shape
carat
color
clarity

IGI report question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
Check out the report
I searched through some old posts concerning IGI but still couldn''t quite make sense of it. The report does not contain any crown or pavilion info, but does reference an AGS report. However, I can''t pull up the AGS report. I understand that IGI is somewhat niche but nothing suggested an AGS graded diamond might benefit from IGI. So what up wit dis?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 3:31:49 PM
Author:annadragon
Check out the report
I searched through some old posts concerning IGI but still couldn''t quite make sense of it. The report does not contain any crown or pavilion info, but does reference an AGS report. However, I can''t pull up the AGS report. I understand that IGI is somewhat niche but nothing suggested an AGS graded diamond might benefit from IGI. So what up wit dis?

I would ask James Allen about this if you are considering this diamond anna.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
IGI is hardly a "niche" outfit. They are very big, but not considered the lab of choice for sellers of fine diamonds in this country. I''d verify the grading before going with the idea that all big labs grade equally. They don''t. This situation makes comparison with diamond graded by other labs difficult. I am being very kind!

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
Oh, just to clarify I''m not considering this stone. I''ve already picked out a nice shiny:) My main objective was to satisfy a curiosity about the report and the reference to an AGS#. It appears that even after you pick out a rock, you have some strange obsession with just browsing inventories for fun
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was once graded by AGS here are the AGS stats:
It is an old ags0 that would not likely get ags0 under the new system so it was sent to IGI.
I would get ags1 under the new system.
It is likely a trade in that was put back on the market.

AGS#: 6136402
Report Type: Diamond Quality™ Document
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.37 - 7.40 x 4.56 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal
Color Grade: AGS 2.0 (H)
Clarity Grade: AGS 3 (VS1)
Carat Weight: 1.514
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Comments:

"AGSL 0006136402" has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond.
Clouds are not shown.
Table: 54.0%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown Height: 15.7%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.1% to 2.2%
Pavilion Angle: 41.1
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Total Depth: 61.8%
Culet: Pointed

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't it have been preferable to send it back to AGS even if it got a 1 or for a DQR, GIA even?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 5:07:51 PM
Author: Lorelei
Wouldn''t it have been preferable to send it back to AGS even if it got a 1 or for a DQR, GIA even?
maybe but it is possible it wouldn''t have got the same clarity or finish grade from AGS or GIA due to damage.
No way to tell.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/2/2009 5:07:51 PM
Author: Lorelei
Wouldn''t it have been preferable to send it back to AGS even if it got a 1 or for a DQR, GIA even?
For sale to PS educated shoppers - yes.
For sale to the vast majority of consumers with no idea that standards between labs vary - no.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks chaps!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results