shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could give a broker your "ideal" diamond measurements, what would they be? [1.0x, round, H, V

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Andrew8527

Rough_Rock
I began the local diamond hunt, and visited with a broker yesterday. He was very open in discussing pricing and what he had access to. Since he didn''t have anything matching my specs in house [GIA 1.0x, round, H, VS2, ex/ex, sub-2.0 HCA, maybe H&A], he went and pulled an inventory report from Rapnet.

He basically told me he can get whatever I want, I just need to figure out what that is exactly
1.gif
He didn''t seem to have a problem with screening Sarin reports for the specs that I will end up giving him. That said, if I''m after that top 5% according to the HCA.....what specs would be reasonable? I''m not so sure I''m after H&A, as that may be out of my $ range. Based on the diamond tutorial (AGA cut chart), here''s what I''m getting:

Table %: 53-58%
Pavillion angle: 40-42 degrees
Pavillion depth %: 42.8-43.2%
Crown angle: 34.0-34.7 degrees
Crown height: 14-16.3%
Total depth %: 58-62.3%
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: Pointed to very small

Again, is this a reasonable request or would it be like trying to find a needle in a haystack? Need I only provide a few of these specs rather than all, and then have him bring them in for further examination? I have no idea how user friendly RapNet is.

Finally, speaking of $, I''m curious to know how this sounds. As he explained, each stone has a listing for $/carat and % off list. Most stones in the report that he pulled ranged from 20-25% off list. He then explained that his cut is 10%. So, if I''m understanding it correctly, the end cost to me is 10-15% off list. Any comments on this pricing method? Is this typical?

Also, not to worry, there are a few PS internet vendors "in the running" as well....

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ideal diamond would be an H SI2 that is eye-clean and with medium blue fluorescence. Around 1.80-2.0c.
2.gif

That said, the specs I would ask for the ideal diamond:

Table %: 54-57
Pav angle: 40.5-40.8 degrees
Crown angle: 34.2-34.8 degrees
Total depth %: 60.4-61.7
Girdle: Medium (though Thin-Med is 2nd in my choice)
Culet: None, Pointed

My parameters are even stricter than yours. I don't think that you are trying to find a needle in a haystack. My diamond I currently have is within my parameters listed above, so quite obviously there are diamonds out there with strict numbers if you want to look for that.

I do think it's harder to have someone looking for you with THEIR idea of what is acceptable than to look yourself, aka you may know to drop something out of the running if it has a 52% table but a vendor may think, oh but its such a pretty stone...however I personally would not want to see it if it did not fit in my specs.

Anyhow, you are on the right track, stick to your guns on what you want...you may have to go a little off here or there but your parameters are more broad than mine. I would not want a 53% tabled stone or a 59% depth stone. Or a 31 crown angle or a 42 pav angle.

Good luck!
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Andrew - You have been very thorough. Not to worry, you should be able to find what you are looking for, either here online or in a knowledgeable B&M (brick and mortar) store.

Andrew8527

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments so far, keep 'em coming!
21.gif

Ok, well I submitted my "ideal specs" and here's what he's returned with:

1.09, H, VS2. GIA, ex/ex. 6.66x6.71 "AGS 0" HCA=.8

Depth %: 60
Table %: 57
Crown angle: 34.2
Pavillion angle: 40.7
Girdle: thin, faceted
Fluorescence: NONE
Key to symbols: cloud
Laser inscribed with "H&A" and GIA #

------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.06, H, VS2. GIA, ex/ex. 6.61x6.64. HCA=.7

Depth %: 60.1
Table %: 56
Crown angle: 34.4
Pavillion angle: 40.3
Girdle: medium
Fluorescence: faint
Key to symbols: crystal, feather, pinpoint
"Would display H&A" according to him (we'll if it really passes....I've studied the PS H&A section)
1.gif

I'm not an expert, but neither looks like a bad choice from what I've been given.....? Seeing it under a scope may be a different story. Very curious to hear your comments. Should I reveal pricing?

Thanks again for your time.

Andy

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
They look like winners and well worth bringing in.

Feel free to share your pricing or do your own comparison. Use the Search by Cut to see comp pricing.

Don't get too hooked on Rap pricing. What matters is how your pricing compares to what you can get here. Read this if you haven't already

How Rap works

Traps with Raps

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both look very intriguing!! I would have him bring both in. Nice selection, let us know how things turn out!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
They do both look very good. Looks as if you found someone who "gets it" and is working with you well.

This may be a little late, but way back when, Niceice posted these as their prefered "tight specs". They are very tight, and I ended up going outside of them just slightly and found a beautiful stone, but it shows you a good guideline of what some think is the "best" generic range.

Total depth between 59 - 61.8%
Table diameter between 55 - 56%
Crown angle between 34.3 - 34.8 degrees
Pavilion angle between 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Girdle: thin to medium, faceted or medium, faceted
Culet: GIA None or AGS Pointed
Polish: GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal
Symmetry: GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Steer clear of option #2. If those are the only 2 stones you're considering then #1 is the clear winner.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 stone :isn't the pavil too shallow to match the crown angle of 34.4' ? go with #1.

Andrew8527

Rough_Rock
"Steer clear of option #2. If those are the only 2 stones you're considering then #1 is the clear winner."

Thanks Rhino and vtigger86 for the tip. Must be one of the reasons why stone#2 is ~$500 less than the first. Those definitely aren't the only two--just the first two that he's presented to me. I'll see what else he can find. Actually considering a few of your H&A stones as well [H,VS2] (I hope your H&A inventory is current...?). Thanks again.

Andy

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/15/2004 1:24:26 AM Andrew8527 wrote:

'Steer clear of option #2. If those are the only 2 stones you're considering then #1 is the clear winner.'

Thanks Rhino and vtigger86 for the tip. Must be one of the reasons why stone#2 is ~$500 less than the first. Those definitely aren't the only two--just the first two that he's presented to me. I'll see what else he can find. Actually considering a few of your H&A stones as well [H,VS2] (I hope your H&A inventory is current...?). Thanks again.

Andy----------------

Andy
definitely talk to Rhino about his stones they are exceptional ideal cuts. H vs-2 ex combo
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results