shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had 9k to spend on a diamond, what would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
what size diamond? cut? clarity? color??
My dream diamond for 9,000 is:
1b very good to excellent cut
G
vs2
2- 1/4 ct side diamonds
platinum ring

Thinks thats possible for around 9k????

javasnow

Rough_Rock
For what it's worth, you just described the ring I just bought almost exactly. I paid about that with sales tax included.

The diamond was actually a little larger (1.63, VS2, G, round brilliant), but it came with the lightly regarded EGL certification (LA location). The side stones added up to only 1/3ct, but I also had it set in Platinum. I saw the diamond in person before buying and it looked great. Its HCA score was within my own requirements (it was a 2). Personally, I think I got a great deal at a store I was very comforatable buying from.

It took me six weeks to find it though...

So, I'd say that what you want is definitely possible based on the fact that I did something similar myself. In any case - good luck!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can get a 3 stone setting for around $700 if you just shop around. go unbranded and its much cheaper. that said..here is what I would buy if I had the entire $9k for the stone (and just got a $200 plat solitaire setting) or was actually constrained to $8k for the center.

1.3 G SI1 NiceIce AGS 0 gorgeous hand-chosen by NI stone--if I was going for ideal around $8k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2625470079&category=15183

1.64 H VS2 GoodOldGold larger table, shallower depth stone...would take your entire $9k plus a little more but this thing looks pretty darn good!!!! little light leakage too and its BIIIGGGG with spread. reminds me of my little charmer...Jonathan doesn't carry icky stones
2.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_64ct_h_vs2.htm

1.52 H SI1-- this one has some potential, AGS 0, though would get more info, pix, cert copies and plug #'s into HCA--around $8k
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1391165&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

As you can see, NF, your original stone is not so bad. These are your other options. If your original stone speaks to you and you don't want to sacrifice more carat weight...you may seriously consider your original stone to stay within your budget and still get 1.5+ center stone. 1b cut is not bad and 3.8 on HCA is not horrible. Did you like the stone?

Or you can find out where javasnow got his stone and piggyback onto the sale!
1.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I'd buy the Old Mine Cut a friend of mine owns.

It's 2.17 or so, G VS2, and absolutely gorgeous.

I'd probably have it set in an antique setting like a Cartier, or something similar, and I'd still be under the 9k you mentioned.

win

lickout.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I'll buy 4 new tires for my Ferrari.

Trichrome.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Seriously :

Round Brillant
H color (not higher)
SI1 clarity (if pretty clean) or VS2 if unable to fins a SI1
"Sub-Ideal" Cut (but very close ... like a table 1% larger than an Ideal)

End at the end, try to find the biggest diamond for 9K....

With AGS cert & Laser inscribed.

Trichrome.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Novice!
wavey.gif

Gosh, I wish had that budget to work with now that I have enough knowledge to spend it well!
appl.gif

G and H are very good colors for white gold or platinum. H color is more "economically" priced than G.

The trick to clarity is to thoroughly check out the size, color, type, and location of the inclusions. A diamond could be rated SI1 due to an internal feather. That same feather could be located so it is not seen, and does not impact brilliance, making the diamond a wonderful choice for an e-ring. You definitely don't want a lot of dark colored inclusions cluttering the sides of your stone if you are considering a prong style mount. VS is probably a very safe choice. But definitely check size, type, color, and location of inclusions.

I, personally, would focus on CUT. If you have CUT, you can easily consider a lower color, down to I and J. Check out the Show Me the Ring Forum Picture folder. There are several I colored Hearts and Arrows diamonds there, some set in platinum, that look marvelous. A great CUT makes any diamond appear visually larger, and has more brilliance and fire. CUT maximizes every spec of light and returns it to the viewer or flashes the colors of the rainbow. CUT is the difference between a diamond that sits on the finger and a diamond that grabs people's eye. The WOW factor.

Phoenix posted some very nice diamonds for you to consider. You can search for the best cuts 2 ways. On the Price Scope homepage are 2 search engines. On the left hand side, click the AGS0 and H&A boxes, enter your carat weight, color and clarity ranges and hit search. You will get some great selections to choose from. If you want to consider the "Cream of the Crop", use the search engine on the upper right hand side of the page.

As you find diamonds you are interested in, if the Crown and Pavillion angles are available, use the Cut Adviser (link above). The Cut Adviser weeds out poor performers and makes buying recommendations.

Good Luck in your search. As you find diamonds, feel free to post info on them for opinions. You are in the right place to find an absolutely gorgeous diamond for your perfect e-ring!
2.gif

maggiepie11

Rough_Rock
What a FUN thread!!

I have to agree with Mara. Stay away from designer name rings and you can get a setting for much less than $2000. Less than $1000 even. You can find some SUPER inexpensive settings if you're willing to go with yellow or white gold instead of platinum.

You can do some serious diamond buying with $8000+. I'd get the biggest princess cut or Round Brilliant I could afford that has H color or better, SI1 or VS2 clarity, and excellent cut.

Back to reality now... thanks for the thrill though!!
naughty.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I'd go for a 1.33ct SI1 J and two side stones, 0.55ct SI2 J each, all in a Vatche 3 stone truffle platinum setting. In fact, I did!
9.gif

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
This is a JBStar setting. The pear in the center is 2.29 carats, but there is a wonderfully warm 2.62 carat pear that I've been drooling over, and I would put it in that setting.

229pearJBstar.jpg

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,I just did a little search and found out that ,The center stone itself should cost you (decent make)1.50-1.60cts.gvs2 between $9,175.00-$10,000.00 for the stone alone.the ring the should cost around the 1500.00 extra

If you can find that deal for 9000.00 go for it!!

wavey.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Mara, didn't mean to leave you out. Mara had some great setting and diamond ideas also!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results