shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could choose a profession for your spouse/SO...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Nate really enjoys medicine, but I think a part of him would love to be playing professional football.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 12:39:27 PM
Author: vespergirl
Date: 4/14/2009 12:44:55 AM

Author: LaraOnline

Date: 4/13/2009 3:55:43 PM

Author: vespergirl

My DH is a business executive now, for a huge electrical/security contractor, so he mostly works construction projects. Even though the money is great, construction hours suck. We go to bed at 10 pm sharp every night because he has to get up at 5 am every day, and he works from 6:30 am - 5:30 pm regular hours, sometimes longer.

I think that he actually would have made a really good surgeon (he''s got an MBA from a top school & a MENSA IQ, so I''m sure he could have chosen the medical field if he wanted to go to school for that long). It would have given us the same high-salary perks that he enjoys now, and I know that it''s still very long hours, but I think he would have enjoyed the work more. He just didn''t want to go to med school for so many years. The MBA was enough for him.

Interesting...

My husband is a veterinarian, and I don''t know if it''s different in the US, but in Australia, the profession is completely lame as far as work hours and income go.

My husband has worked so hard, for so long, is so smart and is such a self-starter, I can''t help wishing sometimes that he went into human medicine (where the pay is sooo much better and the clients are nicer to you) or perhaps into something completely different, like business!

Lara, you have every girl''s dream life! Two beautiful kids & a hunky husband who''s a veterinarian? You lucky girl! I bet you have a pony too, don''t you?
emotion-5.gif
Seriously, though, I think being a vet must be a very rewarding job, but I think it''s underappreciated here in the states too. It seems like it''s so difficult to learn - doctors who treat humans have to learn only one anatomy, and vets so many for different animals. I understand that here in the states vet pay is also much lower than that of other doctors, but for anyone who has animals, they know that the lives of our furry creatures are so important to us as well. Does your family have a lot of pets? My vet''s family has so many, and they are always bringing home strays - we call him Dr. Doolittle
emteeth.gif

Hi Vesper,
*waves*
Yes, the -male!- veterinarian definitely has overtones of the strong, silent, smart hunky type, non? Maybe like Clark Kent, but in vet clothes...

It would be interesting to hear Bee''s take on this, but the variety of medical disciplines is a reason why the profession is so interesting, and so challenging. DH is very driven as far as technical knowledge goes, he loves to fix tricky broken bones especially!

The standard of living (mentally, socially and financially), though, for ongoing veterinarians is definitely an issue within the profession. We think it should be more clearly addressed at the undergraduate level. The reasons for this pressure are many.

We love and appreciate our high-level clients, who are happy to do proper work-ups for their patients, get the proper treatments etc etc but for every one of those there are twenty clients who want a magic solution for twenty bucks or less!

Also, all technical and medical equipment, such as x-ray machines, must be financed by the vet, personally. A very expensive way to make a living!!!!!!!!

Also, for every vet surgeon, there are so many lay staff required, to support the vet''s work. That''s a lot of wages for a vet to pay.

We are hoping that private health insurance for pets will make a big difference to this industry in the future. Currently, levels of pet insurance in this country are very low.
Anyway, shop talk over!!
3.gif

My DH refuses to allow me to draw him into ''what is wrong with my beloved pet'' threads, because he says it is better to get advice from a vet who is able to properly examine and the pet, and run tests.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I chef =P.. After hubby, my second love is food =P

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:57:02 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Maisie, at the rate I go, I''ll get there sometime in 2010.
20.gif
I have no idea how some people rack up that many posts in a year. I feel like I talk a lot on this forum, but somehow, there are more chatty posters than me!!

Haha, you do talk alot, but you put everything in one long post
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha, I was just talking about this with my mom today.

I''d have him be an architect. He loves building things, loves designing buildings, and is fantastic with imagining how things will look when they go from paper to real life. He''d be amazing at it.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
my husband works in the finance sector. he''s well known in those circles and is able to work pretty much wherever he wants to. except...

he always has to be in capital cities. big finance companies don''t operate in small country towns, so, altho we can pick pretty much whatever country we like (and have - australia, england, switzerland and now the US) we''re always in capital cities and i''d like the opportunity to live in more rural areas.

ideally, i''d like him to have a profession we could both do, and i wish i''d done vet science, specializing in dogs and horses. i''ve often thought of turning my psych quals into animal psychology and going down that route. alternately, i''d love it if he worked from home. any job that allowed him to do that would be fine by me.

HIS choice however is somewhat different....

tim played state level baseball when he was 18 (under 21''s) - position: catcher. he was very good and his team won the national title a number of years in a row. a number of his team were invited to the US to try out for major teams and he was one of those invited. however, the b''ball tryouts were on in the US at the same time his interviews were on for college scholarships. after talking it over with his parents (who are both academically minded folk) he decided to not take the try-out option and instead turn up for the scholarship interviews. about 3 of his team mates went on to play in the US major leagues and he has always wondered whether he might have had that opportunity. alternately, what if he had blown off what went on to become a very successful business career to pursue a b''ball dream that never came to anything? it''s one of those things we''ll never known.....

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread!
1.gif

J would love to have a job involving history--perhaps in a museum, or as a history professor. He''s currently in the health care field and isn''t really a fan.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
If I could choose it, he would be a SAHD and my personal chef because the man can cook.

However, he''s really into musical engineering and spends all of his free time in his studio. It would be great if he could realize his dream of being a producer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results