soocool

Ideal_Rock
which of the following would you buy?

1. iPad
2. Kindle
3. eNook
4. iPod Touch

or a combination of each if it adds up to about $500.00

I got a call today from my bank that I won the iPad, but since the new iPad came out they decided to deposit $500 into my acoount instead. If I had received the iPad I would have been happy with that, but now that I have $500 I can't decide what I want, an iPad2 for me, a Kindle and/or eNook for me, DH, and DD, or Kindle or eNook and iPod Touch for me.

I like to read (don't read outside so I don't care if it is backlit or not) books, newspapers, magazines. I also like to do crossword puzzles and Sudokus.. What to do? I need suggestions

and no, no jewelry at this time... there is nothing I want at this time.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd get an iPad-I really want one and love playing with my SIL's when I'm around in her house. I think it's so handy. Kindle's haven't really caught on over here yet.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
iPad 2, for sure. I'm saving up for it (well, by saving I mean selling all my old textbooks and then buying it with the proceeds).

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to my guy's inability to resist any new technology, we have 3 of the 4 in our house (ipad, ipod touch, kindle). The kindle is excellent for its limited purpose, but the ipad has a combined functionality which blows the rest away by a large margin.

We use it to read kindle books, display recipes in the kitchen, passively search the internet, and watch tv/movies using netflix. The size is optimized for pretty much all of that, and it's the device which joins us on vacation.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Well, since I already have a Kindle, I'd get an Ipad. What I like about the ipad is you have the option to access websites and read things from those as well. The Kindle won't allow that, plus you can just get the ipad app for Kindle.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I'd get the iPad. My DH has one and it's fun to use, plus way more versatile than the Kindle. I have an iPhone 4 so no need for the touch.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1310144020|2964756 said:
Well, since I already have a Kindle, I'd get an Ipad. What I like about the ipad is you have the option to access websites and read things from those as well. The Kindle won't allow that, plus you can just get the ipad app for Kindle.

I did not know that! Thanks. I just read the cnet reviews and am leaning heavily towards the iPad2

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I love my Kindle, and have compared it with my co-worker's Nook and we both agree the Kindle was a bit better (and cheaper). I'm not an ipad type of person, and spending all day on the computer at work wears out my eyes so a back-lit screen would get to me. Is there somewhere near you that you can go play with them all in person and decide that way? It might be best to really decide which you would prefer.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
MustangGal|1310148309|2964834 said:
I love my Kindle, and have compared it with my co-worker's Nook and we both agree the Kindle was a bit better (and cheaper). I'm not an ipad type of person, and spending all day on the computer at work wears out my eyes so a back-lit screen would get to me. Is there somewhere near you that you can go play with them all in person and decide that way? It might be best to really decide which you would prefer.

Totally agree with all of this. The iPad is a great multitasker but if you're going to be spending hours at a time reading, you will appreciate the e-ink of a Kindle or Sony Reader or B&N Nook (not color).

The iPad is great if you don't have a computer or want internet access when you travel. It's light and easy to carry around, but IMO it's redundant if you will be using it at home and have a computer at home. But then again, it doesn't work as a standalone computer. So it really only fits a narrow set of needs IMO. (My boyfriend has one and wishes he'd just gotten a netbook instead.)

I had an iPod Touch for years and I loved it, it's great for using apps and checking email while you're out (assuming you have wifi access) and it's much more portable than the iPad.

I vote ereader + Touch.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a laptop, notebook and an ipad at home. I love the ease of using an ipad, esecially when sitting out on the deck or in the bed. Also fantastic when you travel. That would be my personal preference. You can also d/l books to read on your ipad, as well as listen to music. It seems like it may just have everything you're looking for. Although, do keep in mind that it would not be a substitute for a regular computer.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Neither. I read books and use a laptop when I HAVE to. So truly--I'd donate the money to my local animal shelter.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the iPad. Mostly it's because I'm a touch typist, and you can't type like that on them. We have 3 Kindles, 1 iPad and a couple of iPod touches. I guess we're a wired family. Definitely try the iPad at a store first. Since we all have laptops (5!), we don't need or use the iPad. I would hands down go for another Kindle though. Mine is second generation and I think they're now at 3rd or 4th. Sure you can use the Kindle application on any computer or cell phone, but it isn't the same at all. We're addicted to ours. Don't even bother with the nook. ;))

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my iPad! It gets my vote.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
iPad!!!! I want one so bad! Hubby keeps telling me I don't "need" one because I already have an iPhone 4 and a MacBrook Pro. Well, of course, I don't "need" one...but I still want one!!! :naughty:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I LOVE my Nook - I'd vote for that over the Kindle OR the iPad for reading, honestly, if you're a quick reader. Both of the former have a split-second lag that drives me batty and interrupts the reading experience, but the Nook loads new pages as quickly as I can flip them. And you can browse the 'net if you want. For something like a 3rd the price of an iPad, it's a pretty sweet deal. And that way, the rest of the cash can sit there, singing its siren song if you see a scented candle or a shiny thing or whatever. :rodent:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the ipad. I have spent hours reading on it via the kindle app and it hasn't bothered me. I also have games, recipe apps, magazine apps on it that I use daily.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Kindle, but assuming that I had none of them, I'd probably buy a Kindle and save the rest up to buy e-books books guilt-free. :naughty: I read a lot! And I have a netbook that works for surfing the internet on the couch or when I'm out and about.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely the iPad! My husband has one and absolutely loves it. I've used it here and there but since I have a MacBook Air that's super lightweight so I tend to just use that if I'm laying in bed playing online. The iPad is fantastic for watching movies, though, and I really love some of the apps. (The magazine ones in particular are great.)

I'm still stuck on regular books so haven't used the Kindle or the Nook, but my mom and sister both have the Kindle and love it.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have a Kindle3...and I love it, very much! But, I also like to read---and read everywhere. My husband has an iPad and uses it constantly. We both have iPhones--pretty much an iPod Touch, and they are nice. You can't really go wrong either way, but for what you do and how you'd use it...get the iPad, but only if it's a 3G...because wifi only is very limiting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't spend all of it on an enook. I'd just get a regular nook. I love mine.

But if you want to spend it all... Ipad, I guess. I really do adore my nook though.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would vote for an iPad. DH had one and we finally bought him the iPad2 and I inherited his and I use it all the time. We both had Kindles and don't use them anymore because we use the Kindle app on the iPad and read on there. You can surf the internet, participate on Pricescope, do email, play games, play tunes, watch movies and read on an iPad. I use mine more than I ever thought I would. I also have an iPhone4 and a Macbook Air. I use them all quite a bit.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I think given that you like to do crosswords and Sudokus in addition to reading I'd go with an iPad. I bet there are some really cool apps for those things.

I have a Kindle and I love it. DH and I can't decide if we should get an iPad or not. But if I won $500 I would probably just buy one right now.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Someone suggested that I go to a store and try all 3 and I will do that. I have seen the nook and kindle at Staples, but they are not side by side in the store so I can't compare closely together. I brought my laptop up to my vacation home and I decided to leave it there while I work on my desktop at home. It would be nice to have an iPad I think and I think DH would also use it.

Thanks for all your input, now I will find either an Apple store or a store that carries all 3 and decide. I don't have to but it immediately so I do have time to give it some thought.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1310146805|2964799 said:
dragonfly411|1310144020|2964756 said:

I did not know that! Thanks. I just read the cnet reviews and am leaning heavily towards the iPad2

There is a free Kindle app for ipad and iphones! I think they allow it because a lot of people still buy the kindle anyways due to the way it is made to be healthier/ easier on the eyes (I still got one lol), but if they offer the free app they are still making money by selling you books!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Just ordered my ipad because this lit a fire under my butt :)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
manderz|1310270294|2965816 said:
Just ordered my ipad because this lit a fire under my butt :)

You have to let me know how you like it when you get it. I need to go look at one possibly this week.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm typing this on my iPad, so that's my vote lol

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
fleur-de-lis|1310142464|2964737 said:
Thanks to my guy's inability to resist any new technology, we have 3 of the 4 in our house (ipad, ipod touch, kindle). The kindle is excellent for its limited purpose, but the ipad has a combined functionality which blows the rest away by a large margin.

Totally agree with this. I have the Kindle and an iPad, and I find I end up preferring the iPad for simplicity's sake - one device that does everything the others do and more.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1310160527|2965007 said:
I don't like the iPad. Mostly it's because I'm a touch typist, and you can't type like that on them.

Lyra, I'm a touch-typist as well, so I picked up the wireless keyboard for the ipad. SUPER lightweight, pairs via bluetooth, and makes it WAY easy to use.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would buy a kindle. I am toying with the idea of selling my iPod touch on Craigslist to buy a kindle guilt free. I steal dh's kindle 3rd generation kindle on a regular basis and its fantastic. The battery lasts for a month without charging, the screen is super easy on the eyes, and you can read emberassing books in public without anyone knowing! I haven't used the iPod touch in months and I know buying it was a mistake for me given my needs.

Eta: I haven't noticed a lag when turning pages on the kindle 3, but have hear that it was an issue with older models.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results