shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had $5k for a ring, what would buy?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve seen a couple of similar threads, but I’d love to kick off another... if you had $5k for diamond and setting, what would you buy?
Pre-loved, eBay, on consignment, or just that unicorn you came across, high color, low color, sweet VVS mind clean, or I1 “if I can’t see it, why should I pay more?” eye clean, let’s see it!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yes it is! I wonder who it’s going to. I hope they post pics here :kiss2:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than a solitaire, I would buy a blingy diamond 5 stone. Maybe 5 x 0.30 for 1.50 ctw.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only own one ring I paid more than 5k for, so first I’d say all of those lol.
But there’s a stone on eBay I would buy, put in the three stone bezel msop did with a pink spinel, and it would be under lol

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I would get the biggest princess cut ACA or CBI in a K/SI1 that I could and put in a simple setting. Or the same with a round diamond.
Any reason the princess? Is it just of of those unfulfilled desires, or your favorite cut? Just curious :D

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
But there’s a stone on eBay I would buy, put in the three stone bezel msop did with a pink spinel, and it would be under lol
Niel, that is shocking to hear as you have amazing taste. I am dying to know what you’d consider spending $5k on!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, that is shocking to hear as you have amazing taste. I am dying to know what you’d consider spending $5k on!
Grace was the only ring I think I’ve ever paid more than 5 k for. I’m thinking hard here lol
47D2E002-E0D7-4483-83B7-5475D3FBCB7B.jpeg

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Grace was the only ring I think I’ve ever paid more than 5 k for. I’m thinking hard here lol
47D2E002-E0D7-4483-83B7-5475D3FBCB7B.jpeg
Are you serious? You must really have an amazing eye. That is much bigger, and whiter than anything I can think of close to $5k
Lol. Tag me the next time you find something amazing like that. I do have a little budget (around $5k) but I want to make sure next time I pull th trigger, it’s on something amazing and a great value to boot. Your sapphire recut was incredible- the potential you pulled from the original ring was more than impressive.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you serious? You must really have an amazing eye. That is much bigger, and whiter than anything I can think of close to $5k
Lol. Tag me the next time you find something amazing like that. I do have a little budget (around $5k) but I want to make sure next time I pull th trigger, it’s on something amazing and a great value to boot. Your sapphire recut was incredible- the potential you pulled from the original ring was more than impressive.
Thank you ! You know I bought that 10ct (well she was 12 cat when I bought her) sapphire for 1800 lol.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ! You know I bought that 10ct (well she was 12 cat when I bought her) sapphire for 1800 lol.
In all seriousness, that is mind blowing. Have you ever considered flipping pieces? You seem to be very good at finding potential in reasonably to lower priced items. But I am not kidding about tagging me the next time you find something awesome in the $5k ball park. I love vintage cuts, I don’t mind low color, but aside from Ivy and Rose, and consignment items, I’ve yet to find anything that seems like a solid value for what I’m paying. I totally admit, I love to ogle rings, but I’ve no talent In purchasing :(2
I purchased a beatiful AVR this year, and although I don’t think I over paid for it, I don’t know that is was exactly a bargain either (although the customer service and return policy at Love Affair Diamonds were top notch!).

Reactions: EE3

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am impressed and nauseous at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_1375.GIF
    IMG_1375.GIF
    416 KB · Views: 107

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Any reason the princess? Is it just of of those unfulfilled desires, or your favorite cut? Just curious :D

Just because you can get more size with a princess cut for the money!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Just because you can get more size with a princess cut for the money!
I’d love to see an example! Not doubting by any means, but it was always suggested to me to go with round brilliants or possible ovals for the most bang for your buck because of the size up size. If I remember correctly, carat for carat, a well cut MRB should be 6.5mm and princess around 5mm.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d love to see an example! Not doubting by any means, but it was always suggested to me to go with round brilliants or possible ovals for the most bang for your buck because of the size up size. If I remember correctly, carat for carat, a well cut MRB should be 6.5mm and princess around 5mm.
Pears too have a good face up spread.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Pears too have a good face up spread.
That I’ve heard! But you do have to be a good judge on cut. A lovely pear can be juicy, impressive, a poor cut pear can just be a diamond wearing a bow tie :knockout:

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess stones face up small for their weight. So you can find a larger CT weight stone for less, but that's bc the spread (mm size) is smaller than with a round. So in my view they actually are less "bang for the buck". Same with cushions. Oval and marquis face up largest if I remember correctly .

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Hahaha I was going to say I’d give Niel all the money to help me find a larger eye clean diamond! I’d probably want 7.5 mm or so and go with a lower color. ;)2 When I go back to work I’ll have more money to work with... or maybe I’d copy your halo sapphire ring with a FLY diamond. :kiss2:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results