shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could choose a profession for your spouse/SO...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My DH is a business executive now, for a huge electrical/security contractor, so he mostly works construction projects. Even though the money is great, construction hours suck. We go to bed at 10 pm sharp every night because he has to get up at 5 am every day, and he works from 6:30 am - 5:30 pm regular hours, sometimes longer.

I think that he actually would have made a really good surgeon (he''s got an MBA from a top school & a MENSA IQ, so I''m sure he could have chosen the medical field if he wanted to go to school for that long). It would have given us the same high-salary perks that he enjoys now, and I know that it''s still very long hours, but I think he would have enjoyed the work more. He just didn''t want to go to med school for so many years. The MBA was enough for him.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby is an engineer and really great at it. However, he is a great leader and also very creative. He is an artist in his spare time. I would think he would really enjoy teaching art if he did something different.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
FI would make a great teacher - he teaches me lots of things and is very good at the technique of teaching. He makes learning easy.

Whatever I'd choose for him would be his own business. He works with so many wackos that stress him out all the time - he'd do so great if he wasn't held back and could excel at his own rate.

I'd say either a computer technician (he's a nerd
3.gif
- we just built our own super computer at home!!), or own his own design/construction company (the field he's in now).

ETA: He's really into physical health - I think he'd make a better personal trainer (he's very motivational), or a body-builder.
9.gif
He used to do that anyway.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the fact that D is an architect and he''s so passionate about his work. It''s just unfortunate in todays economy that there isn''t a lot of work going for him. Other than that, I think that it would be cool if he was doing veterinary with me.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:55:27 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Professional golfer. He''s very good. Wins lots of amateur tournaments, might as well make some money at it.

Oh Kaleigh, you''re such a better wife than me
9.gif
- after I read your post, I realized that''s what DH would have wanted me to pick for him.
emembarrassed.gif
Unlike your husband, however, mine doesn''t compete at all - sounds like your DH is really good!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
He would go back into the hard sciences, research of some sort. He''s got a brilliant mind, it makes me sad for him as it''s his passion, but it wouldn''t pay the bills.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH loves his current job, and so do I, so I really wouldn't want him to change. He works for himself, and he cannot get enough of what he does, so it's really an ideal situation.

However, if he had to make a switch, I think he'd love doing something with astrophysics or marine biology. He loves both fields of study, though I'm not sure what the actual jobs would look like. (We have a good friend whose father is an astrophysics prof at Northwestern, DH always has hours long conversations with him whenever we see him at family things for our friend. It's cute.)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
My FI is a fantastic lawyer, but I hate his hours and the fact that work never stays at the office (he even talks in his sleep about cases sometimes).

I think I''d like him to be an independently wealthy high-end travel writer that takes me on assignments all over the world. He''s a great writer, and we love to travel. I speak several languages (and always want to learn more!), so maybe I could be his translator (so I wouldn''t be totally useless).

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband is a brilliant recording engineer, and was planning to pursue it, but dropped it in favor of something that wasn''t so slow starting. I wish he would go back to it, because it made him even happier than what he''s currently doing. I do believe that he will someday, though
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:49:23 PM
Author: FrekeChild
We''ve been over why my post count is so high. And it''s not very often that I''ll just post an emotie.

If I had to choose a profession for FI, I''d say...video game designer/analyst (as in all of the computer coding), a government data analyst or have him start a no-kill animal shelter/sanctuary. He''s a hard one to place, and with him questioning his future in academia lately, it''s become something I''ve put far too much thought into.

Unfortunately, I wish I could come up with something for myself...anything.

For you Freke, what about personal shopper? You have more style in your little pinky than I do ever. I''ve used department store personal shopper several times and am always really happy with what they find for me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 4:30:53 PM
Author: Addy
Date: 4/13/2009 3:49:23 PM
Author: FrekeChild
We''ve been over why my post count is so high. And it''s not very often that I''ll just post an emotie.

If I had to choose a profession for FI, I''d say...video game designer/analyst (as in all of the computer coding), a government data analyst or have him start a no-kill animal shelter/sanctuary. He''s a hard one to place, and with him questioning his future in academia lately, it''s become something I''ve put far too much thought into.

Unfortunately, I wish I could come up with something for myself...anything.
For you Freke, what about personal shopper? You have more style in your little pinky than I do ever. I''ve used department store personal shopper several times and am always really happy with what they find for me.
Awwww Addy! Thanks for thinking of me! And you have more style than you think!!! I have thought of a personal shopper, BUT I don''t live in a big enough city to have enough people willing to pay for them. Or people who make enough money either. But if FI gets a job out of state (keep your fingers crossed!) I''m really going to look into it. For now, I''m happy trying to find shoes and other clothing items for all of you lovely PSers!!!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have the handy dandy fix-it guy who works well for others, but hates fixing things at home (and believe me, there''s lots to be fixed). We''re like the cobbler''s kids
9.gif

I think he''d be great in an IT field or in R & D because he''s so detail oriented, but not much of an organizer.
23.gif
As an example, every year for the past 25, he says he''s going to have a yard/garage sale to get rid of all the junk/collectables he brought from our first house back in 1964. He wants NO help as he sees it as interference, and feels one of us willing helpers might accidentally toss something "of true value to somebody". Hello??? Hoarders'' Anonymous, we need an intervention here.
38.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Electrical engineer! VERY exciting, right???
9.gif

He has always been interested in the electrical field, but didn''t want to go through all of the schooling required to become an electrical engineer. So, he became an electrician instead. He worked as an electrician for several years, and recently got promoted to a supervisory position within his company. So, he has a cushy desk job now! LOL!
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a handy husband too, and he did construction for several years, and enjoyed it-but around here it doesn''t pay the bills or come with insurance. He''s a foreman at the packing house now and does not like it, tho it pays ok. We''re hoping being on the Reserves now will parlay itself into a job either with the town cops or the Sheriff''s department this summer-he loves law enforcement. Otherwise, I think he''d do well in politics. If we were a little more well to do and could afford for him to run for office-he''d be excellent at it.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
High-school or college-level math teacher/professor. He''s got a math background and is incredibly patient & skilled at explaining.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH is currently a journalist...I can see him doing advertising, PR, or being a lawyer - anything that deals with pressure, creativity, and writing. Since there''s always talk about how journalism is a fading profession, this is actually a convo we have on a regular basis (though I hope it never comes to that - he loves what he does).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Anything that would make him happier than the job he has now - poor guy is miserable, stressed out, and has a super long commute
7.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I really can''t choose one for him. He really likes what he does, to a point that even when the job stresses him out to a 16-hour days he still does not complaint. If I can have one wish it would be that he does not need to work so many hours!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think my BF would be much happier running his own business. I am just not sure in what. He has an MBA, and is very smart, but he often was board of his job. I think he would love the challenge of creating something and being in control.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t really imagine DH doing anything other than what he does. He''s so enthusiastic about it that I often make fun of him for talking about it too much, since other people are usually bored
1.gif
But secretly, I think it''s really cute...

I would like to have a husband that was a combination accountant/lawyer/contractor/auto mechanic. But I guess he''s worth it!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CEO of a super big internet company
11.gif

JAY KAY!

Mr. Kama is an electrical engineer, but works primarily in the world of internet (business/software). I know how much he''d enjoy working for a purely engineering job - like building remote controls or airplanes. The salary is absolute crap though.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
FI is a mechanical engineer and from what I hear, is super good at it. I think the job is a great fit for him, just his company is crap. He works for a defense contractor, but I think something like working on the space station would make him super happy.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:55:43 PM
Author: vespergirl
My DH is a business executive now, for a huge electrical/security contractor, so he mostly works construction projects. Even though the money is great, construction hours suck. We go to bed at 10 pm sharp every night because he has to get up at 5 am every day, and he works from 6:30 am - 5:30 pm regular hours, sometimes longer.

I think that he actually would have made a really good surgeon (he''s got an MBA from a top school & a MENSA IQ, so I''m sure he could have chosen the medical field if he wanted to go to school for that long). It would have given us the same high-salary perks that he enjoys now, and I know that it''s still very long hours, but I think he would have enjoyed the work more. He just didn''t want to go to med school for so many years. The MBA was enough for him.

Interesting...
My husband is a veterinarian, and I don''t know if it''s different in the US, but in Australia, the profession is completely lame as far as work hours and income go.

My husband has worked so hard, for so long, is so smart and is such a self-starter, I can''t help wishing sometimes that he went into human medicine (where the pay is sooo much better and the clients are nicer to you) or perhaps into something completely different, like business!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 12:44:55 AM
Author: LaraOnline

Date: 4/13/2009 3:55:43 PM
Author: vespergirl

Interesting...
My husband is a veterinarian, and I don''t know if it''s different in the US, but in Australia, the profession is completely lame as far as work hours and income go.

My husband has worked so hard, for so long, is so smart and is such a self-starter, I can''t help wishing sometimes that he went into human medicine (where the pay is sooo much better and the clients are nicer to you) or perhaps into something completely different, like business!
Lara, you have every girl''s dream life! Two beautiful kids & a hunky husband who''s a veterinarian? You lucky girl! I bet you have a pony too, don''t you?
emotion-5.gif
Seriously, though, I think being a vet must be a very rewarding job, but I think it''s underappreciated here in the states too. It seems like it''s so difficult to learn - doctors who treat humans have to learn only one anatomy, and vets so many for different animals. I understand that here in the states vet pay is also much lower than that of other doctors, but for anyone who has animals, they know that the lives of our furry creatures are so important to us as well. Does your family have a lot of pets? My vet''s family has so many, and they are always bringing home strays - we call him Dr. Doolittle
emteeth.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My husband works in corporate investigations...and he''s pretty high up...and he likes what he does...but, I think he would have made an amazing FBI agent. No joke. He worked border patrol for a while, and he was good at it...I
30.gif
it when he tells me some of his stories, it''s just an interesting line of work. Although, he''ll tell you was never much of the type to kick in doors...his job suites him just fine.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. John has a very nice voice. So maybe broadcasting. But he''s interoverted. He has a great imagination and tells wonderful stories. And he likes helping people and making them happy. And he loves movies and enjoys cooking. I think he''d be a great TV chef.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fiance is currently a software engineer (he basically does video-game type coding), he enjoys his work, but I think he''d rather be a pro poker player, he loves the game :)

My personal dream though, would be to marry a talented chef, who would then be a stay at home dad, hehe..

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Sports analyst/color commentator. He''s a SERIOUS sports junkie, and has relevant stats/trivia for just about any sporting event, from college hockey to the Tour De France to NBA basketball. Plus, if we hit the ''mute'' button during a game, he''ll ramble on about it anyhow. And I''m inclined to think his voice and charming good looks would be perfect for tv
2.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
My fiance has expressed the desire to be a travel or food writer (Kittybean, maybe they can go into business together!), or a restaurant owner. While the latter would be more a difficult lifestyle, he''d be so good at it! He''s come very close, so it''s not out of the question.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:53:48 PM
Author:TravelingGal
other than what he currently does or anything in the jewelery/gem profession, what would you choose and why?

(see DF, this is what you get for asking a rerun question today.)

Same profession he''s going into - law. Sure it''ll be busy and hectic and we''ll hardly see each other when we start working, but I know that he''ll understand the stresses of the job (since he''ll have the same job) and vice versa. Plus I like talking to him about stuff we''re learning, school, jobs, etc.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results