS, GIA, or EGL-USA.

rockjock

Rough_Rock
Ok, well... I guess that settle's it, I think that I am going to look else where and get something with a better rating. I don't have all the cash up front, so internet prices don't really help, but I did see some on there that I think I like. Has anyone heard of Capri Jewelers and have any thoughts. They are GIA certified. I really just want an engagement ring for my girlfriend, but I don't want to get ripped off. What would be the most important thing to worry about for someone in my situation? thanks again

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You have absolutely nothing to worry about if you make the final sale contingent upon the verification of an independent appraiser.

Rich

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
The average size stone is .6 carats. If you have a credit card, the internet places will take them for a few percent more.

For $2800 you can get a round .76 H SI1 that rates 1.3 on the Cut Advisor. Has ideal polish and symmetry, and is a "Cut Above" H&A stone. In other words, something really nice that you will never stumple into in most mall stores. That price requires that you say you saw it on Pricescope.

http://www.whiteflash.com/wf/general/details.asp?catalog_name=Diamonds&category_name=All+Diamonds&product_id=AGS-3402105

rockjock

Rough_Rock
How exactly do you find an independent accredited appraiser? And how much should I look to be spending on him/her? Or should I try and make it part of the diamond price?

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
At the top of this page you'll see a button for appraisers. You can look into it here.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
For a 1.5 carat stone you'll probably pay between $75 to $125 for a comprehensive appraisal / grading report. I charge $90, for example.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/31/2002 9:12:29 PM

Has anyone heard of Capri Jewelers and have any thoughts. They are GIA certified. I really just want an engagement ring for my girlfriend, but I don't want to get ripped off. What would be the most important thing to worry about for someone in my situation? thanks again
----------------

Would that be in VA?

I would get an independent appraisal.

rockjock

Rough_Rock
Yes that is in VA...ok I will call one and see what he/she thinks...thanks

Dan

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/1/2002 12:52:18 PM

Yes that is in VA...ok I will call one and see what he/she thinks...thanks

Dan
----------------

I looked at Capri with VERY little success.

I ended up purchasing my 3c stone from "Jeweler's Eye" in Charlottesville, VA (on the pedestrian mall downtown). Roger Hautch (sp) is the proprietor, a Graduate GIA Gemologist, knowledable, very low key & honest.

Good Luck.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I got my 3c fr. Capri Jewelers in Los Angeles. I don't know if this is the same company you are referring to? My purchase experience had been very pleasant with Capri.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/3/2002 8:35:03 PM

I got my 3c fr. Capri Jewelers in Los Angeles. I don't know if this is the same company you are referring to? My purchase experience had been very pleasant with Capri.
----------------

I doubt it as the Capri in VA is privately owned.

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

vargasma8

Rough_Rock
This is my first time on-so if I came in "incorrectly" I'm sorry- Someone help?
I've been looking around and learning about the almighty diamond for about 6 months now. I started to order on online at first. But in order for me to get my exact ring size, I was told to visit a jewerly store. Well, I did and while there, I feel in love with the Leo Diamond. The fire is amazing. I find a three-stone diamond anivversary ring. The center .75 and two sides @ .37 ea. 75 ctw on sides. G-H color SI1-2 with IGI & Gemex (Light Performance Analsis) report. The stones are set in Plat. The band is 14k gold. I wanted white gold or plat, but I figured that as long as the stones were set in Plat, I was ok? What do you think? And they said they if I wanted Plat I would have to wait for them to make and entire new ring. Not the same ones I saw-but similar ones or better. But get this? they said it would be about 14 weeks-is that ridiculous? I went to Kay jewelers! However, I don't mind the yellow gold you only see it behind my finger. Besides, I love it it's beautiful and sparkles across the room. $6,700 including tax. Please help! Thanks
twirl.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
What is it that you like about the ring? Setting or diamonds? Are these the first diamonds that you have looked at and have you looked any ideal H&A diamonds or other branded stones like HOF?

Where are you shopping on line? If you really love the ring and think it's a value, by all means go for it and enjoy. However if you are asking if you can get the same or better stones for less, then I think so. Do a search on the main page for differnt sizes and grades of diamonds.

Stick around and post some questions of what you find and the kind people here will be more than glad to help you.

vargasma8

Rough_Rock
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE! WELL WHAT I LOVED ABOUT IT THE BRILLANCE, AND THE SPARKLE-sIMPLY BREATH-TAKING! I HAVE SEEN OTHER DIAMONDS. I WAS GOING TO ORDER FROM BLUE NILE,BUT I DIDN'T LIKE THE SETTING THEY WERE PROVIDING. THE ONLY REASON WHY I KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE SETTING WAS NOT FOR ME IS BECAUSE I TRIED ON THE "BLUENILTE" SETTING AT THE jEWERLY STORE-NOT AS ATTRACTIVE AS THE LEO DIAMOND. ANYHOW, I GATHERED INFORMATION ABOUT LEO SCHACHTER THE CRAFTER, AND I'M IMPRESSES? DID YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIS REPUTATION?

Pair0Ducks

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a very similar ring online here from DCD. .80 center stone with .25 side stones, set it white gold. (So it isn't exactly the same). The .80 is an ideal cut, G/SI2 (eyeclean) with a 1.4 on the HCA. It is very, very brilliant. It is also an AGS cert.

Anyway, price... $3500. Just a skosh less than your quoted $6700.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results