shape
carat
color
clarity

If I ask you and your SO to join my wife and I for dinner at a restaurant.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you expect me to pick up the dinner tab?

Reactions: AV_

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
We've gone out to dinner with lots of other couples and each couple has always paid their own bill, regardless of who asked who to go. So in my experience, that's the expectation.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because it's you, yes ;-)

:lol:

But no, not really - I would always assume the plan was to 'Go Dutch'!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends. Either we split the bill or we pay for everyone and the next time the other couple pays for dinner. If we split it we split it evenly independent on who ordered what. I don't drink alcohol so generally you would be getting the better part of that deal @Dancing Fire and I know that appeals to you.;))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, we never expect you to pick up the tab. Each couple pays for themselves because no one feels like keeping track of who paid last - ha!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to Jordy’s! Sorry DF.

Really, we’d pay our own or split evenly.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. I'd expect you to cover you and your wife.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you start talking politics, yes :lol-2: lol

No I would not and don't think it is customary in the US. In other countries if you say "I'm inviting you" however, that means you intend to pay.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
No, I'd either expect to split the bill 50/50 if it was all roughly equal or each couple pays their own.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you asked in particular @Dancing Fire, yes I'd let you pay. I see your big rocks and your Chanels;)2
Totally joking! Never would I expect the person who invited me to dinner to pay. However if they insisted, I would let them, but I would make sure I paid for the next meal.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The convention here is that it's assumed that each will pay their own way, unless it is made clear in the invitation that this is not the case (usually by saying "my treat" or "we'd love to take you out for dinner" or something along a similar vein).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well you should, but we would offer to split it, as we are those kind of peeps.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you asked in particular @Dancing Fire, yes I'd let you pay. I see your big rocks and your Chanels;)2
Totally joking! Never would I expect the person who invited me to dinner to pay. However if they insisted, I would let them, but I would make sure I paid for the next meal.
Deal!...I'll invite to McDonald's and the next time we'll go to Morton's.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We will our portion. However, if we were really good friends, I'd gladly pay for yours too.

Reactions: AV_

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’d likely fight over who is paying and then end up splitting the check. Lol

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Split 50/50 if everyone has more or less the same amount in value of food and drink.

If someone has significantly more alcoholic drinks or more expensive food than the others, then I believe it is only fair for that person to pay more.

I know of peeps who would order seafood and expensive wine if they are not paying. And when it is their turn to pay, they would claim not to be hungry right from the start. I do not like these people.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don’t go out with friends for dinner that often..but I do go out to lunch with friends quite a bit...and not always fancy...I always split the check equally with my friends in all other states but here. One of my friends here counts everything down to the penny..adds a tip and leaves that. It’s extremely embarrassing. She is extremely generous with us with gifts but when it comes to paying for a restaurant bill she’ll put out nickels and pennies down to make up the exact tip she wants. She undertips them. I’m easygoing but this really bothers me. Now I put money in my pocket and leave it on the table. I make sure I’m the last to leave the table. The others have caught on...Now we just tell her we’ll put it on our charge and she can give us whatever.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know of peeps who would order seafood and expensive wine if they are not paying. And when it is their turn to pay, they would claim not to be hungry right from the start. I do not like these people.

That would be very rude!...:nono:

Then you tell em you are very hungry tonight and order two meals...:wink2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, we never expect you to pick up the tab. Each couple pays for themselves because no one feels like keeping track of who paid last - ha!!
PSer rule #1...The person sporting the most expensive diamond picks up the tab...:bigsmile:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amongst millennials, we split the bill. Amongst older generations, we offer to split and see where that conversation goes. Sometimes, others insist on paying. I prefer not to do that dance though.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
DF, knowing that you're Chinese, and so am I....we would probably have a 3-way wrestling match to see who can yank the bill out of the waiters hands and/or shove our handful of cash to the waiter first!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
DF, knowing that you're Chinese, and so am I....we would probably have a 3-way wrestling match to see who can yank the bill out of the waiters hands and/or shove our handful of cash to the waiter first!

Well, that is if we are doing things the traditional Chinese way...that is what happens when my parents and their friends go out. Everyone fights to pay :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. We would take the check and split it down the middle. It would be to your advantage @Dancing Fire because we don’t drink alcohol.

I would make you promise to not talk politics.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also Chinese myself, and I only do that with very close friends. Or pay in advance on my way to use the facilities before the meal is completely over.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is totally my Jewish family! Big fights over the bill.

Generally with friends I just evenly split the bill. I rarely drink but still split. I dislike the you had this, I had this, etc. conversation. It’s been a long time since anyone took advantage of my willingness to split. Maybe cause we eat and drink less as we age?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not assume you are paying unless you specifically offer for a special occasion (ie. my birthday etc), usually we'd split 50/50 unless someone ordered extra bottle of wine that only they drink so they may choose to pay for that too.

I've been caught out a bit this past long weekend, went on holiday with a friend who literally eats twice what I do (and is much richer!) yet would split the bill 50/50 without a second thought every time... :doh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results