shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had 2 french cut side stones to make a 3 stone....

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

As the subject line started off ... you have 2 french cut side stones about 4mm each & want to make a 3 stone ring, what shape centre would compliment the Frenchies & vice versa. For example, vintage cushion, or asscher cut stone etc. Would they compliment an elongated cushion? Radiant? Also consider gem stones as well. I know a French centre stone would for sure, but I'm not sure thats an affordable option. Frenchies are quite expensive.

Thank you
:)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd stick with another old cut with big chunky facets, maybe a step cut depending on the particular one, or a colored stone. I don't think it would look good with a radiant or anything else with small, splintery facets.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are they square or rectangular frenchies?
But generally speaking I agree, old cut or step cut.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps this shot of French cut diamonds and various old school brilliants might help:

Art of Platinum has an unusual all-French three-stone on display, for reference.

I vote for an Old Mine Cut, perhaps a rectangular one, if you like. (E-W ? perhaps ...)

___
(image from www)

Last edited:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This sounds like an interesting project. Do you have the stones or are you planning on acquiring them?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably set them with a deep pink or red CS, an elongated oval or a marquise shaped stone.
DK :))

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Colored stones are in the running ?

Then, I would have something done as a French cut - toward a Three stone. The French cut works great for colour & it is so rarely done ...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for old cut center. I think it would look gorgeous with an antique emerald cut.:love: Or any antique cut. Depends on shape.
I know these aren't french cuts but I can imagine that in place of the side stones here.

emeraldcutdiamondleonmege.jpg

Or as @dk168 suggested. CS as center.

frenchcutshankandruby.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone, thank you for your input. I don't have a centre stone yet & the frenchies are square. I've been looking at cushions & thought this might work. :) Thank you Valeria101, that pic from Leon's site was perfect! I love all the old cuts all together, much easier to imagine what will or wont look good together. The stone from DBL's site is nice but over budget for a centre stone. I'll probably end up with a coloured stone as dk168 suggested. Love that pink. :)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
I’m reviving this thread cause I’ve sort of sorted my indecisiveness out. I didn’t end up pursuing the French Cuts after all. I instead purchased an AVC from Jonathan. He is ADAMENT the stone is eye clean. If any of you have actually seen it, I’d like your opinion. Lol. It’s not that I don’t believe him but if a different set of eyes have seen it, I’d appreciate a quick review. I actually trolled all the antique stone peeps but no one had what I wanted in my budget. Then AVC had a promo. ;-). The stone is 6.66 x 6.20 mm.
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...vs2-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74213396

I’m not sure where to go from here. :confused2:

1. There are 2- 4x4 AVC’s avail but they are M coloured. The pic I received of them was against an L AVC & I couldn’t tell there was a difference. In fact, I was told the stones are more L than M. Would the M’s be too tinted against a K stone? I haven’t nailed down the ring style but most likely a bezeled or faux bezel (inset with prongs I suppose I should say) with a plain tri wire shank. Not sure if I’ll add a diamond cuff. Diamonds around the side of the head & around the donuts.

This is my inspiration pic:
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-vine-trilogy

2. Go with Regular Traps. Same setting style as #1. Cheapest side stone option.

3. Go with French Cut Traps. Same setting style as #1. I think these will cost more than the AVC cushions.

4. Forget the 3 stone look & go for a bezeled single stone with an airline & halo, tri wire shank with same diamond details on the head, donut, cuff.

Metal choice will most likely be either platinum or rose gold. I have a J in platinum which is fine but I’m iffy about a K in platinum. Now I have to consider 2 M’s In platinum. Which is giving me pause. Maybe I’ll do rose gold.

There was a vendor from IG House Holbrook who had a set of .77 K matching old cut pears. Sadly, they have been sold. :cry2: That too would have been a killer ring.

Ideas?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Realized that the cuff wasn’t going to go with the 3 stone cushion design like I thought. Scrap that element.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'll be honest, I'd probably use them as earrings or on the ends of a bangle.

As sidestones for a ring, I'd probably go for a colored stone squarish center, custom cut to work with the french cuts.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone will make a gorgeous ring!
I love the VC inspiration pic. Who will make the ring for you. Will you contact David Klass?

Personally I would use platinum and have AVC’s as sides.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies for weighing in. I should have actually just started a new thread. Sorry for the confusion. :-/

Layla, I didn't end up buying the Frenchies & instead bought an AVC. Now I'm confused about the little side stones being M versus my main stone being K. I'd rather have platinum than rose gold but I can go either way. Both metals look good on me & I actually don't have any rose gold in my collection (well, apart from my teeny tiny Cartier rolling ring band. LOL).

Acinom, yes, will be David. I know VC's stones are not the same scale as mine will be...:lol-2:, but it's visually what I want. Thank you for giving me the confidence to consider the M side stones. =)2

I have a couple vendors checking their stock for french cut traps so we'll see if something comes out of the search. Yoram doesn't have any, I've checked. He actually has very little in terms of lower coloured stones so I'm kinda stuck with the M AVC's if that's truly the look I'm after.

Judy
:)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that AVC side stones are the way to go. I love the look of an AVC three-stone ring! So elegant! Does Jon still have your center stone or has it shipped to you already? If he still has it, I'm sure he'd be glad to take some pics/video of it next to the M side stones you're considering.

I don't think there will be enough difference in color between the K center stone and the M side stones to make a difference, especially since they're AVCs. Those suckers face up white White WHITE!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results