shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were going to change jobs/careers, what would it be..

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Along with the "Do you really like your job thread"...I thought it'd be interesting to hear if you were going to change jobs or careers what it would be...

I was originally a classical musician, but for the past 7 years have worked in sponsorship, fundraising, and internal strategy for cultural organizations and am currently getting an MBA as well.

I like what I do, but want to be in charge :Up_to_something:

My next major career move/goal is to be an executive director and/or a consultant for a well-known firm specializing in non-profit strategy.

But, there is always a small (or not so small :cheeky: ) part of me that is contemplating changing careers entirely to either have my own small business or to be a teacher/college professor.

Now that I am a mom, I am trying to figure out what will best support my family, be intellectually stimulating and meaningful to me, and give me the work/life balance that I very much desire...

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Re: If you were going to change jobs/careers, what would it

If I were to change careers, I think I'd want to do something medical related, but not a doctor. I think the main reason is because I could help my family much more tangibly than I can in my current career (office job, staring at a computer all day).

My dream job? Travel show hostess. I get to fly around the world, being PAID to be a tourist and spending other people's money. I would love doing that. I'd write a blog about all the places I've been to, learn some kick ass photography skills and get paid to be on vacation. :) And yes, I realize this is all in my head, but that's why they call it a dream job, right?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I suppose I wouldn't mind being royalty.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

lliang-I love it! travel show hostess would be awesome!

kenny-sigh...I wouldn't mind being royalty, or just have a giant trust fund, either :cheeky:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

If I could, I would totally walk away from my current job (which I enjoy well enough!) and open my own wedding planning business. I loved planning my wedding, and I love helping others plan THEIRS. If only I could get paid for it! I also wouldn't mind working on-staff at an events venue and helping each client to personalize their event.

My DREAM job, though, is right there with LC: I would love to switch places with Samantha Brown.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In my dreams, if I could change back the clock and do it all over again, I'd *love* to do a PhD in mathematics and be a maths professor at a well-known / top notch university. However, as teaching doesn't pay very well, this would remain in my dreams, aka dreams whereby I'd inherit a trust fund so I wouldn't have to worry about money, and just do what I'd really like to do.

As of now, I'm considering a career change into Private Banking. This would mean a cut in salary, but I would still def consider it. I've been thinking about this for a few years now and would love to get a chance to do it. I mean I love money, am pretty good at handling money and I'd get plenty of training / be sent on plenty of courses on how to manage money and make money grow. On top of that, I'd get to nose around at clients' money/ assets and be able to help them grow their wealth. Wouldn't that be the GREATEST job EVER?! :wink2: :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would be a full-time writer.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

Dream job = full time gardener :love:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock

Broadway star.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

If I had to switch careers tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I'd go back for some kind of finance/accounting degree. I really enjoy using spreadsheets. :cheeky:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

In my dream world, I'd be an artist. In my head, I can draw and paint but it never translates onto paper or canvas. I wish I had a talent for it.

If I had to change jobs for real though, I have no idea what I'd do. I've already changed careers once, and I'm not hoping for a repeat.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mine would be to retire :wink2:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

You may laugh, but I want to open a liquor store. The only ones in my county are lockers inside 7-11 (in a college town, no less!). I think it'd make a killing and I'd give up my long commute.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

Porridge|1319484562|3046792 said:
Broadway star.

Me too!!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jewelry artist

OR

jazz singer.

Working on the first, had (may still have) the chops for the second, but I'm meh about being front and center, and I just can't bring myself to like the late-night bar life....

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock

I would open a tiny but beautiful patisserie and make whatever suited my mood or whims. Obviously as this is in my head, it would lead to a terribly chic but useless cookery show in which I assembled various delicacies whilst draped over a Kitchenaid and dressed for a cocktail party. :bigsmile:

Octavia

Ideal_Rock

I'd do some kind of science degree that would allow me to get an active research job -- traipsing around fields or forests or standing in streams in a pair of wellies for a good chunk of the workweek sounds like a dream. I really want an intellectual job that doesn't chain me behind a computer so much.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

bee*|1319492372|3046854 said:
Porridge|1319484562|3046792 said:
Broadway star.

Me too!!

This would be my backup plan.

Oh! I just remembered...DH and I want to retire from our jobs someday and spend our retirement as owners of a B&B. Between his amazing hashbrowns and my rockin' french toast, as well as our love of hospitality, I'm pretty sure we'd have the best place in town! But if we could start now, that would be amazing, too.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

I work for the federal government but would love to work with an adoption agency. I almost applied for a State Dept. adoptions job but don't think I would have been qualified.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

George Clooney's wife. Long application process methinks, and challenging work; but worth it??? :naughty: :saint: :D

cheers--Sharon

moosemom

Shiny_Rock

by Lottie UK » 24 Oct 2011 16:00
I would open a tiny but beautiful patisserie and make whatever suited my mood or whims. Obviously as this is in my head, it would lead to a terribly chic but useless cookery show in which I assembled various delicacies whilst draped over a Kitchenaid and dressed for a cocktail party.

This would sooooo be my pick too!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

I'd open a cafe/patisserie/wine bar/pet boutique/gallery/retro furniture store. That's my dream job... I'd have a Yappy Hour where you bring your yappy dog (I have two :D ) and socialize with whine and whatever fun pastry/desert I'd whip up. The hubster could arrange all the cool furniture we'd have and sell it right out from under our diners :D. But I'm sure there's loads of health codes I'd be breaking :LOL:

But tonight, sitting at work with what will probably become a sinus infection, I'd settle for a cashier at Aldi's. They have a cushy chair and as far as I know all they do is cashier. No stocking, no major cleaning, not a lot of other responsibilities.

Heck - That may be my job after I retire in 12 years.

Sha

Ideal_Rock

If I could, I'd love to work in nature. Probably something like gardening or working with animals. :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I am living through a career change right now.

I graduated college with an engineering degree, I have worked in one of the most prestigious mismanagement consulting firms, done free lancing consulting work for Fortune 500 firms and led a very large operational change project. And I was desperately unhappy. I hated the petty bickering, back stabbing and saving face maneuvers I saw in every one of those jobs. I hated how people were treated and how people looked askance at those who did not fit the norm, no matter how competent.

So, after a particularly bad situation, I left. My original plan was to take a one year sabbatical before getting another job leading a strategic planning team, market intelligence or back in consulting. However, it didn't work out that way. Over the months, I came to see how unhappy I was. I realized that I did not want to go back to that life at all. So I decided to take a plunge. I stopped looking for a job and started thinking how else I could earn my living.

Today, I focus on my jewelry work. I hope to one day develop enough of a brand and business to live off this exclusively. For now, however, my income comes from tutoring (I found out that I love working one on one with teenagers!), translating and actively investing my money (I was always a saver and the years in business paid off in investment acumen). Of course, money is a lot tighter than it ever was when I worked as a manager in a large company. And, sometimes, it is awkward to tell former colleagues what I do now (because there is still some competitive corners of my mind that see it as a step down in my professional and social standing).

Is my life as a designer and maker of jewelry perfect? Of course not. I love what I do, but there are days when the solder won't run or the bezel won't close. There are clients who drive me nuts. But there is also a lot of satisfaction in holding a finished piece, perhaps simple in design but as near perfect in execution as I can get it. Or in hearing from a client that they are in love with their wedding ring.

So, my advice is: go for it. Plan ahead, identify what you need to do to get to your dream career and go for it. Even if it is too late for most of us to become Broadway stars (which I would love to be as well), then what is it in showbiz that attracts you and that you can excel at?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

I'd love to be a jeweller too. Sigh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would love to run a non profit animal shelter like the Peace Plantation in upstate NY and work with animals all day. Of course I would need to be independently wealthy to do this properly but oh, would I love to be able to do this. A place where the animals could run free and have plenty of space, food and love.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

If I were to retire, I'd want to start a goat farm and sell goat cheese and have local farm table dinners. My sister wants to run a vineyard, so we'll do farm table/winery house dinners and have fresh goat cheese and awesome wine. That's my retirement gig. I still want to be a travel show hostess. :)

~LC

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade

My dream job would involve working with animals- especially marine mammals. They make me happy! :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lady_Disdain|1319529183|3047136 said:
I am living through a career change right now.

I graduated college with an engineering degree, I have worked in one of the most prestigious mismanagement consulting firms, done free lancing consulting work for Fortune 500 firms and led a very large operational change project. And I was desperately unhappy. I hated the petty bickering, back stabbing and saving face maneuvers I saw in every one of those jobs. I hated how people were treated and how people looked askance at those who did not fit the norm, no matter how competent.

So, after a particularly bad situation, I left. My original plan was to take a one year sabbatical before getting another job leading a strategic planning team, market intelligence or back in consulting. However, it didn't work out that way. Over the months, I came to see how unhappy I was. I realized that I did not want to go back to that life at all. So I decided to take a plunge. I stopped looking for a job and started thinking how else I could earn my living.

Today, I focus on my jewelry work. I hope to one day develop enough of a brand and business to live off this exclusively. For now, however, my income comes from tutoring (I found out that I love working one on one with teenagers!), translating and actively investing my money (I was always a saver and the years in business paid off in investment acumen). Of course, money is a lot tighter than it ever was when I worked as a manager in a large company. And, sometimes, it is awkward to tell former colleagues what I do now (because there is still some competitive corners of my mind that see it as a step down in my professional and social standing).

Is my life as a designer and maker of jewelry perfect? Of course not. I love what I do, but there are days when the solder won't run or the bezel won't close. There are clients who drive me nuts. But there is also a lot of satisfaction in holding a finished piece, perhaps simple in design but as near perfect in execution as I can get it. Or in hearing from a client that they are in love with their wedding ring.

So, my advice is: go for it. Plan ahead, identify what you need to do to get to your dream career and go for it. Even if it is too late for most of us to become Broadway stars (which I would love to be as well), then what is it in showbiz that attracts you and that you can excel at?
I love this post. You're an inspiration, LadyD.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

If I could I would just go to school part time forever. Learn about all the things I'm interested in.

If we get the gym as planned the end of the year I'll be working on fitness related training and working there.

In my dreams, I'd like to have an animal shelter, no kill. And I'd like to do something for abused/neglected kids..I don't know what..but something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results