shape
carat
color
clarity

If polishing a chip removes half a point, must I recert?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, if I have my GIA stone polished a little to remove a small chip, and it removes some weight (we estimate half a point), do I need to recert? I wouldn't need to just for me, but is there any other reason to? Say if I wanted to resell, trade-in, insurance-related, etc? Right now the stone is loose, so this would be the time to do it (before it's set). But I don't want to recert if not really needed.

Let me know your thoughts...

Anne

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, let me just put the pic up here and see what your opinions are.

392_faceup_marked_up.jpg

My options right now:

A. Leave the stone as is. Set it as is.
B. Polish just #1 (large indented natural). Cutter expects that the stone's current weight would not change, but presumably the stone would no longer perfectly match the diagram on the GIA cert (does that matter?)
C. Polish #1, #2, #3 (whole girdle). Stone's current weight expected to change by ~1 point. Weight and girdle would no longer match the GIA cert. In this scenario would the stone's shape/outline change materially?

Which option would you recommend?

And if B or C, should I recert for any reason?

Anne

PS - I am currently planning to set in a prong halo setting, if that matters.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Leave it alone unless either the damage bugs you, you're trying to sell it, or you get hastled by your insurer over 'pre-existing' damage.

If you get hastled, consider changing insurers. As long as you are properly disclosing things, meaning as long as you submit a current and competent appraisal, you should have no problem. Minor girdle abraisons are common with Euros and shouldn't affect your insurability.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Denver Appraiser (and anyone else),

Thank you for this opinion! I think the damage might bug me enough to want to do something about it.

In that case, I'd probably take option C which is to polish the whole girdle, which may change the weight a smidge. If I do this, is there any practical/legal reason I *should* recert?

Thanks!

Anne

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say...beautiful stone!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
anne_h|1309209779|2956504 said:
Hi Denver Appraiser (and anyone else),

Thank you for this opinion! I think the damage might bug me enough to want to do something about it.

In that case, I'd probably take option C which is to polish the whole girdle, which may change the weight a smidge. If I do this, is there any practical/legal reason I *should* recert?

Thanks!

Anne

To have the proper grading report to match the stone as the dimensions will change. This might be helpful in the future for all kinds of scenarios.

I agree with Neil's initial writing and more..., minor chips and nicks are part of the OldCut character.
By retouching the girdle (at minimal weightloss) area your cutter plans to either repolish the whole girdle (less likely) or only parts of it. Since genuine OldCuts usually possess knife edge (extremely thin) gridle areas once the cutter recuts the chips and/or indented naturals simply by working the girdle plane only, those areas can become pretty thick rather quickly which IMO take away from it's natural old world character. If you do decide to retouch the stone it should be done correctly (by a cutter with "OldCut" experience) by repolishing the lower & upper girdle facets as well to complete the job thoroughly. As we don't know the weight do be careful not to drop under the full weight marks (eg 1.00ct etc..). Another point to take into consideration is the (rare) situation but possible of damage in the process. So if those little chips/nicks are minor, I would suggest thinking twice.

Whatever you decide...., good luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results