shape
carat
color
clarity

If it is rhodium plated, why not stainless instead of gold

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering - why do people not rhodium plate stainless steel or other metal with desirable characteristics?

Since it is completely plated, and replated occasionally when the plating degrades - why even use gold as a base?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: If it is rhodium plated, why not stainless instead of go

There's nothing wrong with stainless steel and the fact that it's less expensive is certainly an advantage but there's a certain amount of tradition associated with using gold for jewelry that appeals to people. If steel fits your budget or you otherwise like it, I see no problem although there are certain designs that couldn't reasonably be manufacured in steel. The properties of gold in terms of manufacturing are substantilally different from those of steel. It's also worth noting that steel is fifficult to manufacture one-off types of job. By this I mean custom designs. Making the first doodad in steel is quite difficult but it then becomes easy to make 100,000 like it. This lends itself to making wedding bands and belly button rings but not so much to diamond rings.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

denverappraiser|1308574065|2950063 said:
There's nothing wrong with stainless steel and the fact that it's less expensive is certainly an advantage but there's a certain amount of tradition associated with using gold for jewelry that appeals to people. If steel fits your budget or you otherwise like it, I see no problem although there are certain designs that couldn't reasonably be manufacured in steel.

The properties of gold in terms of manufacturing are substantilally different from those of steel. This includes that steel is difficult to manufacture one-off types of job. By this I mean custom designs. Making the first doodad in steel is quite difficult but it then becomes easy to make 100,000 like it. This lends itself to making wedding bands and belly button rings but not so much to diamond rings.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Interesting... I believe that you Could hand forge stainless, but the workmanship might actually be more tedious than working with gold... I'm not sure.

Just that if it is always plated, then just get something cheaper and plate it... why plate something expensive and then not show it at all? I guess if silver is easier to smith, then silver plated rhodium might work too...

It was more a hypothetical question.

That necklace looks handmade and fairly complicated. Quite pretty!

druidtime

Rough_Rock

Tradition, purity, symbolism, etc.

If that were 100% true we would all be wearing soft, 24k gold rings.

It is a truly a matter of preference! We now see tungsten and other metals getting popular too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results