shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could do it all over again....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t change a thing. CBI was a perfect ring for my original e-ring. I love it.

For our 10th anniversary, hubby suggested to take advantage of Wink’s upgrade policy but I just don’t have the heart to do it.

@joelly - I've tried to find a photo of your e-ring, but can't. Can you pls post a photo? Thanks!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would have asked for a diamond band for the engagement ring and then gone for a plain or engraved band for the wedding band.
Over the years, for anniversaries/big milestones, a couple of different 0.5-0.75 cuts would have scratched the diamond itch.

I mentioned to my husband recently after an acquaintance got engaged with an eternity ring that that would have been my preference as well and my husband went :eek2:.

@molecule - can you share a photo of your e-ring pls? I looked and couldn't find one. I'd like to see what you *did* end up with!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A part of me regrets not buying that Argyle tender pink diamond (.50 carat) because to buy one now you’re looking at close to $200,000 - seriously!
BUT it’s a moot point, I instantly fell in love with my Art Deco emerald cut diamond the second I saw her and I’ll never be selling her.

YES! I looked at a pink Argyle band of butterflies set with white diamond accents in platinum. it was 48k. If I had the chance now, I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I would have told him not to take the big honkin 1.72 family stone and instead just buy me the .44 superideal bezel that I had really wanted. Or the step cuts I really liked the whole time.

I never wear the big fancy 3 stone. I do wear the 2.5 asscher all the time.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had to do it over, I’d probably do it the same since it was quite recent. And I am so happy that I’m not sure that I will wish I had done it differently in the future. However, I’ve had years to think about it.

I should probably come back to this question in a few more years.

I have noticed that I am still browsing settings and diamonds, something that I did not predict. I’m starting to feel like I might end up changing settings over the years, just like changing outfits. I’m also starting to wonder if I will really never upgrade.

When I dreamed of the diamond purchase and when I completed the diamond purchase, I never imagined that it could put me on some kind of long term journey. Now I see how it can be a continuing journey, and maybe I’ll get on it. Maybe I already am. I’ve had a lot of diamond fun so far, so why not keep it going?

@mrs-b - I can certainly see where you’re coming from with that ruby! WOW! :geek2::appl:I agree that any “little sister” to that beauty would be breathtaking!
... it’s just ... rubies do not sparkle the same way as diamonds ... when I was a kid, I did not understand why anyone would want a colourless gemstone ... then I saw diamonds in person :geek2::geek2::geek2::kiss2: I dunno ... maybe it’s because you’ve had diamond for a long time (have you?) and now would like a change??? ... for me, I have only recently had the diamond to enjoy ... not ready to go to colour gemstones as a center stone for my main every day bling ring ... I did get some in the matching wedding bands though. I suppose part of me still thinks that white is boring, lol. Obviously, a few 1 mm rubies are not what you were thinking.

Maybe I would not want to do the original thing over exactly ... but I am certainly eyeing up big bling piece #2 using what I’ve learned from #1. It’s an addiction!!! Beware!!! (a glorious addiction, lol)

@kmoro - for me, you hit it in a nutshell; colorless. I LOVE color. Love it. I didn't know that at the age of 23 when I got engaged. I know it now, tho! So if I had the chance.... :kiss2:

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I swapped my e-ring out within 24 hours. When asked initially what I wanted I said 1ct round, platinum head, yellow gold band. I told him to go see my jeweler who had called in a couple of stones for me. Well..... that's not what was in the box. I laughed at first thinking it was fake. It wasn't. it was just under 6cts... and Emerald cut. On my little size 4 finger it looked horrible and was uncomfortable. He explained - well that's what all the ladies at the club have. I said I can't wear it (for many reasons), so he gave me the receipt and I returned the ring. Swapped it out for a sizeable refund and picked up a diamond wedding band, tennis bracelet and a pair of studs. My jeweler was not surprised at all at my returning the ring.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not have bought our stone from a B&M (this was way before Pricescope existed), and I wouldn't have gotten a GIA E color with Good cut. We totally overpaid for that stone. I still have the e-ring and wear it a lot (it's my "work ring"), and I appreciate what it represents in this history of my marriage, but the ring itself doesn't wow me at all.

If I could do it all over again, I'd look for an H-color antique OMC or emerald cut with an upgrade policy, i.e. Adam/OWD.

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
If I could do it all over again I would have totally skipped the e-ring and gotten married with a diamond eternity band. Then I would have saved up several years and whenever we had enough money I would have bought a solitaire from Whiteflash. “If I could turn back time...” {in my best Cher voice}

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have gone with a 7 or 9 stone larger eternity for a wedding band and skipped the ering for a while.

Then I would have gotten either an OEC or a MRB with upgrade policy. My ering is a pear.
I think I would have saved the pear shape for a pendant instead of an ering.

Its all ok though because I have an OEC and a couple of MRBs...just would have done it in a different
order.

Live and learn :lol:.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not have lost my 2 carat OEC in a river saving a cat.....I'd still save the cat, but remember to remove the ring first.

I always knew what I wanted. I wanted the "Peach" setting from Silverscape Design in Northampton Massachusetts. If we had my 2 carat OEC and the funds, that would be what I'd have worn for the 18 years until my current ring.

I did not go with the "peach" all these years later but I still love it. It was designed by the now deceased Dennis Perlman.
https://www.silverscapedesigns.com/products/dp-peach-ring

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband went to his family’s jeweler and showed him a photo of the ring I wanted - a cushion cut set in a micro pave split shank setting - and the end result didn’t even come close. It took two resets before I got the perfect ring for me.

I wouldn’t change anything if I could go back because like Missy, I think I needed to go through that to end up with the right ring. I think of that original one I wanted and I don’t want it anymore.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If I could do it all over again, I'd skip the e-ring altogether and just have a wedding band of some description.
Probably something carved and heavy in yellow gold. Then I'd save aaaalllll my pennies, and when I had the money I needed, I'd buy the biggest, reddest ruby I could find!

I see this as a custom - allot.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reset my 2.7 so many times.
Hemorrhaged money on resets.
What I wanted all along was a bigger stone... Now that I've got that bigger stone the occasional urge to upgrade is fleeting: There are other things I would prefer to spend that money on - and I can recognise that as a genuine feeling, not me trying to convince myself.

The craziest thing I did was buy my 2.7 a mate and make studs rather than sell it or trade it for an Ering upgrade. Objectively it was nonsensical and unjustifiable. I wear those earrings more than any other jewellery I own - it was one of my best decisions.

I don't know that I could do it "right" up-front, if I had the opportunity to do it all over, because I just don't think I'd have known what "right" is without all the meandering and reflection...
(My purse heartily disagrees).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b - would you ever sell everything you have and buy the biggest reddish ruby?
I keep thinking about your opal ring, btw, it's so nice :kiss2:

Me:

If I could do it all again... hmm. I think I would have chosen an e-ring that was more durable. I LOVE my labradorite and silver ring, it's so cool, it was so me, and it's so different. It was also so appropriately inexpensive haha! But it's way too delicate for years and years of daily wear. I'm a huge romantic so I think it would be nice if I had had an original e-ring that could take a beating. My wedding band is good though: platinum and three baguette diamonds. It's awesome.

I think I would also see the light when it comes to yellow gold a whole lot sooner. I gave away some yellow gold stuff because I figured I would never ever use it... and now I like yellow gold. All part of the fun journey!

I would also skip the custom route. It did not go well for me and I learned that I am not a personality type that can deal with custom, unless I'm working with someone like DK who would bend over backwards to get it right and perfect for my type-A, detail-oriented eyes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not have lost my 2 carat OEC in a river saving a cat.....I'd still save the cat, but remember to remove the ring first.

Aww you rock @rockysalamander :appl::appl::appl:
Seriously from my heart thank you so much! Had you removed your ring first the cat might have drowned as there might not have been sufficient time to do both. So THANK YOU. And (((HUGS))).

slider_yourock.gif

taverymuch.gif

1237347t680xm00ub.gif

pretty%20heart.gif

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"Yes, but @Johnbt - you guys really started at the top! Yours is a truly stunning ring."

Thank you. But we're old, and worked our way up making mistakes earlier in life. Well, I'm old and retired, but she's still working and almost two years away from full SSA retirement.

I think the ring I bought in college in 1972 was probably 50% for the setting and 50% for the tiny plain round diamond. Heck, the diamond may have been worth less than the gold for all I know.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't change anything. DH had a $3K budget for the ring. I like jewelry with a presence but that budget didn't allow for a solitaire size I liked so we settled on a 1.65ctw diamond eternity band. After our first child was born, he upgraded the eternity to 3ctw. A few years later, our finances finally allowed for a sizable diamond so I got my 2.32ct MRB but find that I still prefer the eternity for daily wear. I'm thinking about trading the solitaire for a large step cut eternity.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww you rock @rockysalamander :appl::appl::appl:
Seriously from my heart thank you so much! Had you removed your ring first the cat might have drowned as there might not have been sufficient time to do both. So THANK YOU. And (((HUGS))).

/QUOTE]
Awww. Thanks. I've done many crazy things in my life, but this is among my top 5 riskiest. The poor thing was trapped on a mid-channel island hanging onto a sapling. She must have gotten washed in the river during the rain and floods after a storm/ My husband (then fiance) trusted my river and water smarts. I entered the river to retrieve her while he monitored my rope and sent me good balance vibes. Love a man that trusts his women's capabilities without question {married for 19 years now...} The kitty lived to be 21 and was sweet and gentle her whole life. I like to imagine that someone who is in need will find that ring and be able to use it for good. =)2

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't change anything about my original ering. We were in grad school, living on stipends and scholarships, very blessed that my mother gave us a stone.

As for upgrades, I really wish I had found ps before the first upgrade. I would have gone with WF for the first and subsequent upgrade stones. Live and learn.

I have a few jewelry regrets but they aren't that big on the grand scheme of it all. And they look so pretty in the jewelry box! :roll2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... This is a REALLY good question. I would love ALL the diamonds in ALL the different cuts, as I change ideals as often as I shower! Emerald, OEC, Tiffany MRB classic solitaire.... :lickout:

But in reality, I would have put more thought into my custom solitaire setting about what I would love for the long term. I was determined many years ago to have my pear in a clean solitaire, set high enough not to grate claws with my then claw set eternity, and also I wanted to see the culet from the side. The reality is that my pear is dangerous. It is deliciously high & deliciously pointy. I always feel I would stand in good stead for a left hook if I ever needed to give one. But what I would dearly love, at a hair from my 45th Birthday & feeling confident in life, would be to set it low on a wide, tapered diamond encrusted pave band, with the pear bezel set in the centre, almost Tiffany Etoile pave solitaire like. It would be sparkly waterfalls dropping away from that baby & tapering around to the back. I would wear my eternity on my RH to accommodate the width. Wall to wall glitter to go with the fireball of the pear. I think Mr T may gag if I suggest another reset (it’s had 3) but who knows what the future holds.....

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hmmm... This is a REALLY good question. I would love ALL the diamonds in ALL the different cuts, as I change ideals as often as I shower! Emerald, OEC, Tiffany MRB classic solitaire.... :lickout:

But in reality, I would have put more thought into my custom solitaire setting about what I would love for the long term. I was determined many years ago to have my pear in a clean solitaire, set high enough not to grate claws with my then claw set eternity, and also I wanted to see the culet from the side. The reality is that my pear is dangerous. It is deliciously high & deliciously pointy. I always feel I would stand in good stead for a left hook if I ever needed to give one. But what I would dearly love, at a hair from my 45th Birthday & feeling confident in life, would be to set it low on a wide, tapered diamond encrusted pave band, with the pear bezel set in the centre, almost Tiffany Etoile pave solitaire like. It would be sparkly waterfalls dropping away from that baby & tapering around to the back. I would wear my eternity on my RH to accommodate the width. Wall to wall glitter to go with the fireball of the pear. I think Mr T may gag if I suggest another reset (it’s had 3) but who knows what the future holds.....
I love your attitude Alex T! I am also a hair away from my 46th birthday and feeling super excited to do my ring re set and make a big statement with it. Go you!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
44DDA35C-378D-48B3-B567-FDF9D30BC909.jpeg C030A95F-104C-4AA6-9AA4-4D6B1CC03247.jpeg
@joelly - I've tried to find a photo of your e-ring, but can't. Can you pls post a photo? Thanks!

Here she is. Our first CBI. Wink chose the diamonds and did the setting as well. Bought it in 2009 and wore it everyday. Still gotten compliments for it. Looks bigger than 0.75 ct due to the cut which gives the stone a halo effect that makes it look bigger.

Please excuse my swollen finger. The ring is 5.25 and my pregnancy swelled finger can’t handle such tiny ring. Hopefully I get back to normal after delivery.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Oh my... sorry for duplicate postings...

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
44DDA35C-378D-48B3-B567-FDF9D30BC909.jpeg C030A95F-104C-4AA6-9AA4-4D6B1CC03247.jpeg

Here she is. Our first CBI. Wink chose the diamonds and did the setting as well. Bought it in 2009 and wore it everyday. Still gotten compliments for it. Looks bigger than 0.75 ct due to the cut which gives the stone a halo effect that makes it look bigger.

Please excuse my swollen finger. The ring is 5.25 and my pregnancy swelled finger can’t handle such tiny ring. Hopefully I get back to normal after delivery.

Wow! This is gorgeous. Can I ask size specs on the three stones? I love the size difference between the center and side stones.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow! This is gorgeous. Can I ask size specs on the three stones? I love the size difference between the center and side stones.

Thank you. The center stone is 0.71 ct D SI1. The side stones are 0.25 ct and 0.27 ct (both F colors). Hope this helps.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would have made the biggest difference for me was if the internet and PS existed way back then but it did not. I sometimes feel that I wasted time and money on upgrades but I did it incrementally and feel that I did the best I could with the limited resources available to me at the time. I did not deal with mall jewelers and such but had a diamond supplier at one time (God only knows how those stones were procured from NYC!) and then a large diamond import company. Probably always paying just a tad under retail but far better quality than at the mall.

However, in retrospect, and that goes deeper the older you get, I think the frustrating journey made what I have today all the sweeter. I just have to trust that the road travelled was just the way it was supposed to be. Ending up with a gorgeous ACA stone was really just a pipe dream that one day turned real. Five years ago I would have laughed if anyone had even suggested such a thing might happen so yeah, the journey was long but the reward sweeter and I am oh so thankful!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I got engaged my husband's budget was $1500. I don't know how to reconcile that with the fact that I wanted a huge gemstone ring :lol: It was simply impossible at the time. And it was my obsessing about my ring that brought me to PS and eventually earned me a PhD in diamond lore, which gave me the confidence to start buying old cut diamonds on ebay, which eventually helped me build enough confidence to buy a 2ct antique diamond ring on ebay with just a few photos! :geek2: I can't really see any other path to this diamond for me, as I could never have jumped in at the end and got what I have, which I adore so much. In part because of the memories of how I found it. Rarity and narrative is precious to me as much as anything else when it comes to my One Ring.

Special shout out to my original ER, the first and last piece of jewelery my husband ever picked for me.

DDsapphireering6z.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww. Thanks. I've done many crazy things in my life, but this is among my top 5 riskiest. The poor thing was trapped on a mid-channel island hanging onto a sapling. She must have gotten washed in the river during the rain and floods after a storm/ My husband (then fiance) trusted my river and water smarts. I entered the river to retrieve her while he monitored my rope and sent me good balance vibes. Love a man that trusts his women's capabilities without question {married for 19 years now...} The kitty lived to be 21 and was sweet and gentle her whole life. I like to imagine that someone who is in need will find that ring and be able to use it for good. =)2
oh what a lovely wounderful person you are
That kitty must have given you so much warm fluffy kitty.love back over her lifetime she would have been worth an infinate number of diamonds and gold
that's a beautiful thought to wish someone who needed your ring found it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

beautiful ring but poor you
i hope otherwise you are well

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results