shape
carat
color
clarity

If you only have $2500 for an E-ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
...what will give you the best bang for the buck? What would you go for in terms of cuts & ring setting?

Assume no RBs...cuz imho they''re way too popular.
25.gif
Your opinions are much appreciated.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 11:31:25 AM
Author:DiamondFlame
...what will give you the best bang for the buck? What would you go for in terms of cuts & ring setting?

25.gif
I would look for the best cut oval or pear I could find, I or J colour and SI clarity ( GIA graded) and verified eyeclean by the vendor. I would go for a simple solitaire setting in gold with a 2mm band to make the diamond pop!

Thats what I would choose anyway!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 11:35:18 AM
Author: Lorelei

25.gif

I would look for the best cut oval or pear I could find, I or J colour and SI clarity ( GIA graded) and verified eyeclean by the vendor. I would go for a simple solitaire setting in gold with a 2mm band to make the diamond pop!

ditto I would even possibly look for a K colour as well.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Lower colors look yellower in fancy (non-round) cuts. If you want a white diamond, you can go lower in color, and hence cheaper, with rounds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pear...that being said...rounds are popular for a reason. A good cut one will sparkle like crazy!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I''m considering cushion cuts. Will J or K look too yellow in them?
And my GF loves vintage styles so plain gold bands are out..
7.gif

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Get the best cut you can with a color grade of J or better and clarity grade of SI2 (eyeclean) or better.

The shape is your choice.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2009 12:14:04 PM
Author: DiamondFlame
I''m considering cushion cuts. Will J or K look too yellow in them?

7.gif

Well, if your GF loves vintage styles ... go vintage! You''ll find numerous beautiful antique rings out there if you search: the bulk of them in your price range will probably be rounds, but there are some great vintage styles out there that play with the shape (fishtail prongs, octagonal settings, etc.) that you might want to consider. Off to work now, but will post some links later, if the rest of the board doesn''t beat me to it!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Is it your intention to get a diamond solitaire or are you open to multi-stone rings or other gem stone [like sapphire] rings?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 12:14:04 PM
I'm considering cushion cuts. Will J or K look too yellow in them?

7.gif

Cushions face up smaller than rounds, ovals, or pears of similar carat weight.

I like Lorelei's suggestion of an oval or pear for size, but warmth can be an issue with those cuts in lower colors.

Cushions in larger sizes can show color in the J-K range, but may not as much in the size you'd be looking at. A cushion on a nice engraved band may give the vintage feel she likes within your budget.

ETA: If she likes vintage, would you consider an old cut like an old european cut, transitional, or old mine cut?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Here are some examples--near you budget--of old cuts in vintage rings. The stones are round in basic shape, but the facet pattern of old euros and transitionals is very unique.

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2052/

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2362/

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2204/

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2303/

eta: also, if you think you might want to upgrade in the future (as many of us have done) it's best to choose a well cut stone from a vendor with a 100% upgrade policy. Not everyone is keen on upgrading, and in that case, an actual antique/vintage ring might be right up your alley.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
antique is a great way to go - newyorkestatejewelry.com also has some.
If you think you might want to upgrade - then perhaps go with Whiteflash and follow the above advise on color/clarity.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
yeah I figured RBs will face up larger than cushions but she finds the cut too common among her peers; where we're from, everyone seems to sport H&As...
20.gif

Thanks for the links, Coati. Interesting range indeed..!

While I am a fan of colored gems/diamonds, she prefers a white diamond for E-ring so here I am.. another 'lost' newbie. Heh.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
You're very welcome.

Dover Jewelry also has a few rings in your range.

Do you think she is more interested in a modern cushion in a vintage style setting?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would poke around looking for antique rings, for sure.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, she likes micropave, milgrains, sidestones, etc... so more like vintage-style, I guess. No so much into plain solitaires..
1.gif

I like the antique looks of http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/engagement_rings_under_5k/vintage_diamond_engagement_platinum_ring.html

but has concerns over the quality of the cut...and that it's another RB.

Motownmama, newyorkestatejewelry has some really nice collections. I am tempted. But aren't estate jewelry 2nd hand items? I wonder how a woman might feel about getting 'someone else's old ring'? Think m getting a headache juz looking at the options..
14.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
James Allen has some nice looking cushions (though, I'm not an expert- you'd have to ask JA about the performance of these stones) and a few antique-looking settings you might consider.

For example, this stone may be nice:

.60 ct G, SI1 Cushion $1240 ($1130 with PS discount)

Hopefully others who know more about cushions can chime in with suggestions.

Settings:

Common Prong Setting $600

Antique-style Bezel Pave Setting $675

Pave-Set Engagement Ring $1040

Three-Sided Pave Engagement Ring $1275

E B

Ideal_Rock

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_and_reproduction_rings

there''s a .65ct transitional cut for half your budget...

or you can email them and they can find exactly what you''re looking for. both erica and grace are extremely nice and helpful

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 1:27:36 PM
Yeah, she likes micropave, milgrains, sidestones, etc... so more like vintage-style, I guess. No so much into plain solitaires..
1.gif

I like the antique looks of http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/engagement_rings_under_5k/vintage_diamond_engagement_platinum_ring.html

but has concerns over the quality of the cut...and that it''s another RB.

Yah, I''m not keen on that one either. If I was going vintage, I''d get an oec, tran, or omc. That rb looks poorly cut.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Everyone!

My experience is that many cushions in the lower depth ranges have a larger appearance than round diamonds of the same weight.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
EBree, i have considered that particular combo from JA. It is definitely nice but a little over the budget if I choose the preferred pave setting. And I have a problem judging a ring based on stylised animations.

David, yes I hv seen cushions with face up sizes comparable to that of RBs.

Let me see if I can put together her preferences based on my 'undercover work':

'white', clear center diamond
non-round center but not Princess cut
good sparkle
not a plain band but preferably pave set or sidestones
design quality: elegant, vintage, timeless

...and she specifically asked me not to spend too much on it.. lolz.

My preferences:
large-looking, but well cut & eye clean center
pave bands or sidestones in platinum
Halo style esp one that leaves a little airstrip btw centerstone and halo
Within budget.

Thank you so much to everyone who has been so helpful. I will be looking at the various options..

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here's a Beverly K Cushion Halo for $1150 in WG (a halo in platinum is going to be almost impossible to find within budget with anything left for a diamond):

Beverly K Halo, Cushion

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You've gotten many suggestions. Here's another. Why not spend $2K on an nice stone and simple setting and plan on upgrading the setting in a year or so. If your gf likes a fancy setting with side stones/pave/halo you'll be spending most of your budget on the setting which probably won't be usable if you ever get a larger center stone.

You can save up for a fancy setting for a special anniversary.

I like this one too. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=342

It's a decent size, beautiful cut, PS discount, upgradeable. Sent off to WF for a simple setting---and you are at budget!

And do understand that a well cut J can look pretty white to most people. Of course compared side by side with an F it will show warmth. But once set most of the well-cut warmer colors look very good and are perfect when budgets are tight.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-50ct-cushion-in-split-shank-halo-ring-18kt-white-gold

Blingy, under budget, not the most vintage-y but sort of has that "feel" anyway.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 11:35:18 AM
Author: Lorelei

25.gif

Ditto Lorelei!! My first thought was a nice chunky facet oval!!
36.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like some of the designs on antiqueengagementrings.com (no experience with the vendor though):

Not a halo, but non-round stone and just over budget

Halo-ish, close to budget, round stone but an OEC rather than modern RB

Another pretty Asscher, similar to the first

Round diamond (looks nicely cut from first pic) but really cool halo-ish setting

(Note that the Asschers here aren't the best cut quality; their tables are larger than what our resident Asscher expert would call "kicken.")

Good luck! I also really like the Erica Grace ring someone pointed out...so much that I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Those rings on antiqueengagementrings.com are so lovely. Nice picks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results