shape
carat
color
clarity

if PS had a PM option will you activate yours?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
all other forums that i frequent have PMs and we don't have any problems.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably not. History doesn't need to repeat itself.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Probably, assuming i could turn it off later on (or ignore people on it) if it proved to be too annoying.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, I can't imagine anyone would send nasty PMs.

When people want to be nasty they want to insult you in public.
No?

Why would anyone disable PMs if a board allowed them?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
History. And Kenny, yes, there are people who will be nasty in a PM because they don't want everyone knowing how nasty they can be.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sure, why not?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1317066130|3026073 said:
History. And Kenny, yes, there are people who will be nasty in a PM because they don't want everyone knowing how nasty they can be.

Wow, well I'll say this right now.
If anyone did that to me I'd post their PM so it would not be private at all.
Protocol be damned.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep mine deactivated except in very specific circumstances: reaching out to someone specific, contacting people regarding GTGs, selling/finding stuff, personal communications about something...

I honestly just have no interest in obligating myself to keep up with discussions and gossip outside of the forums - if it can't be posted online on PS or sent by email it's probably worth neither my time nor my attention. I have enough other venues for drama! I know a few PSers by email and there are definitely others I'd like to get in contact with, though.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Sure, I'd have no problem with it as long as I could 'block' anyone who's annoying me. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1317068652|3026124 said:

Wow, well I'll say this right now.
If anyone did that to me I'd post their PM so it would not be private at all.
Protocol be damned.
Oh if it happens again, you can bet that itll be posted here, there and everywhere. Screenshots and all, wouldn't want anyone claiming they were fabricated like in the past.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with this. I've encountered it on FB too. I like the idea of PM's, but don't think it would be very useful to me personally. If it were instituted, I'd turn it on. I don't care what people have to say to me. I wouldn't have a problem quoting them to the admins.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can admin read people's PMs?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to moderate a forum and it would let me read pm's. I didn't though. That would feel like an invasion of privacy.

I don't want PM's here. I can't stand the drama. It would be horrible. Far too many people with a nasty streak for my liking.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I would only activate in specific circumstances. Honestly, with fb, I can pretty much contact anyone I want. There are a couple Mommies that I haven't been able to find and if we had PM, it would most likely just to be in contact with those girls. I enjoy talking to a variety of people in threads, not just one or two, so PM's would be pretty unnecessary for me personally.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
back when we had PMs i never did received any nasty PMs from any PS members,but then I am sucha nice guy :saint: no one dare to send me nasty PMs.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1317069079|3026131 said:
I would keep mine deactivated except in very specific circumstances: reaching out to someone specific, contacting people regarding GTGs, selling/finding stuff, personal communications about something...

I honestly just have no interest in obligating myself to keep up with discussions and gossip outside of the forums - if it can't be posted online on PS or sent by email it's probably worth neither my time nor my attention. I have enough other venues for drama! I know a few PSers by email and there are definitely others I'd like to get in contact with, though.
I'm with Yssie.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I'd activate it. Why not? I don't see the harm. I would like to have the option of deactivating it at some point if I felt the need though.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with Yssie, too.

Based on my past experiences with forums where PM's were available, the feeling of Pricescope would radically change. Now, if you have something to say, you post it, and it's all out there. If someone wants to respond to that post, it's also all out there, bad or good. In my experience, what tends to happen on forums with PM's is that cliques form. Someone may post something with very little public response, but there's a whole wad of PM's going on behind the scenes. Drama can certainly be one of the results, and I avoid drama if I possibly can.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock

Ditto!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I can always delete and/or ignore people. :D As for people insulting me, yeah, I am a middle school teacher I get insulted daily. :rolleyes:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1317078482|3026286 said:
I think I'd activate it. Why not? I don't see the harm. I would like to have the option of deactivating it at some point if I felt the need though.

Ditto! I ain't scurred.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1317083870|3026375 said:
Zoe|1317078482|3026286 said:

Ditto! I ain't scurred.

Thritto. I know there's the option of FB, but, frankly, it's too much of a hassle to keep up with two different platforms, and I don't like the format nearly as much. It'd be nice to have the kind of long, meandering conversations we have in our threads* without worrying about periodically derailing said threads ....

*Though, frankly, threaded posting would accomplish much the same, as long as we're tossing ideas out there.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1317076201|3026257 said:
back when we had PMs i never did received any nasty PMs from any PS members,but then I am sucha nice guy :saint: no one dare to send me nasty PMs.
They just talked about you behind your back. :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie|1317072548|3026194 said:
I used to moderate a forum and it would let me read pm's. I didn't though. That would feel like an invasion of privacy.

I don't want PM's here. I can't stand the drama. It would be horrible. Far too many people with a nasty streak for my liking.

Long time no see! Or maybe just me no see :cheeky:

I wouldn't activate PM's as I fear verbal attacks. Especially when the other person thinks I'm the only one who can see it (be it the case or not)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I dont use any of the other functions that PS has right now :wacko: I also don't have FB.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
No thanks. I get my fill of drama queens at work.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I don't see the point of having PMs in a forum like PS. If it is something that you don't want to say IN the thread then it is probably something that shouldn't be said. If a poster wants to PM something 'personal' to another PSer then that PSer is probably someone you know outside of PS and the message should be sent another way. Other than that I can see it being used in a negative way. It would change the feel of this forum. The conversations that take place in the "interesting" threads that pop up will suffer.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The thing is... if YOU keep yours deactivated except when YOU want to reach out... no one else can reach out to you and if everyone else followed that no one would be available for you to reach out to.

I would do it. But I'd be happier if there were a block feature to block accounts that were bothering me. And a report button that would send it to admin. Yay - more work for them! I'd like it though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results