shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had a budget of $500 or less, what blue sapphire would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I have a pretty limited budget, but I would really love to get a blue sapphire to mount in a ring. My stone budget is $500 or less. I have seen some stones at Simply Sapphires that may be contenders, and at the Natural Sapphire Company, but I''m still not sure.

I prefer the medium-darker shades of blue -- esp. the royal blues. I am ambivalent about the shape of the stone, but I would like something at least 5.5 mm, if possible.

Heat treatment is okay with me, but that''s the only treatment I''m comfortable with.

This is a bit of a scavenger hunt, but I have seen you all make some incredible finds... So, my question is this: If you had my budget, what sapphire would you purchase?

Any and all help/posts are much appreciated!

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Both of those are stunning, mercoledi! Thanks so much for the response.

I emailed Dan Stair, and he said he had several inquiries about the first sapphire and it may not be available any more. I have asked Rick Martin to send me some additional photos of the second stone you suggested... It may be a winner!

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Something about this stone intrigues me:

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecns232a-sm.html

I also like this one, but it may be too dark in real life:

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecns216a-sm.html

And, finally, this one:

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2005/blueons162-sm.html

I have an email in to Simply Sapphires with some questions... Hopefully I''ll hear back soon!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi beat me to the Dan Stair one, LOL.

I''ll keep my eyes open for you.
4.gif

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, geckodani and mercoledi! You all are good at this!

I love the cushiony stone you attached, mercoledi! That purple is absolutely regal too... I really need to talk with someone at Simply Sapphires! Maybe I''ll try to give them a call when I get finished with work.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I really like the one that Dan on his website, also. Its PURDY!

stacy

Shiny_Rock
mochi, that Dan Stair sapphire is gorgeous...

I keep going back to that sapphire at Art Cut Gems though, and Rick Martin has been sooooo nice and responsive in his emails...

I''ll have to sleep on it! I still haven''t heard from Simply Sapphires either.

Next thing you know, I''ll be asking for everyone''s help choosing a setting! (It will have to be a solitaire, as inexpensive as possible but still nice!)
31.gif

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Well, I just wanted to let you all know I chose the sapphire from art cut gems... The color just spoke to me, I really liked Rick''s emails and I like the fact that it''s a native cut (I know that makes me odd!).

Now on to the next item... How should I set this baby?!

I want to use 14k white gold, and I am on a budget. I would love to keep it at $400 or under... The stone''s measurements are 6.9 x 6.3 x 3.5. It''s a roval!

Can you all help a sparkly sister out... again?!

stacysapphire1.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
stacy- I was actually checking out that stone as my mom''s potential Christmas gift (but ended up getting one from Barry). The color looks great! Settings, hmm... sounds like probably something simple? Are you planning on a ring?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Yay!! Congratulations, Stacy. The sapphire is beautiful, the blue is so vivid and love the cut. Isn''t Rick the nicest guy. He is so helpful and explains things so well. I go to his web site eveyday to see what new things he has listed (really, more than once a day!). I''ve been looking at his garnets and waiting for new ones to be posted.

About the setting, what syle are you after? Halo or no?

mimi

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, icekid and mochi! I''m glad I didn''t swipe your mom''s Christmas gift, icekid!
9.gif

I''m really excited about the color of the stone, and I felt super comfortable buying from Rick. His emails made it seem like he really loves this stone, and I think that''s nice.

I want to set it in a ring -- 14k white gold solitaire. Rick said that a 7mm round setting would probably work for this stone (as long as it''s a prong setting). I don''t want a halo (mostly because I can''t afford one and I want to have something simple I can wear daily because this will be my primary e-ring).

I love the look of double prongs and claw prongs...

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
I love double claw prongs on a sapphire. It will look amazing!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh yay! You have to post more pictures of that baby, I''m dying to see more of the color! How about this setting from JA? It''s classic and simple, but I don''t know if they ca do double prongs. This monster is on super-sale, but is reaalllly tall.

Congrats, it''s beautiful!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, Danielle! I love the look of double prongs too!

And I really like both of the settings you posted, mercoledi! I want to "meet" the stone in person before I make any final decisions about the setting of course... But I just *KNOW* I''m going to love it. I''ll be sure to post pics of the stone in different kinds of light once I get it. My fingers are crossed that I''ll get it Saturday, but I''m not holding my breath!

Lauren, I do like that halo setting, and I have admired your OEC a lot. As much as I like your OEC though, your colored stone collection really makes my heart race... And your e-ring? It''s one of my all-time Pricescope faves. I''ve been thinking about LOTGR settings, and it may be time to try one...

Thanks for all of your help! I am still open to suggestions!
28.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 8:47:55 PM
Author: stacy
Thanks so much, Danielle! I love the look of double prongs too!

And I really like both of the settings you posted, mercoledi! I want to ''meet'' the stone in person before I make any final decisions about the setting of course... But I just *KNOW* I''m going to love it. I''ll be sure to post pics of the stone in different kinds of light once I get it. My fingers are crossed that I''ll get it Saturday, but I''m not holding my breath!

Lauren, I do like that halo setting, and I have admired your OEC a lot. As much as I like your OEC though, your colored stone collection really makes my heart race... And your e-ring? It''s one of my all-time Pricescope faves. I''ve been thinking about LOTGR settings, and it may be time to try one...

Thanks for all of your help! I am still open to suggestions!
28.gif
Stacy, thanks so much for your kind words, dear! Your lovely sapphire has me on a hunt for a perfect blue sapphire, myself.

Just thought I would throw that auction out there since I rarely see it listed that low.

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so I got the sapphire from Rick and even though it is gorgeous, it''s just not "me." I think I wanted something darker, really, and the window bothered me a little (even though it is very small).

So, I''ve sent it back and once I get my refund, I will be ready to start looking and try again.

What do you all think of this sapphire from Paraiba International? It''s in my budget and I know it''s dark, but I like dark...

My question is, do you all think it will be too dark when set?

Thanks so much for all your help!

stacysapphireoption2.jpg

stacy

Shiny_Rock
And here''s another option I was looking at. It''s a gemrite and the photo is from there (John B.). It''s a little bit over my budget at $520, but I can swing that. It''s a slight color change from purple to blue. I emailed him with questions about it... What do you all think? This one or the one from Paraiba?

stacysapphireoption3.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I like them both, the one from Paraiba does seem dark, it would need to be one I would need to see in person. The color is great. And I am partial towards rounds. Overall, that is my favorite of the 2 if it does not black out in a setting.

I love the purple one is well, The color is really nice if you are after a purple sapphire. But if you really want a royal blue, I would keep looking.

Could you have them sent in and return the one you don't like?

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Ltlfirecracker!

I thought before I chose either of those stones, I would email Barry Bridgestock and see if he had anything I might like. He sent me pics of a small (5.4 mm) unheated Nigerian sapphire, and I think it may be the one! I should get it next week.

I''ve already decided if this is "my" stone (and I really have a feeling it will be), I am going to set it in the Artcarved "Dahlia" setting in palladium.

What do you all think?

stacyssapphirebybarry1.jpg

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the setting. It''s called Dahlia by Artcarved, and I will have a local jeweler set it.

stacy1artcarved.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that BB looks great! Very lively!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the faceting of that stone. It looks to be like an OEC. I hope you love it in person. It will be lovely in that setting. Please post lots of pics!

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much mercoledi and cushioncutnut! (I have been drooling over your anniversary ring, by the way...
3.gif
)

I am excited about the faceting too. From the photo, the stone looks like it's a nice color and the facets look chunky and beautiful, to me. I really hope it's the one... Even though the stone is just .81 carats (5.4 mm), I think it's a great size for an engagement ring for me and I really like that Artcarved setting... I have my grandmother's old e-ring and it's an Artcarved too.
36.gif

I won't have the stone til the end of next week, so it will likely be at least two or three weeks before I have the finished product in hand should I decide to keep this stone. I'll be sure yo keep all of you updated as I go.

Thanks for all your help!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Stacy,

That BB cut is gorgeous! I can''t wait to see the final product...please post pics when you get the stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results