shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had to go on vacation in August....

candy

Rough_Rock
...where would you go?

I'm looking for a fun vacation destination for the second half of August. Either a beach, a city, or a hiking adventure. If you had to pick one spot in the word, where would it be?

(I'm asking about August specifically because it's a bit tricky due to weather and other factors.)

candy

Rough_Rock
I'll answer my own question first. Today I'm leaning toward Hawaii. Yesterday I thought Aruba sounded pretty good.

I reluctantly ruled out the following:
Caribbean (hurricanes)
Costa Rica (rainy season)
Argentina (winter)
Spain or France (everyone is on vacation)

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
The Pacific Northwest is glorious in August. Everything is green, the sun shines bright, and it's not too hot. Depending on your interests, Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; or Vancouver, British Columbia are all worth a visit.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second the Pacific Northwest because August is our nicest month. The weather is good but not too hot and not too humid. We have cities, beaches AND hiking so you don't have to choose. You can do all three.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think you would like San Diego! With average temperatures in the mid 70's and nary a cloud in the sky.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the others who have suggested the Pacific Northwest. Also San Francisco.
For a hiking vacation in Europe, I'd suggest the Dolomites region in northern Italy (the weather can be warm, but it's also the "sunny side" of the Alps").
I spent a great two weeks in Scotland in August, touring the Outer Hebrides Islands -- gorgeous hiking, but take midge protection!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Lula|1308622618|2950727 said:
Ditto the others who have suggested the Pacific Northwest. Also San Francisco.

This! San Francisco would be my number one choice. Alaska, Seattle or Vancouver would be next on my list.

As far as dreamy destinations:

The Pacific Islands sound really great also! Hawaii, Tahiti or French Polynesia.

I love the Caribbean, but August is REALLY WARM and humid! We got married in August in the Dominican Republic and while it was beautiful, it was very hot and very humid. A year later, we went to the Maldives for our honeymoon also in August, and it was completely different! It was still warm, but it felt wonderful and dry. So, I definitely recommend the Pacific side of things.

Oh! What about Cabo San Lucas? We are headed there for our 2nd Anniversary this year and we hear it can be downright cold in the evenings...

Enjoy your vacation and come back with pictures!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go to Iceland...
We once took a boat trip to Alaska and it was quite nice. End of August.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1308621427|2950697 said:
I think you would like San Diego! With average temperatures in the mid 70's and nary a cloud in the sky.

If you have to vacation in August, go to San Diego.
If you have to vacation in January, go to San Diego.
Heck, if you have to vacation in any month that has at least 28 days, go to San Diego. Get my drift?

Seriously, San Diego is the most perfect place on earth. I live in the Bay Area, which is beautiful in itself, but I have such huge San Diego envy. I need to live there eventually.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
rainwood|1308619497|2950673 said:
I second the Pacific Northwest because August is our nicest month. The weather is good but not too hot and not too humid. We have cities, beaches AND hiking so you don't have to choose. You can do all three.
Kodiak Island, Alaska, is an amazing experience.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1308634960|2950849 said:

Heck, if you have to vacation in any month that has at least 28 days, go to San Diego. Get my drift?

Seriously, San Diego is the most perfect place on earth. I live in the Bay Area, which is beautiful in itself, but I have such huge San Diego envy. I need to live there eventually.

I just don't get the whole San Diego thing. Why do you like it so much. It just seems like another big city to me, albeit, one with
a beach. We live about 100 miles away but never go there unless we have to.

I stayed in Escondido for about 5 months a few years ago but it wasn't for fun. Maybe that is why, but I just don''t see the draw.

I would love to hear what you love about it and why you want to go again and again.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Go to Italy. Along the way, make a pit stop here in Florida so you can take me with you. ;-)

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
The Canadian Rockies =) banff, lake louise, jasper are all amazing in the summer, and theres a lot of great hiking, from easy to difficult, to tea houses, to gorgeous alpine lakes, its just amazing :love:

fairmont_chateau_lake_louise.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Others have said these but I'll toss in my votes for them as well: San Francisco, Canada, and the Pacific Northwest. I'll also add that my family always vacations at a resort in northern Minnesota in August and it's awesome. It's generally not as hot, but the lakes have had all summer to warm up. You are probably looking for somewhere more posh than a cabin in the North Woods, though. :wink2:

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1308666600|2950984 said:
Go to Italy. Along the way, make a pit stop here in Florida so you can take me with you. ;-)

Italy is HOT in August!!!!!!!!!! Like Africa hot.

I think New England would be a nice destination.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PNW!

August is PERFECT here --- not too hot, not too cold, lots of green!

Also, as mentioned earlier, you don't have to choose! We have beaches -- lakes, rivers, and ocean! All the hiking you could ever want. Seattle. (you said city!)
You can also choose from rainforest to desert and everything in between..... but why choose??? A few days on the peninsula hiking and enjoying beaches then off to a few days in Seattle for city life then a few days over in Grant County for a more desert like experience!

Leavenworth. (If you aren't familiar --- GOOGLE!!!) ETA: LEAVENWORTH!
Grand Coulee Dam. (laser light show, tours, neat little craft booths) ETA: LINK
Ho Rainforest. ETA: PRETTY!
Seattle.
I-90 (or better still HWY 2) from Seattle to Leavenworth (full of waterfalls & hiking!)

If you like wine --- Cave B Estate Winery (they have hotel & food... both awesome! OOooo plus a spa AND hiking into the gorge along the river) WINE!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Santa Cruz.
beach and beach boardwalk for the kids.
wine tasting for the adults.
day trip to SF or Carmel.

would also depend on how long you'd be on vacation.........

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1308666411|2950982 said:
I just don't get the whole San Diego thing. Why do you like it so much. It just seems like another big city to me, albeit, one with

I stayed in Escondido for about 5 months a few years ago but it wasn't for fun. Maybe that is why, but I just don''t see the draw.

I would love to hear what you love about it and why you want to go again and again.

Escondido is pretty dry and there's not a whole lot to do, plus it's pretty far inland. I think when people mention San Diego, they're usually referring to the coastline from La Jolla thru downtown, and possibly up thru Carlsbad. I lived in La Jolla for 5 years and loved it, it's paradise compared to Los Angeles! (where i live now)

There's a lot to do: beaches, parks, museums, fantastic restaurants, theme parks, zoo, biking, hiking, kayaking, surfing, and some awesome shopping.

candy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the great suggestions, and keep 'em coming! A surprising number of people voted for the Pacific NW, which is funny because one of my original ideas was a trip to Vancouver/Seattle/Portland. Iceland and Alaska have crossed my mind as well, but my husband vetoed them. We go to an island in New England every summer, but it didn't work out this year. I do love it up there, though!

DH is pushing for Maui, which would be great except that our last big vacation was to Kauai. And I am wanting something a bit more exotic since this might be the last hurrah before we start a family. I envy people who are decisive about where they want to go on vacation! Booking plane tickets seems so... final.

And crasru, I've gotta mention that I love the kitty in your avatar. Reminds me of my sweet little cat! Is yours a Russian Blue?

candy

Rough_Rock
Ooh, ForteKity, that looks like my dream vacation. Unfortunately our dates are inflexible and we can't take much more than a week off work, so flying there from the east coast would be impractical. But I have a goal to someday traipse around French Polynesia for at least a month!!! :love:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If i only have a week, i'd go to Maui or Big Island. We just got back from Maui 2 weeks ago, and it was a ton of fun. Swam w/ soooo many turtles by Makena Beach, and Haleakala was amazing. Too bad we can't post videos here.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I spent the last week of August one year in Estes Park, Colorado, where Rocky Mountain National Park is. It was beautiful. Warm, but not hot during the day and crisp, cool once the sun went down. I remember the pilot on the plane on the way home welcoming everyone to D/FW "where it's a balmy 112 degrees." The whole plane groaned.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1308666600|2950984 said:

Do not ever think of going to Italy in August.

First it is incredibly HOT
Secondly, the whole of Italy shuts for August. Literally, companies shut for 4 weeks and everyone goes away to the coast. So there are no shops, no restaurants or anything open except in major tourist centres or at the seaside - where it will be impossible to find anywhere to stay as all the Italians are there!

Trust me, I lived and worked there for 8 years.

Italy is great in May, June, September and October... before May it rains all the time and after October it's chilly. Winter in places like Tuscany is freezing (-10 C easily).

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the pacific nw and San Fran on the west coast. On the east coast... Asheville, NC hiking and mountain biking are fun and it is cool at night and warm during the day. Very pretty in the mountains. Several small quaint cities close by to visit and the Biltmore Estate.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

I've been living here since I came to go to one of the universities here around 15 years ago. I wouldn't call Escondido a fine example of what San Diego is like. Escondido is hot and deserty and well, a bit gritty in some parts.
People like that San Diego has one of the best climates (if not the best climate in the US), that there's lots to do in the way of amusement parks, events, and attractions. It's a relatively relaxed place to live and despite it's location, is fairly down to earth. The beaches are the best part, both stunning and scenic. I'm actually from L.A and I find the two areas to be wildly different even though they're so close together.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Cape May, NJ
Nantucket (or anywhere on Cape Cod)
Belize (that's where we're going in August!)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I'm heading to Norway in August, I'm super excited! There are lots of festivals at that time of year, the days will still be long, and the weather looks like it will be temperate. Perfect for hiking, biking, and exploring the fjords :))

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1308708562|2951596 said:
People like that San Diego has one of the best climates (if not the best climate in the US), that there's lots to do in the way of amusement parks, events, and attractions. It's a relatively relaxed place to live and despite it's location, is fairly down to earth. The beaches are the best part, both stunning and scenic. I'm actually from L.A and I find the two areas to be wildly different even though they're so close together.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It doesn't actually have a big-city feel, more of a sprawling suburb, but there's still a ton of stuff to do. The climate is awesome, and that's my primary draw. The beaches are unbelievable. I spent a month there in med school, lived on Mt. Soledad and drove down the hill to UCSD every day. The views on that morning drive were breathtaking.

Also, I was born there, but rudely yanked out by my parents at the tender age of less than one. :(sad So While I don't remember living there, it will always feel like home to me.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock

To answer the OP...Tulum, Mexico...oh wait I am going there in August. Also, don't rule out the carib because of hurricanes. The chance one will hit the place you visit is very highly unlikely. Don't go to the CA cities either because of earthquakes then or midwest because of tornadoes, etc..

Wow...it is weird to see my hometown Escondido mentioned on this board. It is a freaking sh*thole to me, BUT San Diego is amazing. If Esco is your point of reference for all of SD, you should have gotten out more. Try Encinatas, Del Mar, or any of the other beach cities and they are night and day and yes one of the best places on earth. I live in the bay now and miss the beach a bit but I think I was always a norcal girl.

If I was travelling in August...I would get the hell out of the country!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results