shape
carat
color
clarity

IGI H&A or GIA EX P&S?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fishy

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I live in HK. Most of the reputable jewelry shops in HK will provide IGI or GIA cert. ONLY.

If there are 2 diamonds with same carat, color, clarity and flouresence.

Diamond 1: IGI H&A Ideal Cut, excellent polish, symmetry and proportion.
Diamond 2: GIA excellent polish and symmery.

My question is:

1. Which one shall i buy if the proportions looks similar? Except HCA, how to choose a better one.
2. Is it safer to choose the IGI one? (At least it's H&A, the GIA one may or may not be H&A)
3. Except the internet version, is there any other version of HCA? E.g. excel ver. or exe?
4. A lot of IGI certs. here comments the diamond as "additional pre-existing laser inscription on girdle". What do you think about those diamonds?

Many Thanks!

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 11:23:26 AM
Author:fishy
Hi All,

I live in HK. Most of the reputable jewelry shops in HK will provide IGI or GIA cert. ONLY.

If there are 2 diamonds with same carat, color, clarity and flouresence.

Diamond 1: IGI H&A excellent polish, symmetry and proportion.
Diamond 2: GIA excellent polish and symmery.

My question is:

1. Which one shall i buy if the proportions looks similar? Except HCA, how to choose a better one.
2. Is it safer to choose the IGI one? (At least it's H&A, the GIA one may or may not be H&A)
3. Except the internet version, is there any other version of HCA? E.g. excel ver. or exe?

Many Thanks!
First of all, you left out the most important C.......CUT!!! The well cut diamond will perform for you!! It will SPARKLE, It will show color or fire.......it will AMAZE YOU!!!!

You can see 3 of the 4 C's
CUT - will determine the sparkle of the diamond... NEVER SACRIFICE CUT!!!!

COLOR - A well CUT diamond will face up white very well.

CARAT WT. - A poorly cut diamond that has LEAKAGE will look smaller than it actually is. Well cut diamond will actually look larger because it reflects light so well.

You cannot see CLARITY, unless the stone is NOT EYE CLEAN, but who would want to buy an VISUALLY INCLUDED STONE, not me. BUY a completely EYE CLEAN STONE!!!!

GIA vs IGI......here in the US, GIA carries more weight...... I dont know how GIA is rated in your country or IGI.

Laser Inscription on the girdle is nice, but not necessary. Plot your diamond instead, this is how you tell your diamond apart from other diamonds. A laser inscription can be "buffed off".

Post images and numbers of the diamonds you are looking at it and PS readers will be very happy to give you their opinion.

Take Care
MWG

fishy

Rough_Rock
agree. Cut is important, what if the proportions are similar, except hca, , is there any other way to choose a better one?

About the "laser", i GUESS, the diamond is previously graded by some other institude but the grade is not good, then they send the diamond to IGI for a better grade. :)

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 11:37:14 AM
Author: fishy
agree. Cut is important, what if the proportions are similar, except hca, , is there any other way to choose a better one?
What is the HCA number for both diamonds?

Also, can you post the numbers and images of these diamonds?

The greatest test, is your EYES in different lighting situations.

MWG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have been told that the better diamonds are usually sent to GIA or AGS. I would limit my looking to stones graded by those two labs. And I would want ideal or excellent cut.

robbe

Shiny_Rock
fishy, you are possibly looking to buy at My Jewelry in hong kong (correct?).
if so, they are carrying stones with igi reports with additional laser inscriptions which are from a singapore lab.
these stones cannot be sold easily with sig. lab reports in hk, that is why they are being converted into igi.
also, whenever applicable igi is placing h&a photos onto its reports, a very highly appreciated feature.
regarding the stone, there are no 36 ways to go about it: if it is ideal and triple ex and h&a, then you have a perfect round brilliant. period.
in hk, such stones are available at css, tsl, my jewelry and others, and perhaps you would want to compare.
as for the comparison between gia and igi, they are vey much on the same line with regard to color and clarity grading.
major difference is that igi confirms h&a by placing photos of h&a, and also photos of laser inscriptions on the reports.
interestingly, grading reports are perceived differently according to different markets. for asia, in hk, singapore, taiwan and mainland china for example, i am selling mostly igi & gia (wholesale only, sorry). in europe it is more so hrd and igi. in the usa it is more gia but igi for the large chain stores. in india it is mainly igi.
this means that your question could receive different versions of replies, deppending on where these replies are coming from...
good luck, robbe

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results