shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had 10K….

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Hello all!

I lost my engagement ring last Fall after 14 years of marriage, it was a modest but beautiful .50 ct princess cut with a baguette band on white gold. Hubby would like to buy me a replacement but I can't make up my mind on what I want and what's me. Help me!!!

My budget is around 10K. I am a quality vs. quantity girl. I have a pretty casual lifestyle. I'm an artist, a stay at home mom, we spend a lot of time doing outdoor sports and occasionally go out for a nice dinner, so I really don't have any fancy, over the top events. I tend not to like flashy, over the top jewelry. I want something simple and classic but a little offbeat at the same time, I know that a six prong tiffany solitaire would not make me happy, too mainstream for me.

So my question is, if you had 10K to spend on a ring, how would you spend it?

I hate halos or anything too elaborate, I have loved cushions at one point, now Asschers are sort of intriguing to me, sometimes I think some stacked bands would be prettier and more practical for me than a bigger center stone.

And I love Leon Mege's work.

Help!!!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you! :)

I'd go look on Good Old Gold's site to get an idea of what you like (they carry a lot of different things) - they have a lot of different cuts, including their August Vintage rounds and cushions. If you like "offbeat" that may please you. Old european cuts and other antique style cushions can also be found elsewhere of course. But if you like asschers, take a look at the Octavia asscher GOG carries - it's different, with stellar light performance.

If you are thinking of fancy shapes, you can't buy by the numbers - you need to get ASET images at least, and videos would be nice too.

As far as settings go, maybe a semibezel would work for you - no prongs to catch on things.

ETA: Here's a few examples of different types of cuts:

AVR: http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-07ct-g-vs2-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

AVC: http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1ct-h-vvs2-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

Octavia: http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-02ct-i-vs1-octavia-asscher-diamond.html

Asscher: http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1ct-i-vs1-asscher-cut-diamond-2.html

Let me go look around at other sites too - brb

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Part of my problem is that I think I like one thing, but the couple of times we've gone into an actual store to look, I end up liking something completely different.

We went into Tiffany's a few months ago just to look. From what I saw there I don't like halos, and I didn't care much for round brilliants. I fell in love with a cushion solitaire I saw at another store that was way overpriced. I've never seen an Asscher in person nor a bezel set diamond.

Thank you for the links! I'm trying to open Victor Canera's website to see those!

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
So I'm currently playing in Photoshop to see if I can "try on" a few of these styles and see if I can narrow it down.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1437758037|3906961 said:
Hello all!

I lost my engagement ring last Fall after 14 years of marriage, it was a modest but beautiful .50 ct princess cut with a baguette band on white gold. Hubby would like to buy me a replacement but I can't make up my mind on what I want and what's me. Help me!!!

My budget is around 10K. I am a quality vs. quantity girl. I have a pretty casual lifestyle. I'm an artist, a stay at home mom, we spend a lot of time doing outdoor sports and occasionally go out for a nice dinner, so I really don't have any fancy, over the top events. I tend not to like flashy, over the top jewelry. I want something simple and classic but a little offbeat at the same time, I know that a six prong tiffany solitaire would not make me happy, too mainstream for me.

So my question is, if you had 10K to spend on a ring, how would you spend it?

I hate halos or anything too elaborate, I have loved cushions at one point, now Asschers are sort of intriguing to me, sometimes I think some stacked bands would be prettier and more practical for me than a bigger center stone.

And I love Leon Mege's work.

Help!!!

Make him an offer he can't refuse:

https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/shop-now/true-antique-cushion-milgrain-platinum-solitaire-engagement-ring-detail

https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/shop-now/emerald-cut-diamond-five-stone-ring-detail

cheers--Sharon

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1437768108|3907017 said:

Ahhh yes, I've been looking at the second one for the past few days. I've never seen an EC on my hand, though. My SIL, who I spend a lot of time around, has a beautiful 2-3 ct emerald cut ring that's very similar. Although her ring is beautiful I don't know if I'd want to have the same style?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
This is my photoshop attempt to try on that Leon 5 stone emerald cut.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1437768857|3907022 said:
canuk-gal|1437768108|3907017 said:

Ahhh yes, I've been looking at the second one for the past few days. I've never seen an EC on my hand, though. My SIL, who I spend a lot of time around, has a beautiful 2-3 ct emerald cut ring that's very similar. Although her ring is beautiful I don't know if I'd want to have the same style?

Listen to your heart - who cares what anyone else has? If you love it that's all that matters. Can you try her ring on to see if you like EC's on you? Or maybe go back to Tiffany just to try things on?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
ecf8503|1437769106|3907025 said:
Listen to your heart - who cares what anyone else has? If you love it that's all that matters. Can you try her ring on to see if you like EC's on you? Or maybe go back to Tiffany just to try things on?

Yes, true, it shouldn't matter. I just want to be different I guess.

Tiffany here sucks, they are such snobs.They also don't have a lot of their styles. Only solitaires, Novo, and the halo style.

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Im currently looking at 5 stone diamond rings. They are classic but can have all kinds of creative ways to place the stones or use colored stones or do basically whatever you want with them.

Best of luck to you- Love diamonds, love beautiful jewelry!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1437769329|3907028 said:
ecf8503|1437769106|3907025 said:

Yes, true, it shouldn't matter. I just want to be different I guess.

Tiffany here sucks, they are such snobs.They also don't have a lot of their styles. Only solitaires, Novo, and the halo style.

Your ring would be different--it would be made by Leon! Not too many rings with that gorgeous side stone combo. Perhaps your SIL would be flattered.

Is the cushion not to your taste?

cheers--Sharon

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Here's a 1ct bezet. Hmm, I kind of like it's simplicity.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like the Bezet also. Lovely in colored diamonds.

But if memory serves a 1 ctw diamond at Tiffany would be app. twice your budget.

cheers--Sharon

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1437769880|3907034 said:
HI:

I like the Bezet also. Lovely in colored diamonds.

But if memory serves a 1 ctw diamond at Tiffany would be app. twice your budget.

cheers--Sharon

Yes, I wouldn't buy it at Tiffany's. I think it would be about triple the price from what I remember, but this gives me an idea of what at a bezel would look like, since I've never seen one in person. I'd buy the diamond from one of the vendors here and possibly have it set by Leon.

Here's a cushion cut on a channel set band. This is the one that's closest to what I had, except that mine had baguettes on the band and a princess cut. The bezel makes the 1ct diamond look bigger. What do you think?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am sure Leon could duplicate what you had before. Do you really want a change?

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of my inspiration rings, and I am an EC girl when it comes to diamonds for rings. I like it for its low profile, not too flashy, yet still have enough bling power for dressier events.

151-norse2b__2_.gif

DK :))

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Can you possibly spend more time trying on different styles IRL before you decide?

I had a similar budget and similar lifestyle needs when I was looking a while back, and what I thought I wanted in the beginning changed a few times, first as I looked at a billion rings online, then when I met my diamond, and finally after I tried on many rings IRL and saw how they looked on me.

For instance I thought I really wanted a bezel setting (love the tiffany bezet!), until I tried a few on and knew they weren't right for my e-ring, and I hadn't even considered a tapered baguette setting UNTIL I saw one on my hand.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
EvangelineG|1437773295|3907071 said:
Can you possibly spend more time trying on different styles IRL before you decide?

I had a similar budget and similar lifestyle needs when I was looking a while back, and what I thought I wanted in the beginning changed a few times, first as I looked at a billion rings online, then when I met my diamond, and finally after I tried on many rings IRL and saw how they looked on me.

For instance I thought I really wanted a bezel setting (love the tiffany bezet!), until I tried a few on and knew they weren't right for my e-ring, and I hadn't even considered a tapered baguette setting UNTIL I saw one on my hand.

This is true, it's very difficult to make a decision only by seeing things on the internet. My choices here are really limited, as there are only a handful of jewelry stores and they don't carry a variety of cuts. I might wait until I go to NY and see if I can try more different styles there.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my idea is a bezel with this rope type shank that old style rings have, like its a shank with another shank around not to give it this 3 string type look. I don't know I know what it's called but I can't remember, the round picture attached will explain.
I also think an inner bezel like the asscher attached will be cool.

I also wanted to throw the idea out of a e/w marquise. It's a lot of bang for your buck. Extremely unique, would be very low profile if done right, and I think would look very casual with some stacking bands.

screenshot_2015-07-24-17-39-32_1.jpg

screenshot_2015-07-24-17-39-26_1.jpg

screenshot_2015-07-24-17-39-18_1.jpg

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1437772672|3907064 said:
HI:

I am sure Leon could duplicate what you had before. Do you really want a change?

cheers--Sharon

I do want a change. My marriage has changed significantly over the years and I do want this ring to symbolize a new chapter.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. On one hand I love nice jewelry; I notice it on other women, and I want to have a sparkly diamond because it's pretty.

On the other hand, I live in a very materialistic area where many people have huge diamonds as part of a luxury lifestyle. My 1ct diamond would be nothing in this sea of wealth, however part of me feels a sort of guilt, that by wanting it I'm becoming like them. (I'm sure some may find it silly and maybe immature. I know that if I gave all my money away and deprived myself of all wealth it wouldn't make a dent in fixing this world.) I don't know if that makes any sense.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1437775225|3907085 said:
canuk-gal|1437772672|3907064 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I do want a change. My marriage has changed significantly over the years and I do want this ring to symbolize a new chapter.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. On one hand I love nice jewelry; I notice it on other women, and I want to have a sparkly diamond because it's pretty.

On the other hand, I live in a very materialistic area where many people have huge diamonds as part of a luxury lifestyle. My 1ct diamond would be nothing in this sea of wealth, however part of me feels a sort of guilt, that by wanting it I'm becoming like them. (I'm sure some may find it silly and maybe immature. I know that if I gave all my money away and deprived myself of all wealth it wouldn't make a dent in fixing this world.) I don't know if that makes any sense.

HI:

You received a gift of a ring 14 years ago--a token upon marriage. I understand you wanting to replace the gift you lost. And acknowledging that nice jewellery is pretty and is admired doesn't make you shallow. Just human.

You've set a budget--and can get something wonderful for that.

Eternity ring?

cheers--Sharon

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be the oddball ... if I had $10,000, but didn't know what I wanted, I'd put it in the bank until I saw something that made my heart go pitty-pat. You don't want to buy something just to be buying something ... and someday, you'll see the ring you want, and you'll have the money for it.

Btw, a 1-carat diamond is a good sized stone. If others have bigger rocks, well, that's them, not you. Over in the "under 1 carat" topic, one woman said she works with underprivileged, and wouldn't want a larger stone. It's all personal choice and taste.

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
I'd buy 3 or 4 of these lovely CvB stackers from Love Affair Diamonds.

_32692.jpg

_32693.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a coloured diamond, maybe a lovely, bright yellow? Different from the mainstream and plenty of options within your budget.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given how you define your lifestyle, I think a nice simple solitaire ring but in a semi-bezel would be perfect. It's fairly "life-proof" while offering a little variety from the everyday, dresses up or down, and can always pair nicely with a variety of bands when you feel like stacking.

Here is a link to a beautiful example ... Audball's Sholdt and a JOTW, with pics of course! :bigsmile:

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-sholdt-semi-bezel-engagement-ring-oec

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
librarychickie|1437793100|3907178 said:
I'd buy 3 or 4 of these lovely CvB stackers from Love Affair Diamonds.
Love this idea. If you are concerned about competing with the large diamonds, do something completely different.

I'd bet they may even consider a "buy in bulk" type discount if you spend 10k on stackers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results