shape
carat
color
clarity

If ideal cuts, rather have 1.55-G-VS2 or 1.75-I-VS2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmicusDye

Rough_Rock
Assuming both stones are ideal in cut, which do you prefer? Just curious as to what other people like.
Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 1:24:01 PM
Author:AmicusDye
Assuming both stones are ideal in cut, which do you prefer? Just curious as to what other people like.
Thanks!
Assuming by ideal cut we are discussing true top make cuts with GIA or AGS reports, then I would choose the I VS2 as I always prefer size.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto! 1.75 for sure
31.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2009 1:24:01 PM
Author:AmicusDye
Thanks!

No idea which you would like, but 9 out of 10 in house clients would choose the larger stone, especially if they are shown the diamonds without being told which is the "better" diamond on paper. (assuming cut is equal as you stated!)

Wink

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I''d want the biggun too!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bigger, always.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
bigger!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the slightly smaller G color.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Usually I would go for the bigger one, but I think 1.5 ct. is such a nice size and I don''t know if I would want to go bigger for everyday.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Bigger! I definitely wouldn''t be able to tell colour difference between G and I, especially with ideal cuts, and I''m partial to the "warmer" colours anyway.

AmicusDye

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everybody! Actually, I was a little surprised by the responses in that I expected most of the expert eyes on this board to select the whiter stone over the bigger stone. Shows you what I know.

The truth is, as much I would like to say that the only people I want to be impressed with the diamond are my fiance-to-be and myself, I can''t help but wonder what others will think (or say) to my wonderful girlfriend if they can detect the lower color grade.

thanks again!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ll take the G VS2
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It's unlikely that they'll be able to tell, assuming it's really well cut. It's harder to see color differences in diamonds once they're in settings, especially if they're not right next to each other. Only obsessive diamond nuts with sensitive eyes are likely to notice.

Still, if you're worried what others might think, you could choose a larger, eye-clean SI1 or SI2 in a higher color.

lewis25

Rough_Rock
I would go with the G. I like whiter stones and I color isn''t white enough for me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 6:07:21 PM
Author: AmicusDye
Thanks, everybody! Actually, I was a little surprised by the responses in that I expected most of the expert eyes on this board to select the whiter stone over the bigger stone. Shows you what I know.

The truth is, as much I would like to say that the only people I want to be impressed with the diamond are my fiance-to-be and myself, I can''t help but wonder what others will think (or say) to my wonderful girlfriend if they can detect the lower color grade.

thanks again!
Go for the absolute best ideal cut possible, and I doubt anyone would ever be able to guess the colour of the I stone. Like others have suggested, you could easily go down a bit in clarity, stay up in colour and again, no one would be the wiser but you, if the cut is ideal. I see lots of people who go for top colour first and then clarity and then carat weight decides what they can afford. That''s all backwards. It should always be cut first, then you can fiddle with colour and clarity and your budget decides carat for you.
2.gif
With the best cut stone, it will definitely be a great sparkling performer, and that''s what other people do notice.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I''d also take the 1.75. I''m going to echo many of the others and say an I won''t look yellow at all assuming GIA/AGS ideal cut.

Don''t forget that Tiffany''s sells I colored diamonds! They are beautiful! You may see a difference if placed directly next to a colorless stone, but it wouldn''t bother me one bit.
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 2:11:22 PM
Author: vespergirl
I would go for the slightly smaller G color.

Ditto but I am strange like that ;-)

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I''d go with the I.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bigger here too. As long as it''s under 2 carats.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I surprised myself with my initial first thought: G VS2
6.gif

Assuming it's for a ring, I think I'd rather have the whiter stone. The difference in size is not enough for a jump of two colours for me, I *think*!! (but then I am fickle like that, he he
1.gif
3.gif
).

soocool

Ideal_Rock
So, if I chose the I color and put that in a halo surrounded by F/G stones, would I be able to tell that the center stone was off by 2 to 3 colors?
Could I still tell if the halo stones were G/H?? or should all stones be the same color???

AmicusDye

Rough_Rock
Interesting update: i just got off the phone with the manager at the retailer who is selling these diamonds. Basicially, the discussion came down to the following three:

(All are ideal cut, symm, and polish with HCAs of less than 2)

#1) 1.75 - I - VS2 (Least expensive)
#2) 1.75 - G - SI1 ($1600 more than #1)
#3) 1.55 - G - VS2 ($2000 more than #1)

He was very informative (and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me) but in the end said that the best stone to purchase was #1. He said that bigger is always better so rule out #3 and the jump from G to I is not as significant as VS2 to SI1 in terms of customer satisfaction. He said he never gets I stones back for color but does get SI1 stones returned for clarity issues. Interesting stuff...especially because the stone he is recommending is the least expensive of the three.

-Amicus

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I agree with your vendor - an I is actually my favorite color in person in an ideal cut stone, and I wish I had gone larger and gotten an I for my e-ring rather than the G I ended up with. The stone sounds lovely - can''t wait to see pictures
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
He sounds like he''s giving you his honest opinion, which is confidence-inspiring. I''d feel good about taking his advice.

tdha

Rough_Rock
personally I would choose the G

can you take your gf to a jeweler and see if she cares about color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results